Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I'm considering purchasing a used '11 Boxster PDK with 40k miles. What are some known issues on these cars and things to look out for?

VIN: WP0CA2A85BS710139

Clean carfax. 1 owner. it's sitting at a maserati dealership locally.

is there a way to find out what options are on the car? Porsches have too many options lol

This will be a second car and won't see too many miles.

I am not in a hurry so I want to take my time and get the right one.. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here's your build sheet.

https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/details.php?vin=WP0CA2A85BS710139

The short answer is: a properly maintained 987.2 with PDK is pretty much bullet proof.

I'd check with dealer to see if they can get the maintenance history from the PO. Carfax also sometimes lists maintenance.

Lastly, the BS says the Porsche warranty runs through March 31, 2015 so that should still be in effect. Call Porsche CS to verify.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's your build sheet.

https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/details.php?vin=WP0CA2A85BS710139

The short answer is: a properly maintained 987.2 with PDK is pretty much bullet proof.

I'd check with dealer to see if they can get the maintenance history from the PO. Carfax also sometimes lists maintenance.

Lastly, the BS says the Porsche warranty runs through March 31, 2015 so that should still be in effect. Call Porsche CS to verify.

Good luck,

Eddie
Do you mind me asking how you pulled up his build sheet? I have always been curious of mine.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not at all.

Copy and paste the link for the OP's BS into your favorite browser. Replace the OP's VIN with yours and hit return. It should display that VIN's BS.

This can go away at any time so I would save an image of your BS.

Eddie

Do you mind me asking how you pulled up his build sheet? I have always been curious of mine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
"it's sitting at a Maserati dealership locally" If it's a CPO warranty will not be honored, you have to buy it from an individual or a Porsche dealer..the policy is stupid. If it's the original Porsche new car warranty then you're good to go.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
"it's sitting at a Maserati dealership locally" If it's a CPO warranty will not be honored, you have to buy it from an individual or a Porsche dealer..the policy is stupid. If it's the original Porsche new car warranty then you're good to go.
Looks like the warranty was punched on March 31, 2011, and since only 40K miles, warranty is good until March 31, 2015 or 50K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes warranty expires in 4 months. It's listed @ $36k.. clean car but doesn't have full leather or xenons. decent deal but not great imo.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
i had no issues with my 2010 pdk.. i sold it at 50kmiles... i ran autocheck pretty clean.. pm me if you want the report..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried, but it won't let me edit the VIN.

Not at all.

Copy and paste the link for the OP's BS into your favorite browser. Replace the OP's VIN with yours and hit return. It should display that VIN's BS.

This can go away at any time so I would save an image of your BS.

Eddie

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I tried that, but it won't let me change the ViN.
He means replace the VIN portion of the URL with your VIN. It is at the top of your browser.
example "https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/details.php?vin=WP0AA2A94AUnnnnnn"

Then hit return or the arrow icon, or whatever your browser needs to navigate to the URL.

·
Registered
134 Posts
One of the most reliable cars and best built on the planet.
Just turned 140,000 miles and all I had to replace is the oil separator $90 and the water pump and the led light that shines on the shift knob.
(other than the regular maintenance items, plugs, ign coils, brakes, clutch ..)
Thats is pretty incredible for a daily driver.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
On the other hand, with my 2010 Cayman DD - I've had over $30,000 in repairs (parts & labor not including maintenance) done under warranty. Total out-of-service time was about 6 weeks. Now that it is out-of-warranty I hope that trend doesn't continue.

·
Registered
895 Posts
This here is downright scary. In my many, many hours of research, the 987.2 with PDK had very few high end failures unlike the 987.1's.

Eddie

On the other hand, with my 2010 Cayman DD - I've had over $30,000 in repairs (parts & labor not including maintenance) done under warranty. Total out-of-service time was about 6 weeks. Now that it is out-of-warranty I hope that trend doesn't continue.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Brave man, $30K in repairs and you are still keeping it? I would had dump that faster than a cheating gf.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Brave man, $30K in repairs and you are still keeping it? I would had dump that faster than a cheating gf.
Well, it didn't come out of my pocket. Porsche lost money on my car - big-time. Now I figure the odds of something big going wrong are no worse that anyone else's. So why unload the car?
The vast majority of that was a brand-new engine @26K miles. Not a rebuilt crate engine - new 2012 off the assembly line with all new bolt-ons. So it was sort of a free reset of all engine maintenance. I've now got 63K miles and I'm happy. Besides that, I've had all the usual stuff go out: water pump; shift cables; strut bearing; clutch switch x2; probably a few others.

This was on a 2010 2.9L Cayman that I bought new. Yes, I'm one of the select few who've had a 9A1 engine go belly-up. A freak defect. A couple head bolts let-go causing coolant loss, compression loss, miss-firing on 2 cylinders, and eventually overheating. At first it was diagnosed as a blown head-gasket. It wasn't until repair & reassembly that the tech realized he couldn't torque the head bolts for cylinders 5&6. PCNA quickly approved replacement with a new engine, but there were no spares in the US (it was so rare that they failed), so they shipped one from Germany - supposedly only one of 4 available world-wide.

IMG_20120116_125716.jpg IMG_20120116_125738.jpg

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's a beautiful engine!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well, it didn't come out of my pocket. Porsche lost money on my car - big-time. Now I figure the odds of something big going wrong are no worse that anyone else's. So why unload the car?
The vast majority of that was a brand-new engine @26K miles. Not a rebuilt crate engine - new 2012 off the assembly line with all new bolt-ons. So it was sort of a free reset of all engine maintenance. I've now got 63K miles and I'm happy. Besides that, I've had all the usual stuff go out: water pump; shift cables; strut bearing; clutch switch x2; probably a few others.

This was on a 2010 2.9L Cayman that I bought new. Yes, I'm one of the select few who've had a 9A1 engine go belly-up. A freak defect. A couple head bolts let-go causing coolant loss, compression loss, miss-firing on 2 cylinders, and eventually overheating. At first it was diagnosed as a blown head-gasket. It wasn't until repair & reassembly that the tech realized he couldn't torque the head bolts for cylinders 5&6. PCNA quickly approved replacement with a new engine, but there were no spares in the US (it was so rare that they failed), so they shipped one from Germany - supposedly only one of 4 available world-wide.

View attachment 53095 View attachment 53096
Sounds like you have another brand new car. I could understand keeping it at this point.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow !!! that is one sexy looking engine.
Oh I forgot one more thing, I replaced the brake pedal switch $20. I kept getting PSM and ABS failure messages, after some research on the forum I was able to figure out the problem, but it was such an intermittent problem that it took me a while to focus and do the research to figure out the solution, cause my Porsche specialty shop didn't have an idea and I had no codes on my Durametric Professional scanning software. But $20 later everything was back to normal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts