Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to order a 2011 Cayman S with a paint to sample? thank you in advance...

I am going to try next week...undecided between turquoise blue and the gray of the 2010 GT3 RS

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still waiting on the Spyder...according to the dealer they have no idea what the hold up is...I have to say I am very disappointed in the dealer and how they have changed over the years...I have been doing business with them since 1983...I figured by the time the Spyder arrives and how long it would take to do a paint to sample I would be bored with the Spyder and ready to move on ...on a paint to sample Cayman S I was thinking of Turquoise Blue or the Gray that the 2010 GT3 RS comes in and that I would get the mirrors, side intakes and front and rear grill areas painted red along with the wheels in red with the interior done in black with alcantara seat inserts, steering wheel, shifter, e-brake, door panels and headliner...lets see what happens...will keep you posted...

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Another Paint To Sample color to keep in mind if you like the GT3-RS grey is Lava Grey Metallic.

This was the color used on the 997.2 Turbo they had on display at the NY Auto Show. Very similar to the GT3-RS, but with metallic flakes. The GT3-RS gray is a flat color and dare I say, primer like...

I don't have a full image of Lava Grey, but this is the best I have of it.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I sat in one of the grey GT3 RS's today. It just arrived at a local dealer here in Boston. Sticker was $157K. Beautiful car! However, the grey is not at all a "flat" color like primer. The contrasting red paint looks great. I suppose I could pass on my '11 CS for one of these...

Regarding the Boxster Spyder, I haven't been following the threads on this car, but I saw one at the dealer a few weeks ago. It disappeared rather suddenly. I was told they are having difficulty with the roof flying off at speed. Having looked at it, it really does look like a very marginal design. It's kind of like a napkin laying on the car.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer flat to metallic paints...another choice would be slate gray from the 60's and 70's 911 and 912 Porsches again with red accents...

Just venting on the Spyder and the issues with the roof...it is unbelievable the lack of contact from the dealer...what I know I know from this forum...in fact when one of the sales people did fess up he stated he was specifically told not to speak about it...its not as if Porsche's are flying out of the show rooms these days... I would think when they had a client, especially one that has a decades long relationship they might want to consider having .... what they call it ... oh yeah that's right ... a customer service mind set...will never happen...the more I think about it the more pi**ed off I get...

·
Cayman Owner
100 Posts
Just FYI.... I know of a boxster spider sitting In the Princeton Porsche showroom. By chance the dealer u ordered from? Looks great... They have a new gt3rs in there too.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope...I ordered in North Jersey where the dealer has a new multi million dollar facility on one of the main highways in Northern NJ in Bergen County...might be on the verge of drinking his namesake

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
He He, the only dealer in NJ with a drinking name that I can think of is "Jack Daniels" Porsche, but seems out of place, not being Tennessee and all... ;)

Does your dealer have the 2011 order guide? IF so what does it say about wait/lead time? Typically there is a window where they will accept paint to sample orders and that is listed in the order guide, if you are within that window then it will also give an estimated time until completion which I think is typically around 6 months additional. I suppose if you chose a pre-existing Porsche color it might be faster since they wouldn't have to test the paint and the formula they'd already have, but that's just speculation.

·
VLAGER
294 Posts
At the NY auto show there was a Porsche factory rep -first name Sascha-who talked about paint to order. He said that this process takes 4-5 months to do. Porsche cannot do Gulf blue as Gulf controls the color. I am sure that if you contacted Manny or Vu at PCA national they could put you in direct contact with Sascha and you would get the straight story.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I am in the process of ordering a '11 CS. The order guides are not out yet. My dealer told me he now has a build slot for my '11 car. He said it is a quirk with Porsche that they will allow you to order a car early in the model year before the order guides and pricing are out. I imagine one reason the order guides are not out yet is because there is still so much 2009 and 2010 inventory around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A bit off topic. Jonathan, mind PMing your dealer? I'm actually looking at 2010 Cayman's right now and I'm in Boston as well. Trying to see which one to work with since there a quite a few to choose from around here.

Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Turquoise Blue looks like a fun color

Much better than a boring grey IMO ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.