Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"The entry-level V6 Panamera and Panamera 4 represent far less of a sacrifice than you might imagine...

but we wondered if 295 lb-ft of torque and 300 hp would cut it in a 4000-pound sedan.We can confidently answer in the affirmative...

The performance is good. At any point in the rev band, the V-6 is eager and responsive, and it remains strong into high triple-digit speeds

We were surprised at how much we liked this engine. There’s even a nice bellow when you fire it up, and the hoarse engine note, clearly audible throughout the rev band, is as appealing to our ears as is the V-8’s voluminous bass.

The rear-wheel-drive Panamera stays neutral up to speeds where the competition simply can’t, and with a lenient stability-control setting selected, it’s easy to induce beautifully controllable oversteer....The Panamera 4 has a weight penalty of 120 or so pounds, and there are the inevitable parasitic power losses in the drivetrain. Really, if you’re not a speed junkie, the V-6 rear-driver may be the perfect Panamera.

Porsche of course announced long, long ago that it would be introducing a hybrid version of the Panamera featuring a supercharged Audi engine teamed with an electric motor, but we doubt that package will be as agile and fun as this unexpectedly great, entry-level V-6 is. If you want an economical Panamera—the V-6 returns about 25 mpg in the European cycle—we say don’t wait"

2011 Porsche Panamera / Panamera 4 - First Drive Review - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2011 Panamera 4 - First Drive Review

Porsche Panamera 4

"Well, in terms of presentation and quality those in line for a 6-cylinder Panamera won't be disappointed in the least. Visually, the main differences between it and the V8 are matte black window surrounds in lieu of the latter's chrome affairs, oval exhaust pipes as opposed to a quad setup and the wheels shrinking to 18-inchers."

"Normally, you'd expect a 90-degree V6 to be something of a gruff character, just think of Mercedes' current crop of petrol V6's and you'll see where I'm coming from, but the Panamera's V6 is one of the most delightfully smooth and refined motors I've sampled in a long time - thanks to that balance shaft. It's all very civilized but don't get me wrong, there's a satisfying snarl from the nose and plenty of shove when you hoof the loud pedal."

"That PDK ‘box is just as happy swiftly dropping cogs in anger as it is sliding effortlessly through the ratios in traffic and there's still that confidence-inspiring combination of weight and precision about the steering and the car strikes a fine balance between beguiling agility and a very respectable level of comfort."

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Australia

Porsche Panamera V6 ? Car Reviews, News & Advice - CarPoint Australia

"One of my favourite things about the Panamera, though, is the stepless door hinges. They stop wherever you hold the door, making it ideal to squeeze into or out of the car in tight parking spaces. Genius

The peak power of 220kW is impressive enough (it wasn't that long ago that Holden Commodore V8s were pumping out these numbers), but it's the 400Nm of torque that gets the Panamera V6 moving. It arrives about 3600rpm and stays with you until about 4500rpm, right in the meat of the powerband, and where the engine revs tend to be doing most of their work.

The V6 engine doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound great either. If Porsche could give this engine a more distinctive tone (as it does with the sportscar engines) this could help the aural excitement. But each time I pressed the accelerator I came away surprised by how willing the engine was and how effortless it felt. I'm still trying to reconcile it as I write this brief appraisal.

The PDK transmission felt a little smoother than other Panameras I've driven, even though Porsche insists the hardware and the software are unchanged.

Perhaps the V6's lower levels of torque (compared to the V8) are slightly less brutal on the driveline. For now, it's one of life's mysteries.

So, in summary, the Panamera V6 was one of the surprises of the year for me."

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 2011 Porsche Panamera First Drive Review

Road and Track

2010 Porsche Panamera V-6 - Article - Road and Track

"Driving the roads around Cologne, Germany, I found the V-6 Panamera to be a delight, providing more than enough oomph to satisfy the spirited driver. When revved to its 6700-rpm redline, the 90-degree V-6 sounds melodious. That said, the Panamera still feels quite heavy, especially through corners. It’s not sluggish, it’s just has a solid and sturdy feel that gives the driver a sense of security.

With 80 percent of peak torque arriving at 1500 rpm, the Panamera V-6 gets off the line quite effectively"

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Preview: 2011 Porsche Panamera V6 | Good Sports Cars

"The Panamera version is the unusual 90 degrees.... the Porsche 3.6 is a high-revving oversquare design with Porsche's Variocam variable valve timing.

Nonetheless, it's a gem. Acceleration is good, with the rear-wheel-drive version scooting to 100 kilometres an hour in 6.3 seconds when equipped with the PDK seven-speed double-clutch transmission. Porsche claims the all-wheel-drive version performs the same feat in 6.1 seconds (5.9 if it's an AWD model equipped with the Sports Chrono package's Launch Control system), the difference being traction -- the company obviously feels the V6 can break the rear tires loose, ruining the launch. As good as the engine is, I'd say that's a little optimistic."

The "over optimistic" acceleration claim for the 4 is easily explained : "Sport plus" launches the 4 at 1000 rpm more (5500 v 4500)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Porsche V6 Panamera: first drive | Review | carsguide.com.au

"What you get is a 3.6-litre V6 mated to a seven-speed PDK (Porsche for twin-clutch, slick autoshifter with paddles on the steering wheel) driving either the rear wheels or all four. The engine develops 220kW at 6200rpm (peak is 6700) and 400NM of torque at 3750rpm, with the torque curve flattens out from about 2500rpm up to 5000rpm to give great mid-range response

Unless you measure your life in split seconds ahead of everybody else at the traffic lights, the difference in performance between the V6 and the V8 is not going to matter a great deal.

The new arrival is still quick, eager and strong all the way. More than enough for most people, and more than enough for most of it to remain untapped on Australian roads anyway. Those who think there’s no substitution for capacity might be surprised.

And helped by being a bit lighter – and by being more centred with the V6 weight further back in the engine bay than the bigger eight, giving a front: rear ratio of 52:48 – the new car seems more nimble, more sprightly.

Like the V8, it's a luxurious and comfortable grand cruiser. And we think we might just prefer it to the bigger bruiser."

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Left Lane news:

Porsche rates the Panamera at 300 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque, but we suspect the engine has more to give.

At last somebody is getting it... the Porsche numbers are marketing tools

But the Panamera’s real forte is handling, and the V6 models deliver in spades. Not only does the V6 shave off more than 100 lbs. from the Panamera’s nose, but it also moves the engine farther back in the car’s chassis, resulting in a better weight distribution

As a result .., the Panamera felt almost like a four-door go kart around the 2.3=mile track of Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Handling was spot on with plenty of feel through the steering wheel, hiding the Panamera’s near two-ton curb weight.

Leftlane’s bottom line

Whether on street or track, it’s hard to beat the Panamera and Panamera 4’s driving dynamics. While some might think a Panamera with “only” a V6 is making a sacrifice, it’s a sacrificed we’d be willing to make on a daily basis for all the reasons we’ve listed above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have to get out and test one because i can't help thinking the gears just top out too soon. i would want to see if 2nd - 4th are good.

i thought the 4S was light in low gears; i found 2nd capped too early and 3rd was lagging when driving around town. just never got comfortable in the gears even in sport chrono plus auto

i find that 2nd and 3rd in the Turbo are really useable. 2nd tops at 80km but is fantastic between 40km and that 80km cap: 3rd is still really good as low as 55km or so and just pulls like mad; translates imo to always being able to find a great gear to run around in

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re: 2011 Porsche Panamera Test

Wiel tested a V6 with PDK and sport+ at sea level

0-100km/h 5.89 (Porsche claims 6.1)
1km 25.57 (Cay 3.4 is 24.5)
Overtaking accelleration 80-120 (PDK) 3.86 (Porsche claims 4.3) (Cay 2.9 is 3.7)

Bottom line: if it looks like a Porsche and drives like a Porsche then it is a Porsche

YouTube - Posche Panamera V6 - WIEL.co.za

1 - 12 of 12 Posts