Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a new thread regarding order info for the Spyder.

OK, here is some info I just got from the dealer on the Spyder. All US Spyder's have to come with A/C and a radio. Dealer stated that a memo was sent to all US dealerships and will show me when I come to finalize my order. Also the price on the Spyder with the A/C and radio is 64K. And the most important answer to my ADM (added dealer markup) question was, NO DEALER MARK UP !!!! I'm also trying to get the projected production run for the 2011 model year, but with everything I have researched, it will be very limited. My guess would be less than 1000 cars. At the LA Auto Show release, Porsche stated the Spyder would account for 10% of the Boxster sales. With the auto industry down turn I bet the production run will be less than 10%, at lease for the first couple of years. I have an appointment tomorrow, first thing in the AM to go over all questions that I have and if all goes well, will reserve the car. :)

Please post all new info regarding the 2011 Spyder.

pcw

·
Registered
992 Posts
Thought I would start a new thread regarding order info for the Spyder.

OK, here is some info I just got from the dealer on the Spyder. All US Spyder's have to come with A/C and a radio. Dealer stated that a memo was sent to all US dealerships and will show me when I come to finalize my order. Also the price on the Spyder with the A/C and radio is 64K. And the most important answer to my ADM (added dealer markup) question was, NO DEALER MARK UP !!!! I'm also trying to get the projected production run for the 2011 model year, but with everything I have researched, it will be very limited. My guess would be less than 1000 cars. At the LA Auto Show release, Porsche stated the Spyder would account for 10% of the Boxster sales. With the auto industry down turn I bet the production run will be less than 10%, at lease for the first couple of years. I have an appointment tomorrow, first thing in the AM to go over all questions that I have and if all goes well, will reserve the car. :)

Please post all new info regarding the 2011 Spyder.

pcw
The Spyder is not limited production - they will build all they can sell. 10% is the forecast based on estimated interest, not a self-imposed limitation. This is my understanding, but I'm willing to be shown the error of my ways.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
All US Spyder's have to come with A/C and a radio. Dealer stated that a memo was sent to all US dealerships and will show me when I come to finalize my order. Also the price on the Spyder with the A/C and radio is 64K.
I find it hard to believe about the Radio/AC delete. IMHO, they are only stating that to protect themselves. In their eyes if you do the radio/AC delete they will have a car that will be a hard sell if you back out of the deal.
If it's true, I'm pissed. I'll know 100% tomorrow as I too am placing my final order for my March build.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
I find it hard to believe about the Radio/AC delete. IMHO, they are only stating that to protect themselves. In their eyes if you do the radio/AC delete they will have a car that will be a hard sell if you back out of the deal.
If it's true, I'm pissed. I'll know 100% tomorrow as I too am placing my final order for my March build.
I'd play hardball with the dealer, especially if you are ordering the car.

A/C and the radio only protect the dealer if you were to walk away from the deal. If the car configurator shows the option for radio delete etc then it is available from Porsche. Don't let the dealer get away with some dealer inside agreement.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we will see. I will push the dealer and ask for a copy of the letter. I tempted to call Porsche to verify, I'm sure changes can be made while in the ordering stage before the orders all pulled for production in March. If I find out that is incorrect and the dealer is just trying to protect themselves if I walk, I will have them change it or I will walk away.

navanoD, please post what you find out today and I will do the same with my experience at the dealer. Hopefully we can start to separate truth from dealer BS. I will make it clear to the dealer that I know of others going to dealers today and that we are going to compare orders and if A/C and radio can be deleted, I will be calling them back to change the order.

pcw

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Don't waste your time asking to see the letter. They can type up a bogus but official-looking letter in 5 minutes and print it out for you.

There are two simple ways to find out if they're lying - 1. Call another dealer or two and ask them if they've gotten the same letter. 2. Call PCNA Customer Care at 1-800-PORSCHE and ask them.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
The new AutoWeek came yesterday, and their "first drive" review stated the same thing - all cars coming to the US are required to have radio and A/C whether you like it or not. They also noted something I hadn't seen before - the gas tank is 2.6 gallons (10 liters) smaller than the normal Boxster/Boxster S. Unfortunately, that will make for a shorter range for cars that already have a pretty short range.

brad

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Well we will see. I will push the dealer and ask for a copy of the letter. I tempted to call Porsche to verify, I'm sure changes can be made while in the ordering stage before the orders all pulled for production in March. If I find out that is incorrect and the dealer is just trying to protect themselves if I walk, I will have them change it or I will walk away.

navanoD, please post what you find out today and I will do the same with my experience at the dealer. Hopefully we can start to separate truth from dealer BS. I will make it clear to the dealer that I know of others going to dealers today and that we are going to compare orders and if A/C and radio can be deleted, I will be calling them back to change the order.

pcw
You can be pissed all you want, but if it's Porsche's policy for cars coming to the US, then that's the way it will be. They may make an exception for a custom order, but don't be surprised if they don't, or they ask for a much larger deposit. I've been through this with other cars I've ordered in the past... threaten to walk if you want, but they're going to sell every one of these cars they build whether you buy one or not.

brad

·
Registered
155 Posts
I went to my dealer a couple days ago for info. About the Spyder. We built one to my specs witout AC and radio and went through with no problem even though the dealer didn't like it very much. He said they can accept this configuration only with an unrefundable $10k deposit!! :eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can be pissed all you want, but if it's Porsche's policy for cars coming to the US, then that's the way it will be. They may make an exception for a custom order, but don't be surprised if they don't, or they ask for a much larger deposit. I've been through this with other cars I've ordered in the past... threaten to walk if you want, but they're going to sell every one of these cars they build whether you buy one or not.

brad
Thanks Brad for the info. My comment about walking was if the dealer was not being honest in regards to the memo from Porsche, Obviously, there seems to be truth to what they are saying.

PCW

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

brad
Beez,
I hope you are wrong, but you are more than likely not. I hope they take me serious as I already have a 20k deposit (My choice). We'll see later today what happens... I just hope it's a dealer issue from the OP and not a mandated change for all Porsche USA Spyder's.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I thought about ordering sport buckets on my car and the dealer wasn't real warm about that option. My 93 RSA didn't have air and it didn't hurt it's value one bit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back from the dealer. The memo is correct, A/C and radio have to be included in North American cars. I seen the memo and actually talked to the Regional Sales Manager that happen to be at the dealership. The dealership is having Porsche club event there tonight and guess what, there will have a Spyder at the event. I am going to go and will take some pics and post them.

So I ordered the car, I added a few things. A/C, radio (no change for radio) only option what the "Plus" system, no Bose offered with the Spyder. The system has 7 speakers and 1 CD slot and that's all I know about that. I also added the sports seats, the ones in the 9114S, the seats that come with the Spyder are very tight and extremely hard to get in and out of, just a warning. The same seats that are in the Spyder they had in a 911GT2 that I sat in to test them out. They slide back and forth but no other movement that I could see. I added the heated seats option, Mats and iPod connection. That's it. I have the build number and the print out of the order that was sent to the factory. I should have delivery by May 2010.

pcw

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. The memo is correct, A/C and radio have to be included in North American cars. I seen the memo and actually talked to the Regional Sales Manager that happen to be at the dealership. The dealership is having Porsche club event there tonight and guess what, there will have a Spyder at the event. I am going to go and will take some pics and post them.

So I ordered the car, I added a few things. A/C, radio (no change for radio) only option what the "Plus" system, no Bose offered with the Spyder. The system has 7 speakers and 1 CD slot and that's all I know about that. I also added the sports seats, the ones in the 9114S, the seats that come with the Spyder are very tight and extremely hard to get in and out of, just a warning. The same seats that are in the Spyder they had in a 911GT2 that I sat in to test them out. They slide back and forth but no other movement that I could see. I added the heated seats option, Mats and iPod connection. That's it. I have the build number and the print out of the order that was sent to the factory. I should have delivery by May 2010.

pcw
So now Porsche NA and you have added the weight that Porsche Germany originally took out plus some.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Since cars are usually weighed with 1/2 tank of gas, I wonder if they are also figuring-in the weight saved with a smaller volume fuel tank?

brad

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
So I'm a bit confused, I too just got back from the dealer and I submitted my order with the radio/AC delete with no issues. He showed it on screen within their internal configurator.

This is my build:
-Carrara White w/Black Top
-Manual Transmission w/ Sport Shifter Kit
-Black Full Leather Interior with Alcantara
-Radio and A/C Delete
-Bi-Xenon Headlights with Dynamic Cornering
-19” Boxster Spyder Wheel
-Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
-Standard Sport Bucket Seats
-Foot Rest Aluminum

with destination my price totals $67,295

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So now Porsche NA and you have added the weight that Porsche Germany originally took out plus some.
Yep, guess so. But to be honest, I wasn't going to track the car anyways so weight wasn't really the deciding factor for me.

pcw

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I'm a bit confused, I too just got back from the dealer and I submitted my order with the radio/AC delete with no issues. He showed it on screen within their internal configurator.

This is my build:
-Carrara White w/Black Top
-Manual Transmission w/ Sport Shifter Kit
-Black Full Leather Interior with Alcantara
-Radio and A/C Delete
-Bi-Xenon Headlights with Dynamic Cornering
-19” Boxster Spyder Wheel
-Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
-Standard Sport Bucket Seats
-Foot Rest Aluminum

with destination my price totals $67,295

navanoD,

Don't know whats going on, but I will try to find out tonight at the club event. If the A/C can be deleted, that would save me 1780.00 for other stuff. You can make changes to the order up until the order states "production" status in the system. Can you tell me what the cost is for the Manual Transmission w/ Sport Shifter Kit?

Thanks,

PCW

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
navanoD,

Don't know whats going on, but I will try to find out tonight at the club event. If the A/C can be deleted, that would save me 1780.00 for other stuff. You can make changes to the order up until the order states "production" status in the system. Can you tell me what the cost is for the Manual Transmission w/ Sport Shifter Kit?

Thanks,

PCW
PCW, I just called my dealer to confirm on the A/C and Radio delete. They are double checking and calling me back. I'll let you know what I hear. As for the Sport Shifter, It is code XCZ and cost $765. Be sure to take a bunch of pics tonight!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PCW, I just called my dealer to confirm on the A/C and Radio delete. They are double checking and calling me back. I'll let you know what I hear. As for the Sport Shifter, It is code XCZ and cost $765. Be sure to take a bunch of pics tonight! In the meantime check out this site I made with iWeb.

www.987spyder.com

I wanted a central location of all Spyder info... so I made it... pretty bare bones... I would love to put your pics on there too!
Let me know,
D.
navanoD,

The web site looks great and a good idea. I will take pics tonight , it is raining like crazy out here and I hope that doesn't stop them from bring the Spyder. We should get a good idea of the waterproofing if they do bring it :). I also sent an email to my sales person stating others are ordering Spyders with no A/c or Radio and to please provide status. I would love to add the Bi-Xenon Headlights with Dynamic Cornering and the shifter kit. I have a 70K limit from my wife, including tax lic etc.. and I'm right at that now :(.

PCW

1 - 20 of 31 Posts