Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post here. I came across a good deal on a 2012 991 that was a lightly flooded car, actually less than an inch or so on the floorboard. Anyway, I replaced all of the electronic modules on the floor from a wrecked identical 991 but curious if I will have to have the modules programed to the car through the dealer or other source? Or should I expect it to be plug and play and all will be happy?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Some of the following was told to me in person, some is from reading, so take it with a grain of salt.

Modern Porsches come with an immobilizer module that is keyed to the VIN of the car. Some other modules, in particular the DME/ECU are keyed and must agree with the immobilizer or the car will refuse to start. I am not sure of the list of VIN-related modules, but there may be more.

Supposedly some of the modules can have their identify changed by a dealer. Some modules MAY only be able to be programmed a couple of times before they are forever locked.

I would think if your donor car had all the modules and you replaced them all, and you had the keys for the donor car, then it should all work together. Mix and match and you may have issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts