Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering a purchase of a high mileage cayenne - 88K on the odom to be exact. Obvious freeway miles. Its a lease turn in. The porsche dealership I am buying it from wants $38K.

I've done some online comparison shopping and it would seem this is priced to sell. It has new brakes and tires, is very clean and still like new insdie, and has some PCM and seat upgrades I want.

Do I continue with this pursuit and ask for service docs and maybe get a independant PPI or would the mileage scare you off no matter what?

This is replacing a american brand SUV that has 97k on its odom, that is paid for. Don't need a S model or turbo. Like the newer Panamera style dash/console inside.

Advice anyone?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have an 05 S with 123000 miles and it still looks and drives like new. I have had minimal problems. I get it serviced by a local indie every 10k miles. I'd recommend a PPI and if that checks out would not worry about the mileage.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do you like the way it drives/handles? I like the exterior and interior styling of the newer Cayennes but couple times that I have driven the base and Diesel versions, I walked away a little underwhelmed. Maybe cause of the Porsche badge I just had higher expectations and felt it would be more sportier. I've been a passenger in an S and GTS and the engine sound and acceleration feel on those felt noticeably better but the price difference is pretty huge

Comparing the base or diesel to X5 (e70), imo the X5 has a better driving feel, especially the steering and pedal feel.

As for price I'm not sure what a good deal on these cars are but I just did a quick search at one of dealers in my state and I think this one is a better deal:

2011 Porsche Cayenne - Park Place

It's not that far off in price from the one you mentioned and it's CPO with another 2.5 years or 40k miles of warranty left on it.

Also forgot to mention, the face-lift / redesign is just about to launch so I would think you should have some better leverage in negotiating on the "older" models once those come out

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can't speak for newer generation Cayennes, but for the first generation, I agree, the base is underpowered. I like the way my S handles, sounds and drives better than any SUV I've ever driven. That said, it's still an SUV. My wife and I drive it when we need to drive an SUV. It hauls stuff, goes through deep snow, drives on sand on the beach and was a great road trip vehicle when my son was playing travel hockey. Otherwise I prefer my Cayman or Spider and my wife prefers her 3 series. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Cayenne, except that it's an SUV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. fais - I checked out that one you attached in your response. I agree that is a better deal. I do need to drive these, as in, S model and turbo, to use as a comparison. I was assuming I would not need or want those models since I get my power kicks from running the cayman. The base cayenne model has 55 more ponies than what I already have in my (found on road dead) suv.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think what alfaporsche said is on point, compared to most other SUVs the Cayenne is very nice and if the base model has similar or better power to weight ratio compared to your previous SUV, don't think you will have any complaints. Good luck and let us know how it goes and what you decide.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
88k miles is nothing on these newer cars. I have 132k on my Lexus and it drives as good as the day I bought it. The leather has some wrinkles in it and the hood has numerous chips.....but it is awesome and I plan to put another 132k on it before I trade it in.

I would put the Porsche up there with a Lexus for reliability. I don't think you have anything to worry about and you can work the price down too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fixing the leather or interior is a minor task. I just had all my leather and entire interior 'scratches' and 'scrapes' fixed on my Cayman for less then $2k USD.
As long as the engine is perfectly fine you have nothing to worry about. Everything else can be fixed quite cheap from my experience.
Than again I live in Thailand and bodywork and stuff like this is pretty cheap overall.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
2012 with 88k miles is fine. The term high mileage doesn't even apply. Cars are built to safely exceed 250k miles. It would be high mileage if it had 188k on it. Money saved could put a new engine in...maybe even a bigger one. Check if maintenance was followed by dealer and you should be fine aside from normal wear and tear items that may need to replaced soon (timing belt comes to mind).

As you mentioned those are obviously highway cruise control miles.

A car is happiest driving at a constant speed on a flat straight highway. Its city\track\limited miles that age a car.

Do some research on the topic if you want. All experts say its best to buy a car used as a daily highway cruiser than one thrashed in the city or dry rotted in a garage.

Personally, I don't buy used/leased cars because of consistent bad experiences. Your mileage my vary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts