Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was thinking of selling my 2012 Cayman S Black Edition, how do I determine a realistic asking price? There aren't many 2012 Caymans for sale. The only one currently listed as a Black Edition in the US is definitely not one. How can I determine what it is worth? Does the fact that it is a limited edition car (number 209 of 500) make it worth more? Starting to itch for a GT3...

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's definitely hard to get many comparable sales for a car like that. Even KBB or Edmunds' values for 2012 are probably not based on much real data. Being the Black edition might add some value, or might not. I'd look into selling on Bring A Trailer and let the market decide the value. Just set a reserve that you're comfortable with, or at least could live with.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It is worth $2-3K more than a garden variety CS. Most of that is because of the heavy load of options the "limited edition" cars come with. You just have to be careful with your pricing so you're not bumping into 981 prices.

·
Registered
108 Posts
iam in the market for a 987 S and a lot of quality low miles gen 1 987 S's selling under $30k. On the fence since one year warranty left on my bmw e92/N54 which like the 987 is hard to sell but easy to find..You can always put up on ebay with a reserve but ideally the edmunds used car appraiser website is what most dealers would use for trade in value (since lower than kbb). See what the dealer retail price it throws at you and that would be a fair max price you can expect for a fast sale..(assuming no accidents, stories etc) As a rule of thumb based on my research
987.1 S <= $30k
987.2 S around $40k (will list for $45 to $46k) which is same price as a quality low mile base 981
981 S currently selling for $48k to $51k

A fair value for your car imho would be $42k (with pasm and pse) good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
iam in the market for a 987 S and a lot of quality low miles gen 1 987 S's selling under $30k. On the fence since one year warranty left on my bmw e92/N54 which like the 987 is hard to sell but easy to find..You can always put up on ebay with a reserve but ideally the edmunds used car appraiser website is what most dealers would use for trade in value (since lower than kbb). See what the dealer retail price it throws at you and that would be a fair max price you can expect for a fast sale..(assuming no accidents, stories etc) As a rule of thumb based on my research
987.1 S <= $30k
987.2 S around $40k (will list for $45 to $46k) which is same price as a quality low mile base 981
981 S currently selling for $48k to $51k

A fair value for your car imho would be $42k (with pasm and pse) good luck
Thanks for this.

No pse, the Black Edition came with the same exhaust as a Cayman R, giving it the same 330 hp. Does have PASM, PCCB, the carbon fiber bucket racing seats, manual trans and limited slip, sport chrono, plus all the BE options like bi-xenon and infotainment. 28,750 miles and all bone stock factory options, no aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The 325 HP 981 S cars I see are generally in the upper 50s or higher for nice ones with low mileage. For a 2012 with the same 330HP of the Cayman R, I would think somewhere in the low $50s would be attractive to prospective.buyers. Nice Cayman R asking prices are typically more like $60k, or even higher. If in your shoes, I might start around $54-55k.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 325 HP 981 S cars I see are generally in the upper 50s or higher for nice ones with low mileage. For a 2012 with the same 330HP of the Cayman R, I would think somewhere in the low $50s would be attractive to prospective.buyers. Nice Cayman R asking prices are typically more like $60k, or even higher. If in your shoes, I might start around $54-55k.
Low miles 981 S manual on carmax right now for $52k. (link if still available). Cayman R's are like Gt4's. Very specific buyers and potentially long wait to sell sometimes as long as a year and added depreciation. Black edition obviously has a premium. (but not sure if potential buyers will pay same or more than a 981 S).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also OP forgot to mention, one item that can possibly put your car value in the 981 S bracket is that little briefcase most don't know about. Did you get it from the previous owner ? The watch alone is worth $5k ..

Buyers of the DE1 received a special briefcase that contained some pretty cool Porsche Design merchandise, including a Design Edition Chronograph Wrist Watch, Sun Glasses, Ballpoint Pen, Pocket Knife, Key Chain and the key to the DE1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sold my 2012 Cayman S BE in August 2017 for $55,000. Car was in exceptional condition, had 11,900 miles, full leather interior, short shifter and 2 months left on the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Thanks for this.

No pse, the Black Edition came with the same exhaust as a Cayman R, giving it the same 330 hp. Does have PASM, PCCB, the carbon fiber bucket racing seats, manual trans and limited slip, sport chrono, plus all the BE options like bi-xenon and infotainment. 28,750 miles and all bone stock factory options, no aftermarket.
Very desirable options. The PCCB & racing buckets alone would easily add $3-4K (if you haven't already added for PCCB). I would research the heck out of 2012 and 2014 Cayman Ss (there wasn't a 2013 CS). Then split the difference between the two to calculate your price. Someone will be looking for one spec'd out like yours. I would try SF & LA CL along with PCA.org first before spending money on ads in autotrader, cars, or cargurus.

I defn wouldn't spend money auctioning it off. I'm not an expert in BAT finances, but there was a thread last yr and someone commented that BAT tries to strong-arm you into a low reserve. And I imagine you have consignment fees on the front end and commission percentages on the back end. I've bought several cars on ebay but never sold any, but imagine there's a healthy fee for selling a car, esp one as expensive as yours. Why give your profit away? Bottom line is know what these venues cost before signing up for them.

And don't even bother going to CarMax unless you're totally desperate or you like to take $10K and make it rain. Either way, you'll come home that much lighter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the great responses. I'm picking up a 2016 GT3 today, so I will soon be listing the Cayman for sale. Hmm, I wonder if I can swap the seats between these cars. That's the one option I wish the GT3 had...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thank you for all the great responses. I'm picking up a 2016 GT3 today, so I will soon be listing the Cayman for sale. Hmm, I wonder if I can swap the seats between these cars. That's the one option I wish the GT3 had...
The GT2 style sport bucket seats/ sliders will bolt in- same 4 bolt pattern. I can't recall if the electrical connectors are the same. Even if they are you would get an airbag light. I have seen a couple of installations of these seats in 2014 991 GT3s. I talked to the owners and one stated he had a tech with PIWIS software turn off the light. It wasn't clear to me if the seat airbags were actually functional after that. The seats were an option for the 991 GT3 in some markets so it should be possible. As I understand it the seats were not offered in the US because they have no height adjustment. The LWB seats available after Nov 14 builds have a power height adjuster. I had hoped at some point the LWBs would be available from Techquipment but so far they have not.

Congrats on the GT3 and GLWS of the Black edition.

·
Registered
108 Posts
op, 2012 BE just listed and will be gone in a flash at Audi burlington in MA. I was close in my price prediction to you looks like. Listed for $48k ..has dealer retail value around $43k. This one even more buyer friendly since does not look like it has been tracked. (no pccb, racing buckets etc). I am not ready financially for gen 2 pricing and was looking mainly at gen 1 but the way 987 prices are going I am planning to wait , save more $ and get gen 2 now if possible.. GLWS

·
Registered
569 Posts
The GT2 style sport bucket seats/ sliders will bolt in- same 4 bolt pattern. I can't recall if the electrical connectors are the same. Even if they are you would get an airbag light. I have seen a couple of installations of these seats in 2014 991 GT3s. I talked to the owners and one stated he had a tech with PIWIS software turn off the light. It wasn't clear to me if the seat airbags were actually functional after that. The seats were an option for the 991 GT3 in some markets so it should be possible. As I understand it the seats were not offered in the US because they have no height adjustment. The LWB seats available after Nov 14 builds have a power height adjuster. I had hoped at some point the LWBs would be available from Techquipment but so far they have not.

Congrats on the GT3 and GLWS of the Black edition.
I have done fundamentally the same thing, using GT2 seats, except I haven’t bothered with the light. Have no been given no reason by anyone to believe that the airbags will actually deploy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
2012 cayman s Black editions value has gone up in the last 6 months. I was in the market for one and found 5 in the last few months but they were all MT. There are a few for sale in Canada and a bunch in the UK. Based on research there are only about 180 in the USA. I recently found two with PDK. One sold in two days for $50k in NH. I lucked out and got the other one. I just brought it to the dealer to add sport plus mode and then have a cross country drive scheduled. Can’t wait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.