Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I knew now what I knew now. I bought my 2013 981 BS in October, 2012 with MT but without Sport Chrono package. What I did not know or was informed was if ordered with Sports Chrono, then it would REV MATCH on downshift. Anyone come across an aftermarket software upgrade, a Porsche supplied software update? Otherwise, there are aftermarket pedals to better preform the task. In all seriousness, are there any software or other options?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually it didn't get introduced to the Boxster / Cayman line till 2014, it was only on the 911s in 2013 so you still wouldn't have gotten rev matching even if you spent the money on the Sport Chrono.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Any updates on other options?
Please don't take this the wrong way. I only learned how to properly heel-and-toe downshift when I was closer to 45 than to 40. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks - it just takes a LOT longer :). I learned that on another car, not on 981. When I did it for the first time in my 981 (couldn't do it in 5 test drives I took with every type of 981 before because PDK), it was heaven. So much better than any MT I ever drove since - and I did drive quite a few because I very often rent cars in EU. Pedal placement, rev characteristics of the engine in Sport mode, shifter itself ... all of that is making it for a truly great experience.

I would strongly suggest to give it a try and put serious effort in learning to do it properly yourself because you have that car and when you nail it it is SO satisfying.

Not trying to preach or attempting to be an expert. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Agree with Cinci - I learned in my 50's after driving all those yrs not doing rev-matching. It's natural now and I do it all the time. I needed to learn because I'd wrecked my clutch not rev-matching on the track. Didn't want to spend $2800 for another clutch / flywheel replacement and I didn't want to give up DE's, so I learned. Started on non busy roads with plenty of room for mistakes (foot slipping off brake). Had a couple mos of practice before I did my 1st DE with rev matching at COTA, but everything went fine. I was initially concerned that I might mess up when things got busy, but it had become enough of a habit that it wasn't an issue.

Heel and toe is kind of a misnomer. I use the big toe & ball of my foot on the brake and the outside of my foot on the gas. There are plenty of training videos on YT. You can also buy gas pedals that have extensions on them that will assist with this method. I thought about buying one but was able to do it fine with the stock set-up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If my 2013BS would have come with rev-matching, I would be looking for an after-market switch to turn it (always) off. My assessment was: 1- no revmatching == good, 2- always-on revmatching == bad, 3- sometimes on (mode-dependent) revmatching == dangerous.

I have almost proven item #3... we bought my wife a 2018 340i with MT and revmatching (try finding THAT unicorn on the market!) and while incredible, if I drive that for a while and let it do its thing, when I get back into my car, it can be a problem. So I always blip the throttle in the BMW just to keep the habit...

I'm hoping that the resale value of your 2013 981 w/ MT rises sharply every year, so maybe you can slip into a late-model PDK at a profit... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts