Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been posts in the past but I must have missed the final answer. I have 8700 +/- miles on my 2013 Boxster. Have driven on several long trips since new including 1200 mile round trip to NC. Car serviced in March. Last outing was about 450 miles at interstate speed (80) in July. No problems. Last week the low coolant light came on upon startup. I thought it might be a sensor problem but decided to have it checked at the dealer. Only got about 1 mile as engine temp rose rapidly and red warning came on. Had the vehicle picked up. Service advisor stated the coolant was in fact low. They've had it 10 days replacing various parts including "housings." Mechanic hasn't found any specific, definite resolution that I know of...he's just replacing stuff. For those of you with this problem, was there an ultimate resolution?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2013 Boxster at ~1200 miles. Low coolant light, down almost a gallon, no visible site of coolant loss. After farting around for a while, the dealer did a pressure test, which they reported was fine. I was ultimately told that the low level was due to "air bubbles" introduced into the system at the time of the original fill. A gallon's worth of air bubbles that only became apparent after 1200 miles seemed dubious to me but no other explanation was offered. However, the problem hasn't recurred 2 years later.

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
I had coolant loss on my former 987 and it was caused by a hose that had become slightly dislodged. Not sure if the hose issue was due to road debris or someone bumped it when they were working on the car but this is something to check - make sure all hoses are fully seated and clamps are tight.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
My '12 CS suffered same, I refilled, took to dealer, tech found hose had come loose.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My 981BB had significant coolant loss that did not drip but could be smelled as it burned off from engine heat. Caused by a defective pressure cap (not the one in the trunk). Has not recurred since Feb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There have been posts in the past but I must have missed the final answer. I have 8700 +/- miles on my 2013 Boxster. Have driven on several long trips since new including 1200 mile round trip to NC. Car serviced in March. Last outing was about 450 miles at interstate speed (80) in July. No problems. Last week the low coolant light came on upon startup. I thought it might be a sensor problem but decided to have it checked at the dealer. Only got about 1 mile as engine temp rose rapidly and red warning came on. Had the vehicle picked up. Service advisor stated the coolant was in fact low. They've had it 10 days replacing various parts including "housings." Mechanic hasn't found any specific, definite resolution that I know of...he's just replacing stuff. For those of you with this problem, was there an ultimate resolution?
Deckhand, any follow-up to report on your coolant problem? I have a 2013 981BS with about 14000 miles and a similar thing happened... great day of DE driving Saturday (not super hard driving), on start-up Sunday to go back, I received low coolant light on start-up. I drove it to see what would happen... after .70 miles, I received red warning/don't drive on message but was within 50 feet of a gas station so I stopped there. Added about 1/2 gallon of distilled water (didn't have Porsche coolant) to get to Max. Drove for a about 20 minutes to monitor and nothing unusual happened or was reported. After stopping and letting the car cool, the Max level is way above max so 1/2 gallon was too much. Plan to see the dealer this week but wondered what happened in your case... please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My 981BB had significant coolant loss that did not drip but could be smelled as it burned off from engine heat. Caused by a defective pressure cap (not the one in the trunk). Has not recurred since Feb.
Following up this post, I received a low coolant message Saturday morning. I let the car warm up for a few minutes and the message disappeared. That afternoon I attempted to open the coolant cap located in the trunk just to see if the system was holding pressure, and had great difficulty getting it to turn. When I finally got it open I discovered a lot of dry crusty coolant residue in the cap threads. So I am now thinking that the trunk located cap is allowing too much pressure/coolant release past it's Oring which is resulting in the latest slow loss of coolant. As stated before, I had the other cap, located under the engine cover, replaced last February because the dealer found it was seeping, resulting in coolant loss and burning coolant smell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Following up this post, I received a low coolant message Saturday morning. I let the car warm up for a few minutes and the message disappeared. That afternoon I attempted to open the coolant cap located in the trunk just to see if the system was holding pressure, and had great difficulty getting it to turn. When I finally got it open I discovered a lot of dry crusty coolant residue in the cap threads. So I am now thinking that the trunk located cap is allowing too much pressure/coolant release past it's Oring which is resulting in the latest slow loss of coolant. As stated before, I had the other cap, located under the engine cover, replaced last February because the dealer found it was seeping, resulting in coolant loss and burning coolant smell.
Out of curiosity...did you manage to find the issue? I have been having similar issues with my BS and it's currently at the dealer getting sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts