Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll provide a data point for you: I bought a 2013 Boxster S in Jan. 2014; $84,500 (approx.) MSRP with 12K miles for $57.5, non-CPO. I would not shell out for CPO unless it was going to be my daily driver. I use mine for a weekend car and only put about 4K miles on it a year so makes no sense to me to shell out for the CPO.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Keep in mind that dealers have a significant margin built into the asking price of used cars. If you like the car, offer than $59K. They will probably give you a counter offer, but I wouldn't go over $60K. Good luck.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I don't think it's a good deal. Especially non-CPO... Honestly I paid that much on first in US Boxster S *in 2013*. Granted I've had almost no options.

But still, 77K MSRP with 6% average discount is 72K. So you getting $10K discount for 3 years of use and seriously reduced warranty. Drop a few options and you can order a new car for a few grand more. Especially now, when new model year is coming you can get brand new 981S off the lot, for probably 10% off if you do you search good. 10% off on a off the lot car of prev model year is not unheard off. That's 69K MSRP new car...

This car also has Power Steering Plus , which is something to AVOID, as it messes up a perfectly good 981 steering and makes it more minivanlike.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I guess that all things a relative from a geography standpoint, my 2013 was sold off the lot (I traded it in) for around $70K and it had 30K KMS... and yes it had CPO added by the dealer.

The car you are looking at is not priced to sell if you can believe what is in the ad copy:

Negotiation

Selling slowly

73 days at this dealership

203 days on CarGurus

No price changes
I would think you should be able to make a much better take it leave it offer of $57-58K, but you have to be prepared to walk away, play hard ball. The other suggestion (like T-Design) mentioned is looking for a new 981 on the lot, we are deep into summer now and nearing the end of the month, there has to be something out there near to you that a dealer would love to move, you could a brand new car with a full warranty for only a few thousand more?

Regarding CPO, on a used Porsche, I would only buy this way, as for Power Steering Plus, don't have it and didn't order it, but as it is a Software option, if you go for the above car, maybe a Porsche dealer can turn it off?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with Westcoaster. They have had this car for some time. I think mid 50's is the right number but I'd want it certified. These are great cars but things can break. Having the extra warranty is can be a really value.

FWIW, I have the Power Steering Plus on my car. Bought it certified so it wasn't something I optioned but I really don't find it to be a problem. Would not spend money on it if I bought new but it's not detrimental in my mind.

TJ

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
This thread is such a rich source of information for anyone, like myself, shopping for a 981. I just wanted to post a thank you note to the folks that contributed to this thread.

By the way, I do love the way that Boxster looks. My goodness it's beautiful. I know it's heresy to say it, I even like the amber indicators up front on that white Boxster.

To the OP, good luck in your search.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

They gave me an offer of 57,500. But for CPO they said I'd have to pay for driver fees to and from and all other Porsche fees.

here's the carfax:
CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2013 PORSCHE BOXSTER S: WP0CB2A80DS134346

Is it a red flag that the recommended maintenance and oil filter changes were done at a non Porsche location?
Regarding the oil change, no worries that it was done at a non-Porsche facility as long as the correct parts and oil was used.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean in the bolded sentence above? As the vehicle is at a Mercedes dealership, the CPO warranty does not apply, only a Porsche dealer can offer this.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
57.5 is more like it! As long as oil changes were done at correct intervals (10k or 1 year) - no worries.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Took a quick glace at it and it's a pretty basic BS, no PASM, SC, PSE, sports design steering wheel, seat ventilation, and rollbar not painted to match. I brought my 2013 BS last year with less than 8K miles and an MSRP of over $97K for $65K last Sept, I noticed prices has gone up for the summer. Even at $57.5, it's not a good deal.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Took a quick glace at it and it's a pretty basic BS, no PASM, SC, PSE, sports design steering wheel, seat ventilation, and rollbar not painted to match. I brought my 2013 BS last year with less than 8K miles and an MSRP of over $97K for $65K last Sept, I noticed prices has gone up for the summer. Even at $57.5, it's not a good deal.
All that matters is can you find similar build, similar miles much cheaper? Quick glance at cars.com doesn't show any, and the prices there are usually pretty final: Used 2013 Porsche Boxster S - in 49302 Area - on Cars.com

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
All that matters is can you find similar build, similar miles much cheaper? Quick glance at cars.com doesn't show any, and the prices there are usually pretty final: Used 2013 Porsche Boxster S - in 49302 Area - on Cars.com
I know, like I said, prices has gone up for the summer, there were a lot of mid 80's MSRP for low 60's to high 50's last winter. GTS where listed at high 70K and sold for low 70's, now if you look at GTS now, they are all in the 80's. If there are no rush to get one, I would just wait, the one he listed is nothing special, it's not PTS, and isn't highly optioned. I saw a lot of those last year, that is why it took me a while to find mine. I was picky on options and color

·
Registered
126 Posts
Standard White with Luxor Beige interior, standard steering wheel on a PDK, Power Steering Plus and a checkered CarFax starting in Florida - Georgia - Florida - Mississippi - Georgia. There may only be one owner but it has passed through several dealers without another buyer.

Did you account for the $699 doc fees and the cost to transport or travel to the car to drive it back to NY?

I would pass on this one.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Standard White with Luxor Beige interior, standard steering wheel on a PDK, Power Steering Plus and a checkered CarFax starting in Florida - Georgia - Florida - Mississippi - Georgia. There may only be one owner but it has passed through several dealers without another buyer.

Did you account for the $699 doc fees and the cost to transport or travel to the car to drive it back to NY?

I would pass on this one.
Could these be dealers all owned by the same company, that is common where I live. We have a couple of very rich groups that own a set of dealers (VW, BMW, Audi and Porsche) or another with (Toyota, GM, Honda)...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts