Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just got it back today, and the top is working like a charm! They just replaced the microswitches at the B pillars and did not require an A/C purge. It did require some sort of calibration, so if you diy the part swap, you will still need to take it in for that bit.

SA said he's seen very few of these issues and they've been almost exclusively on 987/986's.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Do you know if the switch replacement required the removal of the whole top mechanism to install the switches, as suggested early in this thread?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you know if the switch replacement required the removal of the whole top mechanism to install the switches, as suggested early in this thread?
Not a removal, just placing the top in maintenance mode similar to when accessing the top of the engine bay. I'll double check my documentation this afternoon to make sure no other labor had to be done. If interested, the PIWIS instruction document ID is 6164 for the convertible microswitch replacement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all,

Revisiting this topic since I've been dealing with this same issue and wanted to know how is everyone's top been doing. Just took my car in for the third time in the last 2 years for this issue. Warranty running out in 2 months. Everytime it goes in, the soft top would behave. When it's time for me to take the car back it acts up. They said they detect no issues what so ever and nothing comes up. It's very frustrating, I'm thinking to just taking it up on the survey as well just like the OP.

This one time when I picked up the car and drove 10 minutes away, the fault came on so I took it back to show them. Sure enough, the top behaved with no issues. I'm starting to think this top has intelligence... any feedback would be great

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

Revisiting this topic since I've been dealing with this same issue and wanted to know how is everyone's top been doing. Just took my car in for the third time in the last 2 years for this issue. Warranty running out in 2 months. Everytime it goes in, the soft top would behave. When it's time for me to take the car back it acts up. They said they detect no issues what so ever and nothing comes up. It's very frustrating, I'm thinking to just taking it up on the survey as well just like the OP.

This one time when I picked up the car and drove 10 minutes away, the fault came on so I took it back to show them. Sure enough, the top behaved with no issues. I'm starting to think this top has intelligence... any feedback would be great
After having the sensors replaced, my top hasn't even though about having an issue. I'd consider just begging them to replace them both under warranty, if you haven't already.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just picked it up again today and I was able to show them the problem in front of them as soon as I got into the car. They took it in to reset the system and no problem so far. I know here we go again. I wished Porsche can just bring up these problems on the computers to just nip it at the roots right from the start. They did tell me that if the issue arises again, take a video of it and they'll bring it straight to Porsche to open a case. I'll try the begging method when it gets to crunch time though ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I brought mine in last November. They experienced the problem, reset the parameters in the ECU, charged me an hour labor, and declared the issue fixed. This weekend it's doing it again. No way they are going to fix this for free, so as long/until it gets worse, I'm going to live with it. Who knows, maybe I will be needing a new top by the time it actually becomes necessary to repair it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
starting to have this issue from time to time. So is everyone that had the microswitches replaced at the B pillar's still working ok? And from what I read I am looking at 1k for the fix from the dealer?
I am ok with having to pull the switch up an extra time to get it to the final position, I just worry that it will get stuck halfway one day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey all, so long story short. I found out I have the warranty till January of 2019 so right back in business. But before I found out about it, the dealer had thought it expired just like me. It wasn't until I contacted Porsche Of America notifying them about the disappointment I was in how this whole fiasco was handled that they got back to me. Now I have a personnel from Porsche who's overseeing this entire thing making sure I'm taken care of and not ignored.

My top got worse and worse. It would stop 2 times and wouldn't move at all until 2-3 times of pressing the button. One time I was on the highway and the top was stuck for 5-10 seconds. Seems short but felt like a nightmare was about to happen not to mention embarrassment.

They're currently working diligently for a fix after replacing a switch failed. Will update as it goes. By the way, this is a legit issue that should not be dismissed. The possibility of having the top stuck on the highway is no way to drive such a beauty.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to threads so here goes: I also have a 2013 Boxster. The top goes down 2/3 of the way and stops, a message of: fault of soft-top control system appears in the dash. The car has been at dealership in Virginia Beach for 8 days. I was told there is a problem with micro switch/relay for the latch and the cost is approximately $1,880 total, but the part is $1,400. Does this seem right, seems really expensive??? I told them to go ahead and order the part, it should be in Wednesday. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
New to threads so here goes: I also have a 2013 Boxster. The top goes down 2/3 of the way and stops, a message of: fault of soft-top control system appears in the dash. The car has been at dealership in Virginia Beach for 8 days. I was told there is a problem with micro switch/relay for the latch and the cost is approximately $1,880 total, but the part is $1,400. Does this seem right, seems really expensive??? I told them to go ahead and order the part, it should be in Wednesday. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
The latch is expensive, but shouldn't be that expensive. Perhaps they are replacing the latch and the relays at both pillars? That would be about the right price, plus that's exactly what they will need to do anyway. The latch isn't super labor intensive but the relays are more difficult.

Certainly shouldn't be taking them 8 days even to get the parts. I hope they gave you a loaner at least?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got the car back a month ago, was traveling so now I got back to test the car. The top is now operating perfectly with no stopping in between. They replaced the microswitches which was at fault just as the original poster had mentioned. Now I have to deal with a park assist failure.

The parts from my research were right around $1400, so yeah that sounds about right.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine is at the dealer. Replacing micro switches for around 1400 as well. Not under warranty :(.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My 2013 BB is experiencing the same issue, as I've previously reported. A reset of the top parameters performed late last year temporarily seemed to fix it, but it did not last.

I did notice something interesting recently. When I lowered the top and experienced the problem, I then cycled the top a few times and the problem went away, and the top stopped malfunctioning. Problem returned in the future.

Now, I don't put my top down very often, even though I have over 50k miles on the car. It can be weeks or months between lowerings. It seems clear that the problem is the micro-switches. What I am now wondering is if it is a clear failure of the switch, or a contact corrosion issue from under-use.

Is anyone who is experiencing this issue a frequent user of the top, or are just those who rarely lower it the ones experiencing the issue?

It would be great to learn that we just need to cycle it regularly to avoid the problem. As we all know, cars that are not used regularly experience the most system issues.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I use mine all the time. 99.9% the top is down. I don't think it is a corrosion thing. I never had an issue where the top would not go up or down. It would stop halfway, then I would have to either raise and lower it a bit until it finished the process to lower the top or close it. The below is from the quote:

Convertible Top Switch: driver's side micro switch has failed - left double micro switch kit only 1377.54

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use mine all the time. 99.9% the top is down. I don't think it is a corrosion thing. I never had an issue where the top would not go up or down. It would stop halfway, then I would have to either raise and lower it a bit until it finished the process to lower the top or close it. The below is from the quote:

Convertible Top Switch: driver's side micro switch has failed - left double micro switch kit only 1377.54
I guess my question actually is, how often do you raise and lower the top, rather than the percentage of time it is lowered/down.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts