Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
When I first got my used boxster, I had this fault happen once. I just tried again and it closed fine. I never saw it happen again. I also raise and lower the top several times a day, almost every single day.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Every time I get in and out of the car, so ,multiple times when I drive the car and I typically drive the car 3 times a month.

I guess my question actually is, how often do you raise and lower the top, rather than the percentage of time it is lowered/down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After having the sensors replaced, my top hasn't even though about having an issue. I'd consider just begging them to replace them both under warranty, if you haven't already.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Ah, saw this late. No I didn't. I suppose I'm not out of the tunnel yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an update, boxster is back in the shop again for top control fault. This after paying $2,110. First, $160 for diagnostic and resetting the computer, next visit, it needed new latch micro switch $1,600, next visit I am told battery not putting out high enough voltage, this can cause top control fault. Another $350. Car is back in shop again. I am really starting to want my old C6 back. Anyone else having continual problems with 981 top???

·
Registered
21 Posts
You say they replaced the latch micro switch. Did they also replace the driver and passenger pillar micro switches? These are what actually cause the issue. Still not sure why they obsess over the latch.

Also, what is your battery outputting? I have a hard time believing that, as for it to be that low you would have a hard time driving!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just an update, boxster is back in the shop again for top control fault. This after paying $2,110. First, $160 for diagnostic and resetting the computer, next visit, it needed new latch micro switch $1,600, next visit I am told battery not putting out high enough voltage, this can cause top control fault. Another $350. Car is back in shop again. I am really starting to want my old C6 back. Anyone else having continual problems with 981 top???
$1600 for a switch? That’s unreasonable. If this crap starts up on me, I’ll sell the car over it. Now, $1600 for something that keeps the car driving safely, is one thing, but for a dang switch for the top is stupid.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I've had my 981S for almost 6 years, and no problems with the top or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
$1600 for a switch? That’s unreasonable. If this crap starts up on me, I’ll sell the car over it. Now, $1600 for something that keeps the car driving safely, is one thing, but for a dang switch for the top is stupid.
Those switches are a couple hundred dollars. The labor is over $1k. I think I posted instructions earlier up this thread like a year ago, but I can't remember and am on mobile.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had my 981S for almost 6 years, and no problems with the top or anything else for that matter.
Your post is not helpful. Do you believe their issues are imagined or something?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I finally took my car in to have this issue resolved. Replacement of the 2 micro-switches was required to repair the problem. Top works correctly now.

Important note for anyone experiencing this issue going forward:

Based on my experience and my research, the only remedy for this issue is replacement of the micro-switches. My dealer insisted in doing their own diagnosis, and even after providing my own research and links to results experienced by others, they insisted in trying other remedies. The latch and the top module were both replaced before they tried the switches.

It is clear that the PIWIS does not correctly diagnose the problem, and this leads the tech in the wrong direction, resulting in unneeded parts replacement. And this is with Porsche guidance to the tech. So if you can get your dealer to seriously consider the history of this issue, you can save a lot of waited time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all,

This has been a very informative thread and one I’ll pass onto my local dealer.I bought my 981S a few weeks ago and was told it had some water ingress into the passenger footwell due to blocked drains in the roof system.the car was under warranty so the top module was replaced and relays I believe.its went back to Porsche several times and they never managed to fix it in the Uk.I have now imported the car into Ireland and am hoping my local Porsche Centre will have more luck.As the warranty has expired I’m hoping they will honor the work as it’s still not sorted under the original warranty claim..

The issue is similar to yours in the top stops traveling to open past halfway and I get ‘convertible hood not in final position ‘and also ‘fault of the soft top control system ‘

This then locks the roof halfway open closed for @ 30 mins until then I can’t open/close the roof.im afraid if it starts to rain I’m in big trouble .....

Funny thing is the time,that may be traceable as I can’t understand why a timer might stop an operation of any type from starting ???

Only happens on opening and not closing so far..

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is clear that the PIWIS does not correctly diagnose the problem, and this leads the tech in the wrong direction, resulting in unneeded parts replacement. And this is with Porsche guidance to the tech. So if you can get your dealer to seriously consider the history of this issue, you can save a lot of waited time.
Our 981B was at our independent for new tires and my wife mentioned that she had been having problems with the top. He was able to confirm that it was the microswitches though PIWIS was not indicating anything even as the top stopped midway. We're not quite ready to have this work done but will have the independent replace them probably later this month when we can leave it with him for a while.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all,

This has been a very informative thread and one I’ll pass onto my local dealer.I bought my 981S a few weeks ago and was told it had some water ingress into the passenger footwell due to blocked drains in the roof system.the car was under warranty so the top module was replaced and relays I believe.its went back to Porsche several times and they never managed to fix it in the Uk.I have now imported the car into Ireland and am hoping my local Porsche Centre will have more luck.As the warranty has expired I’m hoping they will honor the work as it’s still not sorted under the original warranty claim..

The issue is similar to yours in the top stops traveling to open past halfway and I get ‘convertible hood not in final position ‘and also ‘fault of the soft top control system ‘

This then locks the roof halfway open closed for @ 30 mins until then I can’t open/close the roof.im afraid if it starts to rain I’m in big trouble .....

Funny thing is the time,that may be traceable as I can’t understand why a timer might stop an operation of any type from starting ???

Only happens on opening and not closing so far..

Well the local OPC has found it’s a motor issue and is chasing Porsche head office to cover it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same issue on my UK sourced 2013 Boxster S in Singapore. Have to toggle the switch to get the roof up & down. Local garage here saying it's the SAM Module under the seat. Was the error traced to the microswitch ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Late update on my issues

motor was paid for Porsche dealer in Uk that did original work and hadn’t found the issue while under warranty and fitted by Porsche Dublin. That cleared all faults and let me take out a full 2 year Porsche extended warranty.Paid for it during collection process and after getting my keys tried to drop roof for 200km drive home.Roof failed halfway through travel again so had to leave car and take a new 2019 718 home. Has to be the quickest warranty claim ever lol. They replaced the center console switch’s and also the b pillar micro switches which don’t show up onfault codes

worked perfectly since

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to resurrect - my '14 boxster is doing this exact same thing - Started out a few times and annoying - now its every single time I open and it's near impossible to get the top all the way open - I have to start the close process then release the button and the top just "falls" back to the full open position... not cool for such a cool car.
At any rate, is this something an Indy dealer can fix as I'm sure they will be a little better on labor rates vs the Dealer..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having an issue with my top on this car. I bought from my local dealer 2 months ago. It was the dealership group owners personal demo. It had 5K miles on it and was sold to me as new since it had not been registered previously. Almost immediately I have experienced issues with the operation of the top. About 50% of of the time the top will stop in mid retraction and display " Top Not In Final Position". This happens while running or not, in park and in gear with vehicle stopped. It has also happened while moving and under the 30MPH threshold. Additionally it has occurred while closing the top. Approximately during 15-20 % of the failures the dash will display " Top Control Fault". All of these occurrences require that I release the open/close button and pull again, then the top completes it's operation.

I had it to the dealer after a few weeks after purchase and they verified that the fault occurred and re-calibrated the top. A few days later the failures came back. I've had the car back in shop now for 9 days and counting. While the shop has been able to get it to replicate on occasion it will not do so when it has been hooked up to their diagnostic equipment. They have contacted Porches Technical ( PTECH) and they have not been able to provide any additional assistance since it will not fault when on the equipment. Additionally the computer is not sorting any fault codes.

The dealer indicates they have not had any issues with Boxster tops displaying this behavior. I'm tremendously frustrated and becoming disappointed with the car. Has anyone else had something like this happen with their top? I'm looking for any info to help get this resolved. Thanks.
I had a veery similar problem when I bought my brand new 2013 Boxster. Had it in the shop numerous times and dealer could confirm the fault but couldn't fix it. I threatened the lemon law after the fourth time and being without the car for weeks on end. Suddenly I got a call from the regional rep and he begged me not to send in the lemon law letter. He had a tech flown in from Atlanta and had the top fixed in no time. A micro switch was faulty. Now it is acting up again after all these years. I hate to think what it will cost now that it is out of warranty.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts