Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a CPO Boxster 2013 Base this weekend on a dealer's lot and noticed the brake calipers.

IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0540.jpg

Isn'f this a sign of serious over heating from track use? I'm thinking the dealer has to have noticed them. The more normal looking black brake calipers are appealing. These look like a sign of trouble to me. Am I reaching the wrong conclusion? I'm thinking of ignoring this car.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
How many miles?
Get a print out of the over rev report
Do the rotors have cracks starting at the holes?
Pad thickness?
You might ask him to drop a front wheel and look at it to see if someone tried to paint these or if the black paint flaked off.
I have 14 track days on our car and have no discoloration on the S calipers.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I was looking at a CPO Boxster 2013 Base this weekend on a dealer's lot and noticed the brake calipers.

View attachment 60317 View attachment 60318

Isn'f this a sign of serious over heating from track use? I'm thinking the dealer has to have noticed them. The more normal looking black brake calipers are appealing. These look like a sign of trouble to me. Am I reaching the wrong conclusion? I'm thinking of ignoring this car.
The black calipers on a base model are not painted but rather the aluminum is anodized black, look closely at a new caliper and you will see this is not paint.

I would say that the car was driven in the winter and salt or other ice melting materials was allowed to sit on the suspension parts, a peek under the rear at the other aluminum bits should confirm.

Too bad Porsche doesn't use Ferritic nitrocarburizing on their rotors... :(

·
Registered
556 Posts

View attachment 60317 View attachment 60318

I find it hard to believe this would have been caused by over heating. They are stock brakes and in a track environment to reach this kind of thermal melt down the car would have been in the armco long before it got to the pits. I lean toward some sort of corrosion as it didn't weld the lug bolts to the flange.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah u know what. Sometime the car wash guy didn't clean the caliper with enough water then the soap dried out and that could make them look "dis-colored"

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's interesting. It makes it sound like it's easy to restore it to its original look by simply washing it off.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should call the dealer and mentions my reservation about the calipers and see what they say. Maybe they can have a lot person just go out and wash it off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts