Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 Boxster Base and I have an issue with the PDK. When in manual mode and I downshift, the car seems to lurch forward almost like its throttling up, however I'm coasting and my foot is not on the accelerator.

It does this in all gears and at moderate downshift speeds. Idle speed is normal otherwise.

Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 Boxster Base and I have an issue with the PDK. When in manual mode and I downshift, the car seems to lurch forward almost like its throttling up, however I'm coasting and my foot is not on the accelerator.

It does this in all gears and at moderate downshift speeds.

Thanks
Al
When you downshift, your revs increase which results in more power, accelerating forward. Should be the same in all vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

It does this in all gears and at moderate downshift speeds. Idle speed is normal otherwise.

Thanks
Al
It sounds you are describing the sport chrono rev matching feature, assuming you have the SC option. Downshifts will have a brief blip of the throttle while shifting to the lower gear. This emulates what a driver on a track would be trying to accomplish while using heel/toe driving technique.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds you are describing the sport chrono rev matching feature, assuming you have the SC option. Downshifts will have a brief blip of the throttle while shifting to the lower gear. This emulates what a driver on a track would be trying to accomplish while using heel/toe driving technique.
No, I don't have the SC option, it's a base. But it definitely is doing rev matching; however, it's not quite matching my Revs, LOL.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
No, I don't have the SC option, it's a base. But it definitely is doing rev matching; however, it's not quite matching my Revs, LOL.
That ICNU doesn't know what the hell he's talking about (I have it ignored for a reason). You're correct: PDK ALWAYS rev-matches, regardless of options (SC, PTV, etc), or mode (normal, sport, etc). It just does it more aggressively in sport and sport+. Anyway, both my CGTS and my brother's BGTS (always driven in sport/manual mode) feel like that but it's not a lurch. At least not at operating temperature. When cold, it definitely feels like a lurch forward. When fully hot, just as an interruption on engine braking when tranny is between gears and DME is blipping the throttle, just like if you were doing it with a manual. If you're braking, it's imperceptible. But if you're not using the brakes (just engine braking), then you can feel that 'interruption'. I'm almost sure that's what you're feeling (which is perfectly normal), but to be 100% sure, offer a ride on (or let him drive) your car to another PDK owner to confirm. Good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for taking the time to answer, ELP_JC. That makes a lot of sense now that I have driven the car after reading your post. I would describe the behavior as pressing in the clutch whilst keeping your foot on the gas pedal and then re-engaging the clutch. Its no big deal for me, I just want to ensure my technique is correct.

Thanks again!
Al

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That ICNU doesn't know what the hell he's talking about (I have it ignored for a reason). You're correct: PDK ALWAYS rev-matches, regardless of options (SC, PTV, etc), or mode (normal, sport, etc). It just does it more aggressively in sport and sport+. Anyway, both my CGTS and my brother's BGTS (always driven in sport/manual mode) feel like that but it's not a lurch. At least not at operating temperature. When cold, it definitely feels like a lurch forward. When fully hot, just as an interruption on engine braking when tranny is between gears and DME is blipping the throttle, just like if you were doing it with a manual. If you're braking, it's imperceptible. But if you're not using the brakes (just engine braking), then you can feel that 'interruption'. I'm almost sure that's what you're feeling (which is perfectly normal), but to be 100% sure, offer a ride on (or let him drive) your car to another PDK owner to confirm. Good luck.
Forgive me. I was under the impression that rev matching was only only on cars equipped with sport chrono, but thanks so much for once again demonstrating what a self righteous know it all nuisance you are on this forum. Your comment was completely uncalled for and in the end the issue is exactly what I said it was anyway. Unlike you, at least I'm capable of saying I made a mistake.

Its amusing considering the amount of nonsense you ramble on about in error here over and over again, most times contradicting yourself within the same post and then always making excuses and backpedalling on why you are somehow still correct once the actual facts are placed right in front of you. The irony of your snide comment is laughable, but not surprising at all considering that in most cases the one that is "that guy" on the forum is the only one that seems to not realize it.

Please feel free to demonstrate all of these errors I have made other than this post since you made the claim, but I'm sure you feel its like everything else you say, and it must be true simply because you say it is and that should be good enough. You aren't fooling anyone Juan Carlos and everyone here knows whats up. Pleeeeeease keep me on ignore, but I am certainly no "it" as you referred me, once again demonstrating to everyone just exactly what type of person you really are.

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
That ICNU doesn't know what the hell he's talking about
Your comment was completely uncalled for

:mad: I'm glad someone is helping the OP. That's good. Yes, PDK always revs match. This is easy to research, takes 10 seconds to google and there are countless discussions on this. With MT, it only rev matches in Sport +, hence the need for SC.

ELP your comment was uncalled for. And the reaction you just got, to a degree, should have been expected.

Please chill out and help the OP. If you don't want to see what the other is writing, just block them and move on. The purpose of the forum is to help each other, not to attack each other. Thank you for helping the OP. Lets try to stick to that.

thank you

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This behavior is very different from the TipTronic Transmission I was accustomed to on my 2004 Boxster S. That transmission really felt like a manual transmission being operated electronically.

The PDK, although it shifts mightily fast, feels more like an automatic than a manual transmission.

Does the Cobb PDK Tune fix or improve this behavior dramatically or incrementally?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
This behavior is very different from the TipTronic Transmission I was accustomed to on my 2004 Boxster S. That transmission really felt like a manual transmission being operated electronically.

The PDK, although it shifts mightily fast, feels more like an automatic than a manual transmission.

Does the Cobb PDK Tune fix or improve this behavior dramatically or incrementally?
There isnt anything to fix, as the rev matching is part of the design so the tranny is operating as it should. No, the Cobb tune has nothing to do with this. The Cobb tune does however remove the dead stop hesitation issue. You may not have experience it yet, but you eventually will. Flooring the throttle from a dead stop will sometimes result in a slight hesitation for about 1/2 second or so before the car actually starts to move, giving the sensation that it's stalling a bit on takeoff.

The Cobb tune also raises the shift points to higher RPM and speed when in full auto mode, as the stock config will shift gears very quickly even at low speeds and kills the performance, hence why many manually shift the car themselves. It also makes the shifts firmer

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hey Chow, that creep has been attacking me for no reason, hence my comment. But don't worry; can't see his comments, but even if I did, I won't get down to his level again. Take care.
And once again you speak nonsense. You do realize your claims can be verified by anyone dont you? Feel free to go back through every post I have made and show us exactly where these "attacks" occurred. The one and only recent post that I even made to you at all was six weeks ago on July 4th, and it was part of a normal discussion topic. Nothing out of the ordinary at all in that post.

Please show me just ONE of these imaginary attacks you claim I have made against you considering none of my post have even been directed to you and I will apologize immediately, but it won't happen because you seem to be making this stuff up as you go.

http://www.planet-9.com/search.php?searchid=11541297

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
i don't think this is the problem, but I have had sticking thottle at speed and the car refused to down shift at all until I tapped the throtte. I had to have the DME, ABS, and PCK adaptive memories cleared to fix. It took between 1000 and 1500 miles before the car shifted and braked normally as the systems had to learn each other to work in sync properly. Braking was especially bad for 500 miles and you have to be careful.

V6

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Thanks
Al
Algiorda, I just thought of something that you may want to check into regarding your issue. I have a 14 CS that was built and purchased in 13, and there was a DME update for my car a good while back that was specific to the PDK, and if I recall it was due to complaints from some about jerky shift behavior. These updates should have performed by the dealer if the car was being serviced by Porsche.

I still think what you are experiencing is likely just the rev matching since you were not used to the throttle blip behavior with your previous car, but this is at least something you can check into to make sure your car has had this update specific for the PDK

The specific update campaign number is WF86 Reprogram DME , so have a dealership look and see if your car has had this Porsche issued update. I'm not sure if you know the cars history or not since buying used, or if the prior owners were using Porsche for service. You can also determine if this update has been done by doing a VIN decode on your car. Suncoast will provide this service for $10 I believe it is and send you a pdf with the car's full build, warranty and options details, and you will see which updates have been done, Any open updates will be listed in red.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.