Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 3.4L 981 Cayman S Engine 9A1

I have a 2014 9A1 3.4L engine from a 2014 Cayman S with PDK. It is now available because my car was upgraded to a BGB Motorsports 3.8L engine. The 3.4L engine is in excellent condition and had about 10200 miles at the time of removal.

You can purchase this engine outright or I will accept a trade of a 9A1 2.7L engine and $1500 cash. Contact me beforehand if you desire to trade engines.

This ad is for the sale or trade of the engine only and is sold as-is. If a trade is desired, the 2.7L engine must be complete and functional and be acceptable by PCNA as a core.

If your desire a trade, it must happen before 30 June 2015 and after that, the trade offer expires and I will only accept a full purchase.

If a trade/exchange, the swap must be performed by BGB Motorsports in Ormond Beach, Florida before end of June.

To sweeten the deal, the 3.4L engine will come with an IPD Competition intake plenum with 82mm throttle body installed, a $1200 value. The engine, with IPD manifold, sport headers (that will not be part of this sale) and a tune that removed the throttle limit above 5000 RPM was estimated at 365 HP last January by BGB Motorsports.

The engine can also be used as a replacement for a 2012 and later base 991 with a 3.4L engine as the unused 991 parts from the 3.8L 991 engine can be delivered with the engine, if desired, which makes for a relatively simple swap.

If you are interested in a 2.7L to 3.4L conversion, contact John Tecce, BGB Motorsport, for a quote on the parts and labor for the swap, as you are only dealing with me for the engine.

In my opinion, trading your 2.7L engine and the labor to swap it will be far, far less than selling your base Boxster and Cayman and purchasing a used S or GTS model. A new 3.8L engine, with core charge and labor cost me over $35K.

I suspect the labor from BGB to perform the swap to be under $6K. Tuning and headers will be extra.

The actual additional costs for parts and labor to perform the swap are between you and BGB Motorsports or whomever you select to perform the installation.

Should you choose to not involve BGB in the installation of this engine, a full purchase is required and shipping is required and you agree to pay in addition to the engine price, the cost of freight from either Ormond Beach, FL or from Ohio, if unsold by end of June.

List Date: 4/5/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: 2014 3.4L 981 Cayman S Engine 9A1
--------------------------------------
This item is no longer available.

--------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: 2014 3.4L 981 Cayman S Engine 9A1

I am offering a once in a lifetime opportunity for a low cost major horsepower increase for a base Boxster or Cayman owner (relative to a 3.8L engine conversion).

I will trade my 3.4L engine for your 2.7L engine plus you give me $1500 cash. You must negotiate with BGB Motorsports to perform the engine exchange. The actual cost for parts and labor to perform the swap are between you and BGB. Your cost could be as low as $6000 plus the $1500 payment to me. Additional work, such as headers or software tuning would be additional. The catch is that I need your engine by the end of June as my window of opportunity to return a core engine closes at that time.

To sweeten the deal, I will include the IPD Plenum and 82mm GT3 throttle body in at no extra charge. Besides the engine, all you'd need is an ECU tune, sport headers and exhaust to have a 365 HP monster!

My car is currently at BGB undergoing an expensive 3.8L X51 upgrade and Porsche Cars North America is offering an insult as a core charge for the 3.4L. They offer 50 percent more for a 2.7L, which is why I want to help you and myself at the same time.

This is far cheaper than selling your 981 base Boxster or Cayman and buying a used S or GTS model!

PM me if interested in a trade.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

Out of curiosity , is that X51 3.8 engine an M97 or a 9A1 engine ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

The 3.8L X51 is a 9A1 engine ordered directly from PCNA by BGB Motorsports and is the one with 430HP. The prior version had a lot less HP (408?) . The engine and transmission are in the car, awaiting the arrival of a few other non-engine parts before I can pick it up.

Even within the 9X7.2 and 9X1 DFI engines there are some hardware differences that makes swaps difficult. The 9X7.2 uses a MAF (Mass air flow) sensor and the 9X1 uses a MAP Mass Air Pressure sensor. There may be some oiling system differences as well.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have closed the ad as I am in negotiations for a trade and don't want someone buying the engine out from underneath the person. If the deal falls through, I will repost it for sale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts