Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there ,

I used to have a 07 cayman around 4years ago and I loved it.
So I found a 2014 Cayman base manual with 33.8k miles, I saw the car in person and i know I want it!
I negotiated the price to 36000 right now .
The car is loaded with the infortainment package, one owner local car.
My major concern is its mileage. Is 33.8k miles considered high mileage on 2014?
I plan to keep it for 2 years and I am afraid there will be some expensive repairs. Is there any major problems on the 981 that I should beware of ? and what maintenance needs to be done at this mileage?

Looking forward to join the 981 family soon.
Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi there ,

So I found a 2014 Cayman base manual with 33.8k miles, I saw the car in person and i know I want it!
My major concern is its mileage. Is 33.8k miles considered high mileage on 2014?
I plan to keep it for 2 years and I am afraid there will be some expensive repairs. Is there any major problems on the 981 that I should beware of ? and what maintenance needs to be done at this mileage?

Thank you!!!!
No big issues like the old IMS fun many people had. As for maintenance, plugs would and brake fluid flush will be due at 40k miles. Brake pads and rotors may be coming up soon too, for the fronts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '14 981 was delivered on 5/27/14 and has 41k miles. It is my daily drive, and I haven't had any maintenance problems. I would not dream of selling it for $36,000. I think you are getting a real deal if you love the car.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I bought my 2014 BS new and now have 38k miles on it. It's still young. No problems. It will last to 200k miles. So will yours. Don't sweat it.

Reactions: Robstnr

·
Registered
404 Posts
A major issue for my 14CS was its warranty. I was told that the Porsche warranty was three years from the BUILD date. Since I abuse my car on the track, lurking in the back of my mind is the worry of a major problem occurring sometime in the future. Thus I pay $190/month for a pretty lousy extended warranty. I hate doing it, but I'd hate a $15,000 problem worse. If it's CPO, then the warranty is not an issue. If not a CPO, you might ask for an over-rev report, though it was sounds like it was someone's daily driver and it was probably not abused.

I have 24,000 miles on my '14 and it spends most of its time in a barn. Id I had been using it as my DD, it would probably have 40,000 miles now, so I wouldn't worry about the mileage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the words! I will move forward and get the transaction done on Monday! The owner is an attorney of a big firm,he was going to sell it to carmax.I am glad I hold his back from that. One owner car, originally was a lease! It should be all right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
if it was an attorney's daily driver, then maybe its okay. seems too low of a price, which always make me cautious. I would still recommend an inspection by a qualified p-shop. if you are in Los Angeles, there are several choices. if there are no problems, then that sounds like a great deal. I bought a 2014 981CS with 20k miles. It now has 32k miles and running great. enjoy. great car.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thank you for all the words! I will move forward and get the transaction done on Monday! The owner is an attorney of a big firm,he was going to sell it to carmax.I am glad I hold his back from that. One owner car, originally was a lease! It should be all right.
Sounds like a great deal. Get a PPI.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hope this is not too late: GET A PPI! Lawyer or not, they miss shifts just like anyone else. Milage on that car is a non-issue, it's a driver not a show car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi there ,

Thank you!!!!
I recently bought a used 981 and got a lot of great advice from the forum. If you're not buying it from a dealer, I would consider checking with the closest dealership to see if they would CPO the car for you. I am not sure if they can do that on a private sale but I think it would allow you to assume the original 72m/100k warranty.

I had the dealer do that for me for on a car I bought from them and ended up getting new tires, oil change and a few other things.

Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought it. I didn't get a PPI done but I will take the car to dealer tomorrow to see if they can get a final checkup before the warranty expires (it ends on 24th of this month). Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I bought it. I didn't get a PPI done but I will take the car to dealer tomorrow to see if they can get a final checkup before the warranty expires (it ends on 24th of this month). Has anyone done this before?
I've heard of dealers doing a final check for people. They benefit from finding anything hiding. Hope nothing turns up!

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Not sure what are you worrying about. Those are not Land Rovers. 33K miles is pretty low mileage. And you will still have warranty till 2019/50K! There are no major problems with 981s

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Not sure what are you worrying about. Those are not Land Rovers. 33K miles is pretty low mileage. And you will still have warranty till 2019/50K! There are no major problems with 981s
OP said warrantee expires end of this month, which is quite possible, 4 years after in-service date.

And OP, I hope all turns out well on the dealer check, we wish you had done that BEFORE purchase as in PRE PURCHASE inspection ;)

Now you have to trust a car dealer and a lawyer, jeez!

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took mine in for an oil change and the service department was happy to check everything. The price for the oil change was $210.00, I thought that was pretty good considering an indy garage charged $155.00 on my old Porsche. My warranty expires April 2018 and the dealer told me to bring it back and they'll go through it again.

Congrats on your new car!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
These cars have an excellent reliability rating. They're designed to be driven hard and, short of LOTS of heavy over-revs, you're going to be hard-pressed to break a stock, base Cayman. As with any car, there are always the occasional, annoying things that pop up. Ignition coil failures is one that comes to mind. But, if you're able to afford reasonable upkeep and don't mind paying the "Porsche Tax" for PM, then the price is a great deal........you should buy it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the late reply , went to dealership yesterday morning (Rusnak Pasadena). They are not able to do a "final inspection" for me , the lady said it is against the warranty policy BUT she had a technician took a test drive with me. He thinks the car is good. Everything should be alright.:hilarious: Next thing will be an aftermarket exhaust system and improve my manual skill.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.