Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boxster usually runs great but every now and then, especially if it sits for a while, I start it and I get all kinds of weird error messages like heated steering wheel malfunction, steering malfunction, engine error, and then the radio nav system will like completely shut off and reboot once or twice. Wondering if this is like a battery problem. possibly not enough voltage maybe? Also my auto-start stopped function is always disabled and will not work. For my previous experience with BMW, the same scenario happens when the battery does not have enough amperage in order to allow the auto start stop to work.

Anyone else seen these problems before have any idea?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Dying battery or failing coil packs will cause this. You are pretty much done on the factory battery after 7 years now assuming its the original and isnt kept on a battery tender when not being driven. You can source an identical aftermarket replacement for it (70Ah AGM) for less than $200 so I would start with replacing your battery before it strands you somewhere or you end up being locked out of the car and frunk without access to the battery which can be a huge pain in some cases

This is what I used to replace mine on my 2014 CS 1.5 years ago and its an identical drop in replacement. You can get 10-20% off for buying online and picking up in store and in many cases another $10 mail in rebate after purchase. Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 48 Car and Truck Battery - SLI48AGM at Batteries Plus Bulbs

There are other brands that will also works successfully. Do a Google search on the subject and you should find other forum discussions on the subject

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok - that was what I was thinking... Looked that SLI48AGM battery up and said to call for inventory. So Batteries plus looked up my car and said I need the SLI94RAGM - not the SLI48AGM. Don't get it - which is is?? I have the standard Boxster 2.7L. I double checked on their site and sure enough, it also points me to the SLI94...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
ok - that was what I was thinking... Looked that SLI48AGM battery up and said to call for inventory. So Batteries plus looked up my car and said I need the SLI94RAGM - not the SLI48AGM. Don't get it - which is is?? I have the standard Boxster 2.7L. I double checked on their site and sure enough, it also points me to the SLI94...
Odd considering the 981 is essentially the same car in either Boxster or Cayman trim.

Their site seems to be a hot mess of contradicting info as the 94 you reference says its 80Ah, but if I place my details in I get the same battery for both the CS 2.7 and 3.4 as a class 49, not 94 and they are identical but 92Ah which is not what came out of my car and was a 70Ah battery which is the 48?

I dont understand how the identical 2.7 engine in the Boxster needs a different battery than the same engine in a Cayman, so Im very confused by their sites recommendations? I bought mine based on several other members using the same one I have. I haven't had a single issue in 1.5 years and haven't heard of anyone else having one either, so my guess is any of them will work fine as long as they fit, but I will make sure to recommend the 94 going forward for any Boxster guys so thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool - thanks for the help!! Also just did a check on Autozone and it also pointed me to a group 94 battery...hmm, well I'll got with it and see - it does say it's a little bigger in size, but our cars have those 3 different holes to mount larger batteries...will swap and see!!! I'll keep posted...

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
87 Posts
Cool - thanks for the help!! Also just did a check on Autozone and it also pointed me to a group 94 battery...hmm, well I'll got with it and see - it does say it's a little bigger in size, but our cars have those 3 different holes to mount larger batteries...will swap and see!!! I'll keep posted...
I upgraded my battery to a 92ah group L5/49 when I replaced it about two years ago. It did take the largest position in the battery tray but was a perfect fit with no modification beside cleaning the mud nest out of the new bolt hole that was from some kind of insect.:) I got the new Bosch Platinum Series AGM battery at Pep Boys on sale with another discount code for only $128. The normal price before sale and discount was $220. I took full advantage of the larger 92ah battery by initializing it with my iCarsoft POR V2.0 tool.
Jim
A13C666B-D74D-40F1-BBF8-4C82C67CF065.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stuck in the group 94 battery - fit perfect after cleaning the tray.. so far so good, car even seemed to start better.. Will go about a week and see if the weird stuff has stopped..

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
87 Posts
Stuck in the group 94 battery - fit perfect after cleaning the tray.. so far so good, car even seemed to start better.. Will go about a week and see if the weird stuff has stopped..
Nocoyote,
If your new battery is the larger 92ah replacement you might also consider initializing it as I mentioned it in my post above. Our 981’s came with some new at the time features including “electrical system recuperation” and the dreaded auto start. All new batteries including a directory 70ah is recommended to be initialized to reset the maps to calculate the battery condition but IIRC upgrading to a bigger ah battery will take full advantage of the electrical system recuperation aka regenerative braking.

I was able to do that with my iCarsoft POR V2.0 scanner which also resets the oil service minder along with other trouble codes. I am sure other scanners will also initialize the battery but not all will. If you do decide to initialize the battery with a non Porsche battery you have to give it Porsche equivalent part numbers to make it think you have a new Porsche battery. So if you go that route I can look up the part numbers I used to make it think you have a new 92ah battery and take the full advantage of the bigger battery. This also works on a 80ah battery.

I seldom use auto start stop but I just like to know everything works and whenever I switch it on it works and that’s a quick check to make sure your battery is fully charged.
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a scanner for it - everything is now working including my auto stop/start. So am I going to have issues without doing this "reset"?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This topic has come up many times over the years. Some do it or have the dealer do it, but the majority of those swapping out their own batteries do not. I have never heard or seen anyone report that any issues have occured doing a simple plug and play like you and many other have done.

Is it the 100% Porsche way by the book....no. Does it really matter in the end? Again, no one has ever reported any issues by not doing it. You can always have the dealer do it for you if you are concerned about it, but expect to get a $100+ hit for it.

The most important thing in this so called "programming" is if you need to switch from AGM to flooded cell type which we didn't do and never will as there are very different charging methods for the two types of batteries and using the wrong one could potentially damage the battery. The rest of it all revolves around the dreaded auto start/stop feature

I could care less about auto SS, which will still work just fine anyway on a new battery so Im going the route of many others and not worrying about personally as its been disabled on my car for 7 years since the day I bought it. Others may use it routinely and think otherwise. This regenerative coasting feature and special charging logic to save a tiny amount of fuel with PDK is only active if auto SS is enabled, so it does nothing for me anyway

There is a little "box" connected to the negative post on the battery you may have noticed when swapping out where all of this special battery logic comes from and you can simply disconnect it and it all goes away and shuts the auto SS function down permanently, but the rest of the car works perfectly fine without it.

In the end its a personal choice and you have to decide if you think it will worry you or not. Here is a little reading from another member on exactly what the smart charging module is is doing if interested What did you do to your 981 today?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I hope you have fixed your car issue. If not, check if your alternator is charging properly too. It happened to my BMW 330 flashing warning lights, air bags, heated seats, radio, ABS, etc. and eventually died in the middle of intersection after ignoring it for a week. You should get at least 14.1 volts or more using volt meter taken from battery terminals and engine running idle with headlights on. Your car is relatively new and the alternator maybe OK but checking it does not hurt and gives more peace of mind. I agree to comments here that culprit might be the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well so far my car has now been working good - no flashing weird errors, no audio reboot, etc.. I am still having a weird top function error that I was hoping would go away.
When opening, it gets to like 80% open (just behind the seats) and stops. Then simply says "top not in open position". If I press the close button, to get it moving again, then press the open again, it then goes all the way back...just weird..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well so far my car has now been working good - no flashing weird errors, no audio reboot, etc.. I am still having a weird top function error that I was hoping would go away.
When opening, it gets to like 80% open (just behind the seats) and stops. Then simply says "top not in open position". If I press the close button, to get it moving again, then press the open again, it then goes all the way back...just weird..
This is a pretty common issue. Always this has been caused by the micro switches buried under the top. Requires replacement and configuration by the dealer. Switches are cheap, but labor is quite a bit.

Also be aware that the PIWIS diagnosis often sends the tech in the wrong direction for the repair, blaming the latch, or maybe just a reset to cure it. In all examples I am aware of, the micro switch replacement is the only solution. I tried to warn my tech, but he would not listen. Reset twice (2 trips to the dealer for this), and new latch (dealer reimbursed me for it). Replaced the switches and it has been fine since.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm sure you could but I don't think I've seen a write up or documentation on it. Not saying it isn't out there. IIRC you'd need to remove the top. Not sure what else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts