Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I backed my 981 Boxster (6 Speed Manual) out of the driveway, when I went to put it in 1st gear, it picked up 3rd instead. To get 1st, I had to go all the way over to where Reverse normally is. The problem was, I couldn't find Reverse again. The stick felt extremely loose. After a few minutes of driving, I totally lost 1st and 2nd. I was able to limp to the dealer which is about 10 miles away using just 3rd and 4th. They had a loaner for me and they kept my Boxster over night.

Today I got a call from the service manager telling me that he was able disconnect and readjust the shifter cables and got it working, however PCNA want to replace them. It will take about a week to get the parts from Germany.

I purchased the car new in Sept and only have 12k miles on it !?!?

·
Registered
358 Posts
After spending $100M on new headquarters in Atlanta, they can't afford to stock parts in the US...

Problems with the shifter cable don't seem to be all that unusual...

If you look at where the shifter is located and where the transmission is located, and how this mechanism works, it's pretty amazing that it works and holds up as well as it does...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Be happy that you get new cables and have a loaner for a week. Yeah it sucks, but Just get it done and move on...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be happy that you get new cables and have a loaner for a week. Yeah it sucks, but Just get it done and move on...
I'm new to the brand (20 years previously driving BMWs).... Is this what I have to look forward to?.... Just being thankful that they are taking care of the problems?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm new to the brand (20 years previously driving BMWs).... Is this what I have to look forward to?.... Just being thankful that they are taking care of the problems?
I am new as well also from BMW's. I have a 987.2 however. It's my belief all cars have an "Achilles heal". This seems to be very prevalent on the 987's. I wasn't expecting to see this happening on a 981 ever. I researched the **** out of Caymans and 911's before I bought and all I saw were IMS and Water pumps. Otherwise these cars are bulletproof. This issue totally escaped me and/or I wasn't as attention to detail as I had thought. These cars by NO MEANS seem problematic but now as an owner and reading thread after thread about another busted cable; I believe ppl's frustration stems from that it seems extremely misplaced and very fixable in a car of this price point and lineage. Another thing I believe is bothering folks is in the little time I've been around, Porsche seems to be totally ignorant that this is CLEARLY A DEFECT and not goodwilling/standing by the owners when this inevitably happens. I used to be afraid my water pump is going to just go any minute but I am now gingerly shifting and infinitely more afraid of this happening due to the frequency I see here. I ADORE this brand and have for years but this lack of quality in what seems is a simple part that should NEVER wear out is atrocious at best. I've been driving manuals for 25 years and NEVER lost a cable. Even in econoboxes. This needs to be addressed by corporate or at least acknowledged. I still LOVE my car though and would definitely do it all over again.
I am speaking mostly to the out of warranty occurrences. Though this stinks in or out of warranty.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Unfortunately that appears to be the case to some extent. PCNA needs to force their dealers to stock commonly-needed parts -- including tires as the #1 priority but certainly not limited to them -- because the dealers aren't taking the initiative to do so on their own.

I'm pretty surprised to hear of shifter cable issues after 12K miles, though. That's gotta be a fluke, I can't believe they're all doing that.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
That would be affirmative ! Now you have the honor and distinction of driving a PORSCHE, and should not complain :wall:

Cheers

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's pretty crappy ... Shifter cables breaking and then replacement parts needing to ship from Germany? :crazy:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'm pretty surprised to hear of shifter cable issues after 12K miles, though. That's gotta be a fluke, I can't believe they're all doing that.
I've about 32000 km on my 981 BS. It's cables are fine (knock on wood) and it's had its gears rowed -- and then some.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I've about 32000 km on my 981 BS. It's cables are fine (knock on wood) and it's had its gears rowed -- and then some.
I've got 17,500 miles (about 28km) on my 6MT 2014 BS. No issues of any type including the shift cable. Only a few of those miles have been on a highway so I have been rowing big time. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I too had driven BMW's exclusively for over 20 years. BMW always used its buyers as beta testers for quality control purposes. There were a few issues where they were forced to take corrective action for problems they initially denied existed.

As this doesn't appear to be a widespread problem, it's probable that Porsche might not stock the parts. Just be glad that they acknowledge the problem and are willing to resolve it at no cost to you. Would BMW have done this??

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
...This issue totally escaped me and/or I wasn't as attention to detail as I had thought. These cars by NO MEANS seem problematic but now as an owner and reading thread after thread about another busted cable; I believe ppl's frustration stems from that it seems extremely misplaced and very fixable in a car of this price point and lineage.
I guess I missed something, but have defective/worn shifter cables become a common problem in 981's?

·
Registered
110 Posts
What a whine for something relatively minor that is going to be fixed free of charge! A little different than an imploding BMW M3 engine........

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I guess I missed something, but have defective/worn shifter cables become a common problem in 981's?
I know a few folks with older Boxsters, as well as newer ones. I've never heard of this as a common problem at all. Reliability has been well above average for many years now.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Maybe they don't stock them b/c it's uncommon? First I've heard of this. Be thankful that it's covered under warranty. In 2006, there were a handful of defective tie rods for the 997/987, I was the lucky one with them, had to paid out of my own pocket. It's a wear and tear item but it shouldn't wear with only 22K miles. Every car has it's own problems, Hondas and Toyotas isn't immune.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Maybe they don't stock them b/c it's uncommon? First I've heard of this. Be thankful that it's covered under warranty. In 2006, there were a handful of defective tie rods for the 997/987, I was the lucky one with them, had to paid out of my own pocket. It's a wear and tear item but it shouldn't wear with only 22K miles. Every car has it's own problems, Hondas and Toyotas isn't immune.
Just do a search on "shifter cables"... looks like it is common on the 987... mine is the first 981 that I could find though.

This post does a good job of laying it out in detail with links:

[url]http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/75482-broken-shifter-cable.html

[/URL]

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It wouldn't be minor for me. I'd be major annoyed. And there have been reported failures on older models that put the driver in danger on a high speed highway or on ramp. It SHOULD NOT be happening to the degree being reported here and on other sites. What is the percentage of failure? I don't think anyone knows. But I think most consider it only "minor" if it happens to someone else. But if it happens to you it's not "minor" and it shouldn't be happening, period.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I posted my cable issue here. The bracket bolt got loose at about 10k miles. A tighten and validation and they sent me on my way. Been another 10k since and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 58 Posts