Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orig owner and need new tires for above vehicle. Love this car and want to hold onto it as long as possible. No problems to date. Just a weekender.

Any suggested brand/model tires as replacement? Currently has original 18" Dunlop 235 and 265/45ZRs which I cant find without getting ripped off at dealer. Looked at Discount Tire and have alot to choose from but unsure which is best.

Also, anyone who has an 2014 981 purchased an extended warranty? Which one? I am getting more convinced to just self insure but open to suggested plans.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I'm a big fan of Tire Rack and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire. On my second set and very happy with them. Got 24,000 miles out of the last set of rear tires versus 19,000 from the Michlein Pilot PS2s that preceeded the Super Sport. The Pilot Sport 4S is also supposed to be very good.:cheers:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I doubt I will get an extended warranty. If I were going to spend the money I'd probably look at moving up a bit. That said I am very happy with the '14 Base, far more car than our roads and this driver can handle. :)

Reactions: PG-IN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I totally agree. Got the PDK tranny and just love to drive this baby. Holds and handles awesome and really moves plenty quick enough for me.
Got it new and have babied it since day one. Not a mark or scratch on it. No mechanical issues either. How about you? I am going to discontinue my use of the dealer for maint work since
found a private reputable Porsche shop in town that charges about half dealer price for work. ie the 4 year service is only $1.2K vs. $2k at the dealer. When it goes off factory warranty, no point
in paying out the *** for dealer maint.

I was thinking about trading it in but I know I will miss it even if upgrade and since its just a funmobile, can't justify replacing it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
PS I have the same exterior color as you and love it. Black interior.
I have the black interior too. Damn leather smell is intoxicating, far better than the old "new car" scent. Yes I baby my car too, waited practically a lifetime to get it so it gets star treatment.

I have been to a local very good indy shop - European Road and Racing - and also the dealer for some warranty work. Neither are inexpensive but as long as the work is done correctly I don't mind spending a little more. There is another recommended indy shop that I was going to check out but since we are moving will probably see what is available there. I had an excellent experience at the dealer, Baker Porsche, not the same as the traditional ones I've had in the past.

PS Sorry for the late response, just came back across this thread.

What tires did you decide on? Here in SC I think I will stick with summer tires and just not drive it when we have those colder days. We do plan to move from the coast to upstate where the temps are a bit cooler but I don't plan to drive my car in the snow and can use the wife's Mini when it is colder. I just can't justify two sets of tires at the moment, but will see how it goes when we move though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm a big fan of Tire Rack and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire. On my second set and very happy with them. Got 24,000 miles out of the last set of rear tires versus 19,000 from the Michlein Pilot PS2s that preceeded the Super Sport. The Pilot Sport 4S is also supposed to be very good.:cheers:
Is that an "all weather" or "summer" tire? I have the original Dunlops and want to replace them next year but would like a tire I could also drive in the winter for a change.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Is that an "all weather" or "summer" tire? I have the original Dunlops and want to replace them next year but would like a tire I could also drive in the winter for a change.
All mentioned are summer tires exclusively. They are NOT particularly good below 45 degrees and it's highly recommended to not drive with them in cold temps. They stay very hard and traction becomes dangerous.:cheers:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've run two sets of Continental DWS-06 on our Volvo wagon and am very happy with the A/S performance - no snow in Houston but they're great below freezing and we've been in light snow in NM with no issues. Michelin also makes a Pilot A/S. For daily summer tires, you cannot beat MPSS (or the newer PS4).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been running Michelin PS4S for over 10K miles now and they are amazing! They are quiet, more comfortable and noticeably gripped than Eagle F1s the car came with. Also the wet traction is astounding.

I got my with 18” wheels too but just to get this tire I changed the wheels :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.