Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worthwhile to pursue xwarr from dealer on this car? Only drive about 4-5k per year and want to keep for 3 more years. How much is a reasonable price for this add 3 yrs of coverage?
All it needs are tires. currrentlu on orig 18 in. Bridgestones. Looking to just go to Discount Tire and get michelines. any suggestions on tires?

Love this car and no problems to date since purchased as new. Looking to get future maint work done at reputable German car garage to save money from ripoff dealer
charges. Should xwarr be honored if this garage is certified? It is in excellent condition.

not sure if worthwhile getting xwarr given the limited local/fun driving I do with this baby to continue for next 3 years.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Guessing your car trade in value about $35k since retailing for about $40k on carmax. Add ext warr about $3k for 4 years. Your at $38k. Trade in for a 2015 /2016 CPO 981 S and you get an upgrade and 3 more years of warranty for a loan or cash for maybe just additional $15k or so.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Is it worthwhile to pursue xwarr from dealer on this car?
Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic. It's really more about the individual than it is the object in question. Otherwise everyone would get extended warranties or everyone wouldn't bother with them. Those that want to attempt to mitigate risk tend to get extended warranties. Those not concerned don't bother with them and basically self-insure against potential future issues. Personally, I would highly prefer CPO to any other extended warranty even if Porsche branded or sold by a Porsche dealer. Dealers don't all sell the same extended warranties or even just one extended warranty option. Just as one example, the dealer that services our 981 offer the Porsche VSP (which actually Safe Guard) as well as Easy Care. They used to sell Fidelity.

You'll have to shop around for warranties for pricing and to see what fits your budget. You don't have buy them from the dealer you got your vehicle from.

any suggestions on tires?
Don't overlook Tires & Wheels. Lots of threads on tire options there. It would really help to know what you're specifically looking for from a tire, budget, etc.

Should xwarr be honored if this garage is certified?
Should be, generally speaking, but you need to carefully review the warranties you're considering. Don't assume all extended warranties to be identical. They can and do vary.

I'd also highly recommend that you talk to the shop you intend to use to see what their experience has been with different extended warranties. They're the ones that will have to work with the warranty company.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It's really more about the individual than it is the object in question. Those that want to attempt to mitigate risk tend to get extended warranties.
Your first statement is true. The second isn't. I'm one of those, but an 'extended warranty' is not the answer. I put it in quotes because it's NOT an extended warranty; all of that crap are simply service contracts, that have nothing to do with warranty. It's because of that stupid name that many folks think they're safer than they are... and that coverage is like if it was the original warranty, which it isn't, and by a long shot. Those even considering them, need to investigate the company (large enough it's not going to go bankrupt anytime soon, that covers their debts, it in good financial footing, etc), but most importantly, WHAT THEY OFFER. Many are extremely deceiving, have prorated coverage, etc. In general, if such a contract is not EXCLUSIONARY, meaning it clearly states what is not covered (making everything else covered), I wouldn't even consider it, especially if not very mechanically inclined. And second, you need to carefully check the rest, like cost, deductible, where it covers, when it covers (most are from in-service date, so very deceiving), transferable or not, etc. As I mentioned, they're cash-cows for dealers, and they push them like crazy, because they're mostly profit. And that means very, very few people benefit from them, while many actually don't get covered, even when they thought they would. Therefore, mostly a false sense of security IMO... just like runflat tires;). But that's a different subject. Ha ha. The bottom line is if you NEVER buy any such crap (like most of us here, I'd guess), we're so far ahead of the game that I don't even worry about it. I could pay for a replacement engine and still be ahead of the 'extended warranty' game by a lot. But as always, to each his own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.