Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Only started looking at Caymans recently.

Question: I'm looking for opinions on whether a discount of 10K for 2014 Base Cayman with ~9k miles would be a too much of a risk or considered a good deal. I see one just the way I want for ~55K or I can buy new for ~65K. What worries me is how the loaner was treated. I just test drove a new Cayman...the sales person said a Porsche doesn't need to be broken in (later I read the recommendations from the manual)...and I'll just say he didn't follow the recommendations. So if loaners or test cars are run cold to redline often with less than 2k miles what can you expect. Looking for opinions.

Thx,

Scott

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some things that I would think about for this car.. Are you buying it from the dealer who "loaned it out"?; was the warranty activated when the car went into service as loaner?; is the dealer giving you a CPO warranty? (this is a biggie for me because of the extra length of the warranty); After weighing the answers to those questions I would make a decision. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would be buying it from the dealer that loaned it out. They still consider it a new car so I don't think the warranty was activated and I do believe they will be applying CPO coverage as well. They said CPO is normally reserved for pre-owned cars but will apply to this one as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It seems you are asking two questions:

1) Does being a loaner have a significant impact on the value of the car?, and
2) Does a $10K discount compensate for that devaluation, if it exists?

I am interested in these questions also, because I have been considering such vehicles.

If you are talking about 2014's, I have seen many dealers, depending on the area, discounting, new, unregistered, low mileage (<100) cars for at least 10% off MSRP, often 15%.

For a loaner with 9K miles with a warranty that has not been punched (in other words you will get the full four-years and 50K miles) I would want 20% off MSRP. I would expect a similar 20% discount for a loaner with a punched warranty with CPO. If the warranty has been punched and no CPO, I would be looking at a 25% discount.

Is it MT? If so you can check the DME. Same for PDK, but probably of much less value. However, high revs when the oil is cold can cause even more problems and that is a likely scenario for a loaner.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
For peace of mind and you can afford - go new.

If price is of concern, go with the loaner. it would be different for another brand, but i would imagine most loanees (more mature) are not ill-treating it.

The dealer will be the one doing the service and maintenance right? If so, they should have your back.

G/L

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes, I would be buying it from the dealer that loaned it out. They still consider it a new car so I don't think the warranty was activated and I do believe they will be applying CPO coverage as well. They said CPO is normally reserved for pre-owned cars but will apply to this one as well.
Yes, I would have no fear of the car as being a loaner. Just make sure the dealer bought it for inventory and used it (and did not buy it as a "special" situation car from PCNA and reselling.

As far as values are concerned, a 9k miles base 981 with PDK and medium options should sell in the low $50s. If they CPO it, get new brakes and tires and $55K is right on target.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
My first Cayman was a loaner. I got a good deal and the car never gave me any problems. I would consider another one if one ever came my way.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You should be able to negotiate at least a 4000.00 discount off MSRP for a brand new base model and get it your way without any mileage depreciation. You would also know exactly how the car was treated from day one. If you are willing to throw down 55k to get behind the wheel of a Cayman then an additional 5 or 6K for complete peace of mind should be a no brainer. However, if they dropped the price another 5k on the loaner with the CPO warranty then it would be a tough decision.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
My BS meter just went off big time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies...The car has a 6MT. I live in Austin, the car is in Houston so I only had a short phone conversation and have not seen it in person. I will clear up whether it is new with original warranty or CPO...I plan on aggressively going after the price, but then again I would for a new one as well so I think either way it will be about a 10k difference. I hope I could get it for the low 50s.

·
Registered
299 Posts
For what it's worth, the dealer let me drive a brand new less than 100 miles 6MT off the lot, as they had only PDK available for test drives.

So brand new, loaners, 2014 existing inventroy, etc. they're all the same really.....

Factory ordered is the way to go for peace of mind and full customization. I don't know your financial situation, but is $10k savings worth it for you? Depends how long you want to keep the car.

If this is your dream retirement car and you will keep for a long time, I would just buy brand new imo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts