Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Cayman that I purchased new and it still has the original battery in it. I want to proactively replace it since it has to be close to giving up the ghost.

What is everyone using for a battery replacement? I want to avoid the dealer since I can't imagine that the OEM battery is all that special.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You (and I) will probably get some hate here for not going EOM replacement... You are right, there are only a few makers of batteries and I'm pretty sure Porsche is not one of them. I'd go Costco as they have a 3-year no-questions-asked replacement policy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought OEM from Suncoastporsche.com It was about $270 shipped. As I've stated in other threads, my Cayman was built in Feb, 2013, I replaced the original battery last year. Diehard, Interstate, Walmart, Ford, GM...NEVER have I had one of those batteries last 4 years let alone 7, so OEM is what I bought.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In the days before Exide bought them, the Megatron battery was superb. I agree with Shawn, I'm going to Costco. My year requires no "programming to car" so it's just plug and play. Even though Interstate is now owned by a lousy company, I have always got the stated usage out of the battery with careful cell maintenance with distilled water. PS Porsche battery is 100% someone private labeling on behalf of Porsche. Factor in the stealership penalty / markup and you can almost two for one with a Costco battery.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have a 2014 Cayman that I purchased new and it still has the original battery in it. I want to proactively replace it since it has to be close to giving up the ghost.

What is everyone using for a battery replacement? I want to avoid the dealer since I can't imagine that the OEM battery is all that special.

Thanks in advance.
Below is what I replaced mine with 2.5 years ago. It's an exact drop in replacement for the factory 70Ah AGM. You can order online and get a discount when you pick up in store of 10 %, and mine also had a mail in rebate so I was all in for about $180 at the time.

As stated, Porsche doesnt make batteries. They sub them out like all other makers do to one of the few battery factories such as Banner or other suppliers. The same factories also make the other brands you see being sold from Walmart to any local auto parts stores. The only thing different about the battery is the sticker on it and the price.

The same applies to the plugs, belts and host of other parts on our cars that are all made by 3rd parties, and sell the exact same item without the Porsche sticker on it for far less

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just replaced my 2014's original battery with a Braille, which saves a good 30lbs, but the bracketry to get it mounted right was a pain.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Below is what I replaced mine with 2.5 years ago. It's an exact drop in replacement for the factory 70Ah AGM…
Good point on AGM.

From Cayman Register - FAQ: Cayman Model History :

“Electrical Recuperation - The 981 gets a new Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) battery and an intelligent alternator. These two parts work together. During coasting and braking, the alternator output will adjust to full charge - dumping electrical energy into the AGM battery. The now overcharged battery doesn't need additional charging, so the intelligent alternator can free wheel during acceleration. This will increase both efficiency and performance.”

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Good point on AGM.

From Cayman Register - FAQ: Cayman Model History :

“Electrical Recuperation - The 981 gets a new Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) battery and an intelligent alternator. These two parts work together. During coasting and braking, the alternator output will adjust to full charge - dumping electrical energy into the AGM battery. The now overcharged battery doesn't need additional charging, so the intelligent alternator can free wheel during acceleration. This will increase both efficiency and performance.”
Yes, the 987 guys may or may not have AGM batts in their cars, but all of the 981s and up do. It shouldn't matter as the factory coding on the battery is either set for lead acid or lipo, so nothing should change either way unless switching out to a lighter lipo battery chemistry. Like most of the DIY guys, I've never bothered to recode anything after replacement and all is just fine.

All of that coasting stuff above is only active if the auto start stop feature on the 981 is active, which means not even for the rare guys that use that feature if they activate the sport modes which will also disable auto SS. Its this more complicated regenerative coasting battery charging logic above that is supposedly the reason for telling the car that the battery is fresh, but my auto SS has been disabled since the day I took the car home from the dealership in 2013, so my car has never needed it.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
32 Posts
My OEM lasted ~7 years as well. Upgraded to a light weight lithium battery recently with no issues.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I went with a Bosch AGM. Pep Boys doesn't seem to carry it anymore. Looks like the current equivalent is probably the S6587B.

·
Registered
34,343 Posts
I went with a Champion AGM Battery, Group Size 35 in Dec'19 from PepBoys. Been working fine for me. Cost me $183. I would have gone with Bosch but they didn't have any at the time.

·
Registered
34,343 Posts
Batteries are very heavy and shipping is leery of items that contain caustic chemicals, it would not surprise me if online retailers refused to ship heavy car batteries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts