Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a feature where, should you stall the car, if you press the clutch down, the engine starts immediately. Nice feature.

I just received my 2014 Cayman S and drove it perhaps 70 miles today. On about 8 occasions, while stopped at a light, with my foot on the brake, but no feet on the gas or clutch, and with the stick in neutral, the engine stopped. It did not hesitate and cough and die. It stopped as if I had turned the ignition off.

And on four occasions, 12 seconds later, it just started right up again, without me moving a muscle. I never depressed the clutch: my foot was off the clutch

Is this some feature that I do not understand, or a problem? And if a problem, where should I be looking?

This is a Carvana car, and I have 6 days to decide if I want to keep it or not. The above behavior is slightly annoying, but not a show stopper, unless it is a symptom of a more serious problem.

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you have the Auto Start/Stop function on? Check the centre button cluster to see if the button was on or off.
Sounds like you're describing the engine shutting down when the auto start/stop is on.
Always a good thing to read the owners manual when getting a new car. enjoy it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @speedbird19! I wondered what that "A" button was.

I received about a dozen documents with the car, including a hard cover book about Porsche, a huge book about the warranty, a large book about the radio, and a quick start guide. But I did not receive the manual at all.

I looked around for a PDF version of the manual, online, but could not find one.

Thanks, again

·
Registered
142 Posts
See if you can download the Porsche 'Good to know' app which will give you a full manual.

Sport mode will also disable the auto-stop-start.

/R

My Porsche pics on Instagram: the_porsche_rich

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Not like auto stop/start is something new or unusual; pretty much every car made now has the function. Don't think you need a manual to press the deactivate button.
Just saying

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not like auto stop/start is something new or unusual; pretty much every car made now has the function. Don't think you need a manual to press the deactivate button.
Just saying
Let's keep it friendly, OP has come here for advice and we are happy to oblige :)

/R

My Porsche pics on Instagram: the_porsche_rich

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks @speedbird19! I wondered what that "A" button was.

I received about a dozen documents with the car, including a hard cover book about Porsche, a huge book about the warranty, a large book about the radio, and a quick start guide. But I did not receive the manual at all.

I looked around for a PDF version of the manual, online, but could not find one.

Thanks, again
Porsche doesnt provide pdf versions of their manuals. They will gladly sell you the original printed manual several hundred Dollars though :) As stated, go here and you will find the info in digital and video format. You wont see the 981 listed on the home page but its in the 718 Boxster/Cayman link. There is also a very handy mobile app called "Porsche Good to Know" you can download.

Porsche Digital Owner’s Manuals - Porsche USA

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 981 Cayman (Base/S/GTS) Manual PDF in my Dropbox. I don't want to put the link here cause it'll get spidered into oblivion, but anyone who wants it can just shoot me a DM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a complete set of manuals for $100 or so on eBay; SunCoast Parts seems to have the owners manual for $40.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know that there is a feature where, should you stall the car, if you press the clutch down, the engine starts immediately. Nice feature.

I just received my 2014 Cayman S and drove it perhaps 70 miles today. On about 8 occasions, while stopped at a light, with my foot on the brake, but no feet on the gas or clutch, and with the stick in neutral, the engine stopped. It did not hesitate and cough and die. It stopped as if I had turned the ignition off.

And on four occasions, 12 seconds later, it just started right up again, without me moving a muscle. I never depressed the clutch: my foot was off the clutch

Is this some feature that I do not understand, or a problem? And if a problem, where should I be looking?

This is a Carvana car, and I have 6 days to decide if I want to keep it or not. The above behavior is slightly annoying, but not a show stopper, unless it is a symptom of a more serious problem.

Thanks!

Jon
My first reaction is that this is normal. My auto stop/start can start/stop the car at a light depending on whether the aircon is running, the stereo, etc. I believe it senses battery drain and starts the engine when it feels it needs to have the alternator running. I would assume the reverse could/would occur as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
yes, this is normal operation for the auto start/stop feature. FYI - if you put the car in sport mode it will defeat the feature. Once my engine is warm I always drive in sport mode. One less button to push :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts