Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2014 CS. First thing I want to do is upgrade the base suspension.

I've seen the kit for Suncoast for $1500 and then some people here just use a GT3 front sway bar and an X73 rear sway bar.

Is the full kit worth it? I'm willing to spend the money but only if I see significant improvements.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get the X73 suspension. It is definitely worth it. I had it installed on my '13 BS. It also includes front and rear sway bars and the ride height is lowered by 20mm (0.787") over the standard (non-PASM) suspension. The stance looks great too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The rear is pretty much the same size but solid. I have read anywhere from 20-30% stiffer. This makes a difference all by itself.

The front is larger by 1.0-1.5mm. Not a big difference 10-20% but it balances out the rear bar nicely IMO. I have PASM.

·
Registered
710 Posts
These are the specs for the Boxster. The Cayman is nearly the same. You can see all the differences between the four different suspensions. The springs are each a little stiffer as you go from stock to PASM to X73. The biggest difference is that the X73 bar has a relatively stiffer rear sway bar by about . This of course stiffens up the rear more than the front and decreases the inherent safety net of understeer dialed into the lesser suspensions by the factory. With this adjustment you will have a more neutral handling car that can get a little tail happy if you are not careful.

Text Font Document Line Paper

Specifications

Text Line Slope Parallel Plot

Shock valving of the three suspensions

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone had track time with the X73 rear sway on a PASM equipped 981? I have a Boxster S with PASM, and I am considering putting in the rear sway upgrade. I understand it helps around town and in the twisting roads. I'm wondering what it is like on the track? I do about 2-3 DE sessions a year. Or do I need to also put in the front X73 sway bar?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you try it with just the rear X73 bar, or have you always had both bars? The rear bar is pretty inexpensive a solution. But doing the front bar, as I understand it, is complicated and requires quite a bit of labor.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Has anyone had track time with the X73 rear sway on a PASM equipped 981? I have a Boxster S with PASM, and I am considering putting in the rear sway upgrade. I understand it helps around town and in the twisting roads. I'm wondering what it is like on the track? I do about 2-3 DE sessions a year. Or do I need to also put in the front X73 sway bar?
I had the X73 rear bar on my '14 CS with PASM, but had a three position GT3 front bar installed at the same time. Since I went to 295/30-19 rear tires on 11" rims, the rear bar was not stiff enough to reduce understeer, so I had to change the front bar to the weakest position and installed recently the Tarett adjustable (5 position) rear bar in stiffest position. Along with a slightly wider 245/35-19 front tires, the car is now neutral and for the first time, I can steer with the throttle around turns. With narrower (stock sized) tires all around, the x73 stuff works.

V6

·
Registered
710 Posts
Both X73 bars is best, but more expensive to add the front one. You can certainly start with the rear one alone and try that to start with. The only concern would be to have too much oversteer without upgrading the front as well. This has never been mentioned before on this forum that I am aware of though. If there is still concern about this issue it can easily be balanced out by adding a little more negative camber to the rear to make it less inclined to come around on you.

Your handling is ultimately limited by the amount of front grip that you can generate. After that, you balance the rear to match the available amount of front grip that you have. So just adding a rear bar will help give you a more balanced and livelier car. Adding both front and rear bars will also upgrade the ultimate level of handling the car will possess.

I would try the rear bar first. It is cheap and easy to install yourself or at the shop. Then tweak the alignment after that if necessary, and see if you still want the front bar for improving the car's handling at the track. If you don't go to the track, not so sure the front bar is actually needed.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating such an upgrade.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On my 2014 Cayman S w/ PASM I've installed an adjustable GT3 front sway bar w/ drop links, an X73 rear sway bar and the 718 rear brace. When on the track in the stiff PASM mode (i.e. Sport Plus) the car now is more planted and predictable. They are all Porsche parts so the fit was right on. Had to drill a couple of holes in the rear aluminum panel to secure the 718 rear brace to the chassis.

I've got the most negative camber I could get w/o making any other changes (approx -1.5 deg). Tire wear is negligible with this camber when driven on the street.

·
Registered
710 Posts
These are the part numbers for the 718 brace right off my receipt. Can't beat Porsche OEM parts. They always fit.

#1 of 982-505-475 (transverse strut)
#2 of 981-333-777-00 (bearing clamp)
#4 of 900-378-159-01 ( hex-head bolt 8x60)

Hope this helps anyone contemplating this upgrade.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.