Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2014 Cayman started to make a strange noise which appears to be coming from the drivers side dashboard or just under it. Car makes no noise while at idle turning the steering wheel. Noise is present while the car is moving, does not matter if AC is on or off. Nothing appears to be loose. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue.

https://youtu.be/jnh4NoGYcyw

·
Registered
437 Posts
weird kinda sounds scratchy to me in the video

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It almost sounds like the noise a power steering pump makes when it gets air in the system on a conventional car. But I am able to turn the wheel end to end at idle and it makes no noise at all.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Maybe a stone stuck somewhere in caliper area and grinding against disk or plate? Some have reported that before.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a very similar sound which was noticeable whilst braking. I thought it was coming from the brake master cylinder which is directly behind the steering column on RHD cars. It did turn out to be a sticky pad which was removed and re-set under warranty. That cured it for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled the drivers side front wheel. Removed the caliper. Could not find anything. Had to re-use the bolts because I didn't have a second set on hand. At least by wheel and caliper are clean now!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If I were you, I'd check ALL calipers, especially the rears, but no need to remove them man. Just remove the wheels one at a time, and with a flashlight, check the calipers thoroughly. The front ones are very unlikely to get anything stuck, since they're at the rear of the rotating wheels (pebbles at the bottom fall off, and at the top, kicked out by the rotors). The rear ones, however, are at the front, so pebbles can get stuck on top of them. And that's exactly what happened to me once. The screeching on my car was deafening, but I thought it was the left rear, and ended up being the right rear. In my case, even aggressive backing up didn't dislodge it; just diminished the screeching so I could get to my house. Now that you'll have all wheels off, take the opportunity to rotate the wheel to make sure a pad is not stuck, and that wheels are rotating freely. You could take it to a dealer if one is nearby, but might get charged. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually just pulled all wheels, nothing found. Gave me a chance to clean and wax them though. The sound is definitely coming from something in the dash board because now it will do it with the car at idle at a standstill. Not as obvious though. Sounds like a plastic on plastic rub / squeak. I have looked under the dashboard several times but have no clue what to look for. Everything seems in place and snug. I popped the end thing off the dashboard by the drivers door and don't see anything loose in there but that is where the sound is coming from. I am just ready to give up.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I am just ready to give up.
No need;). I think I know exactly what your problem is... after your more detailed explanation. Your fuel tank is rubbing against the dash, causing a squeaking sound (recording is not clear). It's a well known problem with 2014s, and some early 2015s. Unfortunately, it's not an easy fix, requiring removing a lot of crap from underneath, and installing better isolators. But the good news is it's covered under warranty. You could search for the TSB number, but at this stage, it'd be really strange if your dealer wasn't aware of that issue. Call them, and if they don't know, then search for that thread and print the TSB, to avoid wasting time while they search everywhere for it. It typically happens with the tank full or nearly full, when the weight is greatest. And by 1/2 tank or so, it usually goes away. So take it in with a full tank of gas, for easy replication. Hope this helps buddy. And sorry for the bad news. But at least I had an answer. He he. Take care.

EDIT: Hey man, found this thread for you, in case you don't want your car partially dismantled by your dealer;): http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...queaking-easy-fix-found.html?highlight=squeak
Seems like the guy was successful with the fix. I'd contact him asking for his photos, so you know exactly what you need to do. Didn't have time to read all related threads to find the actual TSB, but you can do that if needed. I'd definitely attempt that fix before going to a dealer, but it's up to you. Good luck again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks for the info ! I will definitely look into this. Sounds like a mess to deal with! I will search and look for the easiest fix. That makes sense because I just filled the tank up and now its doing it with the car not even moving. It will actually do it with the engine off if I just open the door......

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
That makes sense because I just filled the tank up and now its doing it with the car not even moving.
Confirmed you have that issue then. Click on the link I posted for an 'easy fix', and contact the OP to see what exactly he needed to do/remove to fix it. Hope you're also up to it (tools, time, etc); sounds like it's relatively easy to fix. It's only a matter of stuffing something between tank and chassis. This, of course, requires the opposite of taking the car in: an almost empty tank, so you don't have to fight the (not insubstantial) weight of the fuel. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for your help. I just watched another video that had the same exact noise and it was the gas tank. Will reach out to the OP and see if he can offer assistance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, Gas Tank squeaking against front firewall. Had mine done about 1.5 months ago when it was in for oil service. They have changed the replacement pad/part and now it is PITA including dropping front subframe to fix. [Long story, will not post, dealer tech was surprised to at the additional work required by the new solution part] Definitely not a DIY.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
They have changed the replacement pad/part and now it is PITA including dropping front subframe to fix. Definitely not a DIY.
Yeah, not DIY if you want to do it the dealer way;). Only if you want to try the alternative method linked on post #10, which is what I'd have tried before that other invasive fix.

Actually took it in this AM. Have loaner. They said they have dealt with many of them.
Glad to hear your car is not the first. And that they gave you no grief. Hope they don't incorporate any new noises, or mess up anything. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They said they don't have to fully drop the tank, just unloosen it and drop it 1/4 of the way to slide the pads up. They are also changing out my headlights because they have delaminated slightly around the black edging.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.