Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post here on Planet-9 but long time lurker. Little background, I've owned a 964 C4 Targa but otherwise have mostly been a BMW guy. I sold my E92 M3 last summer and I'm now looking to get into my first modern Porsche. I was considering a new M2 Competition, but ever since I drove an F430 I've longed for the mid-engine handling characteristics.
I understand that the 981 Cayman S was essentially the same from 2014 to 2016, but were there any life cycle changes that would make a newer one more desirable? Slight changes to the lights or something like that? I know in E92 world there were a few changes that would not really be noted by anyone except enthusiasts, but there were still changes to taillights, software, etc. I'm guessing with such a short production run there is nothing too major on the Cayman S, but everything I come across simply explains that the GTS was offered in 2015 and the GT4 was introduced in 2016.
Naturally I'd like to get the newest one possible, but I've got my eye on a 2014 6 speed. No warranty (obviously), so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

JD

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a 2014CS, and I haven’t heard of anything that changed in the base specs I cared about. The options on a particular car will impact more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Yeah, options are my main requirements. Seems like most I've found with SC, PSE and 6 speed just happen to be 2014's. Of course, just finding a 6 speed is hard enough.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
981.1s were essentially unchanged from MY 2013 through 2016, with the GTS and GT4/Spyder variants arriving at the end of the run. The 2013s still had Platinum Silver as a color option, which was replaced by Rhodium Silver in 2014.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
981.1s were essentially unchanged from MY 2013 through 2016, with the GTS and GT4/Spyder variants arriving at the end of the run. The 2013s still had Platinum Silver as a color option, which was replaced by Rhodium Silver in 2014.
Perfect, thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think before 2015, you couldn't play music from your phone over the Bluetooth connection with the Bose audio. With my 2015 CS you can. I'm not aware of any other differences.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Finding one in good shape with documented service history should be goal #1. Finding one with a manual will be a little harder. What do you plan to use the car for; weekends, daily driver, track days, autocross? What options are important to you?

I searched for about 8 months to find one with the options and color combination I wanted. Dropping the manual transmission from my search allowed me to find my car. I deliberated long and hard on that decision, but after driving several cars with PDK I found it to be a very acceptable second transmission choice. After having owned the car for several years there have only been a few times that I have missed the 3rd pedal. Going to manual mode with the PDK is not the same as the "dance" with a real clutch and gearshifter, nor as gratifying as pulling off a perfect sequence through a set of turns, but it is foolproof and much safer if you aren't a professional driver that never misses a shift. I'm fairly proficient with a manual, but there is no way I can shift as quickly or as error free as the PDK. And when I'm really concentraiting on my lines and braking points I don't miss the 3rd pedal at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think before 2015, you couldn't play music from your phone over the Bluetooth connection with the Bose audio. With my 2015 CS you can. I'm not aware of any other differences.
My 2014 can stream music over Bluetooth. I think the requirement to do this is having the PCM 3.1 head unit that has built-in nav. I never use the built-in nav, but the Bluetooth is very handy, of course.

When I was shopping, my research found nothing in the cars themselves to warrant going for a 15 or 16, other than less mileage and more time left on the factory warranty. Of course, there is the possibility that later versions have more "fixes" from the factory that earlier models don't. That said, wasn't the 981 Cayman released in Europe for 2013, making 2014 the 2nd year of production?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My 2014 can stream music over Bluetooth. I think the requirement to do this is having the PCM 3.1 head unit that has built-in nav. I never use the built-in nav, but the Bluetooth is very handy, of course.

When I was shopping, my research found nothing in the cars themselves to warrant going for a 15 or 16, other than less mileage and more time left on the factory warranty. Of course, there is the possibility that later versions have more "fixes" from the factory that earlier models don't. That said, wasn't the 981 Cayman released in Europe for 2013, making 2014 the 2nd year of production?
Same here. I have BT streaming on my 2014 CS with PCM and Nav option. Porsche options every little thing that any cheap, econbox model sold in the last 8-10 years already had as standard, so it can be difficult to understand what you are really going to get in a used model without prior knowledge of the brand or a VIN lookup or build sheet.

I'm not sure about Europe, but the Boxster was the first 981 variant in the US as a 2013 MY. The first 981 Caymans were released as 2014 MY cars. Mine is a first release 2014 model purchased in August 2013. Build date was April 2013 if I recall correctly but still sold and titled as a 2014

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make sure you run the vin through vinanalytics.com when searching these cars.

Bookmark that site it is invaluable when searching for your next Porsche....You will find the real value of the cars doing this. You'll find cars that look alike but are $10-20k different in actual MSRP due to options.

I have a 2014 CS and you can also stream music via Bluetooth...any 14-16 can as long as it had the Bose Infotainment pckg. Highly recommend finding one with that option....wasn't on my list of must haves, but so glad it came with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Base system without navigation cannot stream wirelessly but CDR+ system without nav can. That’s what I have. Any car with nav can also stream wirelessly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
In North America, they sold
3137 S models in 2014MY
987 S models in 2015MY
576 S models in 2016MY

I bought a 2014 CS 3 weeks ago with only 17k miles.

As I stated in my PM, I collected a lot of data, one reason was to determine how many cars that meet my requirements actually exist. For example
2014 MY, w/PASM and PDK. 1.3% of Base models have PASM and PDK, whereas 9.4% of S models have PASM and PDK.

If you want the 18 way seats: 0.5% of 2014 BASE have PASM and 18 way, 2.4% of S models have that combination. I really wanted the 18 way seats, but there just aren't that many out there. My car has PASM, SC and 14 way seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for the input folks. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 2014 Cayman S. Manual, sport chrono, PSE, 14 way sport seats, Bose, carmine red, 25 k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Nice what color interior ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
2013 manuals with sports chrono did not have rev matching. That started in 2014.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It took me several months to find my 2014 Cayman S, Guards Red with black interior, standard transmission. I live in CA and had to fly to a dealer in Oregon to purchase my slightly used car. A standard transmission was a "must have" for me and though my car didn't come with the PSE it did have the factory-installed PTV and I am constantly amazed that it seems impossible to break my car from the road. I also chose to install the IPD competition plenum and throttle body plus the EVOMS chip tune. It is possible that my car has gone from the stock 325hp to approximately 380hp.

·
Registered
15 Posts

My 2014 boxster s doesn't have PCM 3.1 but to play music from my phone the workaround was a $10 bluetooth receiver plugged in the glovebox. Works perfectly, but just don't get the readout on the console.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts