Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I'm new to the porsche scene but recently started to take interest in some 981 and 718 for possible purchase.

I have some questions about buying CPO vehicles.

This 2015 porsche 981 GTS with pdk and 20km on it is currently listed as CAD $86900 (US $66343).

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en_CA/Cayman-GTS-12467

The original purchase price of the car was CAD $93645 (US $71492), which means in 3 years the car has ONLY depreciated by about 9.2%. Some sites like KBB stated that cars like this usually depreciates by about 30% within 3 years. Is there a reason why this is not the case for this car? Is it because 2015 981 is the last flat 6 for cayman and that is still holding up its value?

The build sheet is attached below.

In general is this a fair price?

Thx !

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
The flat 6 is available thru model year 2016 - 2017 is the first year for the 718, 4 cyl turbo. The GTS's i've looked at here in the states are in the $70k-$75k range so your price doesn't seem out of line to me. Altho the depreciation you've noted does seem low...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Be careful comparing US and Canadian prices. New Porsches in Canada have been and remain a relative "bargain" compared to US cars when the exchange is factored in. The table shows the current prices of Cayman's (no options) from the respective configurators. The middle column is the Canadian price expressed in USD using today's exchange rate (1.315).

[TR]
[TD]

[/TD]
[TD] Can (C$)

[/TD]
[TD] Can (USD)
[/TD]
[TD] US (USD)

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Base
[/TD]
[TD] $64950
[/TD]
[TD] $49392
[/TD]
[TD] $57950

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] S
[/TD]
[TD] $79850
[/TD]
[TD] $60722
[/TD]
[TD] $70350
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] GTS
[/TD]
[TD] $93850
[/TD]
[TD] $71369
[/TD]
[TD] $81750

[/TD]
[/TR]

The other issue (depreciation) is a funny one. What you are seeing is unfortunately typical. I look at CPO prices fairly often (in case I ever lose my 981) and the prices are consistently high. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the # of cylinders. I suspect that the relatively few numbers of available cars at any time encourages dealers to ask high prices. I am not sure how much the dealers will move on used, but 4 to 8 % seems to be the common discount for new cars. Considering that and the time of the year, I would think that $80K would get this car. I would offer $75 and see if they respond.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Subtract $3k USD for the CPO warranty to get a better depreciation number.

I bought my 2012-production 2013 BS with CPO as it was my first Porsche. In almost three years, I have not been able to use the warranty once! No issues at all, it's never been back to the dealer (I do my own maintenance and use an independent to reset the service indicator).

I understand the CPO route but this 2015 is well-sorted. You may want to look at private sales as well for price comparisons.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be careful comparing US and Canadian prices. New Porsches in Canada have been and remain a relative "bargain" compared to US cars when the exchange is factored in. The table shows the current prices of Cayman's (no options) from the respective configurators. The middle column is the Canadian price expressed in USD using today's exchange rate (1.315).
I'm actively looking for a S or GTS. So can i buy one in Canada and bring it back to the States, saving some money in the process?

Sorry for the hijack, OP....

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I'm actively looking for a S or GTS. So can i buy one in Canada and bring it back to the States, saving some money in the process?

Sorry for the hijack, OP....
Importing cars is not a straightforward process. I would very carefully check the requirements before considering it. The car has to meet all US specifications, emissions requirements and safety features. While most would be no problem, there may be slight differences and being a Porsche, there such thing as inexpensive modifications. For example, you would be getting a car with the speeo and odometer in kilometres, not miles. How much is a new speedo/odo? My guess is at least a thousand.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
The original purchase price of the car was CAD $93645 (US $71492), which means in 3 years the car has ONLY depreciated by about 9.2%. Some sites like KBB stated that cars like this usually depreciates by about 30% within 3 years !
List price means nothing on resale. Generally, no one pays full list to buy and the options don't add up to anything on resale. Go to black book lite, and plug in the numbers. See what they say for that car for retail sales.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It all boils down to supply and demand, so as others have said I don't think you can compare Canada depreciation to US. Two years ago I bought a 3 year old 2014 981 CS with only 3400 miles on the clock and CPO to 1/2019. I bought it for 31% below it's original sticker of $93K US. So yea 30% is typical for a 3 year old 981 with multi options. But the is here in US. Good Luck and bargain, no one pays asking!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
FYI, I looked it up in the Black Book. Average asking price listed at $69,575. Doesn't mean a dealer will sell it at that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Importing cars is not a straightforward process. I would very carefully check the requirements before considering it. The car has to meet all US specifications, emissions requirements and safety features. While most would be no problem, there may be slight differences and being a Porsche, there such thing as inexpensive modifications. For example, you would be getting a car with the speeo and odometer in kilometres, not miles. How much is a new speedo/odo? My guess is at least a thousand.
The digital readouts: speed, odo, temps etc, can be displayed in either metric (KM/H, Kilometers, Celcius) or MPH / Miles and Farenheit. The analog speedo, which I never look at, (do any of us?) would remain in KM/H

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The digital readouts: speed, odo, temps etc, can be displayed in either metric (KM/H, Kilometers, Celcius) or MPH / Miles and Farenheit. The analog speedo, which I never look at, (do any of us?) would remain in KM/H
Are you sure about that? I can change the units for consumption, pressure and temperature but not for speed or the odometer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you sure about that? I can change the units for consumption, pressure and temperature but not for speed or the odometer.
Ooops, I think you're right. I checked the other day and found I was only able to change what you said. Didn't check the owners manual or search for sub menus (if they even exist). I made the assumption based upon previous US cars I had seen imported to Canada that could be switched to display KM/H, Kms and Celcius. Looks like it doesn't go both ways!. My apologies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 204273 View attachment 204273 Living in Vancouver I do this when driving to the US, I have a 2015 Boxster GTS, from the owners manual page 110:

Setting speedometer units: Vehicle, setting, units, speedometer, km/h or mph.

As for the price issue it's very difficult in Canada since there are so few CPO Cayman/Boxster GTS on the Porsche website. Just need to keep browsing and see if you are comfortable with the price and options. The referenced vehicle is very lightly optioned.

Ooops, I think you're right. I checked the other day and found I was only able to change what you said. Didn't check the owners manual or search for sub menus (if they even exist). I made the assumption based upon previous US cars I had seen imported to Canada that could be switched to display KM/H, Kms and Celcius. Looks like it doesn't go both ways!. My apologies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts