Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if you have faced this before but my car has been with the dealership for more days than the weekends I have driven it.

It all started with a "parking brake fault" that hasn't gone away yet.

So far what dealership has done:
1. Changed the control unit - brought car back home fault came back
2. then they recalibrated the brakes - drove it out of the dealership fault came back
3. they found a loose wire - drove it home fault came back
4... car still with the dealership for more than a week - no news

Car is stock, no drifts or tracks days whatsoever.

Any ideas appreciated

thanks
106447643_10112744200676581_3214345272297645048_o.jpg

·
Registered
506 Posts
No additional ideas, but I had those faults too back in 2013 on my 981, at least 2 times, with the brake being recalibrated both times. Has not returned since 2013 after 60k miles. Surprised you keep getting those errors at this point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No additional ideas, but I had those faults too back in 2013 on my 981, at least 2 times, with the brake being recalibrated both times. Has not returned since 2013 after 60k miles. Surprised you keep getting those errors at this point.
thanks, this is reassuring, at least to know they can be fixed :)

my car bought as CPO is at 55K right now, hopefully with this last visit to dealership, I can say goodbye to this issue :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll keep everyone updated about what fixed it eventually, just in case

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
674 Posts
The 981 parking brake adjustment is tricky. I had a calibration failure and it took 3 techs and 4 days to fix the issue. They ended up replacing the controller and all of the actuators to finally get it to recalibrate properly.

Reactions: vibhubithar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 981 parking brake adjustment is tricky. I had a calibration failure and it took 3 techs and 4 days to fix the issue. They ended up replacing the controller and all of the actuators to finally get it to recalibrate properly.
thanks, sounds like it is tricky, mine has been shuttling in and out of the dealership for months now

few questions linger in my mind:
  1. Why this even happens? i don't have any aftermarket rotors etc. no track days .. just on its own
  2. was yours a recent issue? what mileage
  3. what dealership fixed it? if possible I'll ask my dealership to contact those techs

·
Registered
339 Posts
Why this even happens? Because Porsche abandon the good Ol' mechanical parking brake that didn't need replacement and works perfect except maybe in high salt locations and even then it was fine. I would suggest getting a hold of the local representative who calls on these dealerships on behalf of Porsche. Send a fact only letter and documentation, there is also an 800 number on the web for Porsche North America, a friendly call to them is free too.

·
Registered
674 Posts
thanks, sounds like it is tricky, mine has been shuttling in and out of the dealership for months now

few questions linger in my mind:
  1. Why this even happens? i don't have any aftermarket rotors etc. no track days .. just on its own
  2. was yours a recent issue? what mileage
  3. what dealership fixed it? if possible I'll ask my dealership to contact those techs
Mine broke because I made the mistake of putting the parking brake in service mode when I changed out my rear brake rotors. After that it the parking brake would not recalibrate. Lesson learned - never put the parking brake in service mode. It's not necessary for changing the rotors and has some really bad side-effects.

Luckily this was while the car was still under warranty. It had about 36K miles at the time.

The dealership was Porsche Plano (DFW area). Oct 13, 2017. Service Advisor Tim Shaffer. Invoice 45206.

The tech notes indicated intermittent comm loss with the parking brake control unit as well as calibration failure due to blocking of actuators. They replaced the parking brake control unit, both electric actuator motors, and removed and re-installed spreaders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why this even happens? Because Porsche abandon the good Ol' mechanical parking brake that didn't need replacement and works perfect except maybe in high salt locations and even then it was fine. I would suggest getting a hold of the local representative who calls on these dealerships on behalf of Porsche. Send a fact only letter and documentation, there is also an 800 number on the web for Porsche North America, a friendly call to them is free too.
Porshe of Fremont, CA are nice folks, and well-reputed. I think they are trying their best, last chance before it escalates to PNA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine broke because I made the mistake of putting the parking brake in service mode when I changed out my rear brake rotors. After that it the parking brake would not recalibrate. Lesson learned - never put the parking brake in service mode. It's not necessary for changing the rotors and has some really bad side-effects.

Luckily this was while the car was still under warranty. It had about 36K miles at the time.

The dealership was Porsche Plano (DFW area). Oct 13, 2017. Service Advisor Tim Shaffer. Invoice 45206.

The tech notes indicated intermittent comm loss with the parking brake control unit as well as calibration failure due to blocking of actuators. They replaced the parking brake control unit, both electric actuator motors, and removed and re-installed spreaders.
awesome information will pass it along

very interesting, I never changed the rotors so then who touched it . hmmm

·
Registered
674 Posts
awesome information will pass it along

very interesting, I never changed the rotors so then who touched it . hmmm
You may not be experiencing the same issue I had, or at least your entry into this calibration hell may have not been the same path as mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if you have faced this before but my car has been with the dealership for more days than the weekends I have driven it.

It all started with a "parking brake fault" that hasn't gone away yet.

So far what dealership has done:
1. Changed the control unit - brought car back home fault came back
2. then they recalibrated the brakes - drove it out of the dealership fault came back
3. they found a loose wire - drove it home fault came back
4... car still with the dealership for more than a week - no news

Car is stock, no drifts or tracks days whatsoever.

Any ideas appreciated

thanks
View attachment 272535

1 - 13 of 13 Posts