Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I found my "dream car"...and it's going up for auction soon.
PDK, Beautiful dark blue metallic. Not sure of the other options.

Car appears to have had a collision under a truck's backside...2 quarter panels and hood needed, as well as a new windshield. All of the damage was "high"...so suspension likely in-tact.

I did find a used front clip for $12,000....but the car's trade-in value is only $35k. Given the fact this is salvage title deal, the car would be really only worth 60% of the $35k or valued at $21k all-fixed-up.

So given at least $8,000 in body shop labor to replace the two quarter panels, the hood, the radiator and condensor, as well as the windshield... and then include the $12k in parts, this car should be bid at.....$0k.
In other words, it's worth nothing....except for it's parts.

Am I wrong on this ? I would love to resurrect this beauty....but not if I'm going to lose money on it.
Comments ?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Unless you are an enthusiast who owns a body shop, I can't see how you can make this work from a financial perspective. I have a friend who bought a car with a salvaged title, but his intent was to own the car for a very long time. So the value of the car was irrelevant to him.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Once again I found my "dream car"...and it's going up for auction soon.
PDK, Beautiful dark blue metallic. Not sure of the other options.

Car appears to have had a collision under a truck's backside...2 quarter panels and hood needed, as well as a new windshield. All of the damage was "high"...so suspension likely in-tact.

I did find a used front clip for $12,000....but the car's trade-in value is only $35k. Given the fact this is salvage title deal, the car would be really only worth 60% of the $35k or valued at $21k all-fixed-up.

So given at least $8,000 in body shop labor to replace the two quarter panels, the hood, the radiator and condensor, as well as the windshield... and then include the $12k in parts, this car should be bid at.....$0k.
In other words, it's worth nothing....except for it's parts.

Am I wrong on this ? I would love to resurrect this beauty....but not if I'm going to lose money on it.
Comments ?
Walk away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly my intent....to make sure my daughter's enjoy it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walk away.
Why ? It looks to be going for about $5000-$8000....so $20k in parts and labor make it worthwhile IMHO.
Heck, it retailed for $58k.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys.....the auction is tomorrow.....but that doesn't mean anything.
CoParts FREQUENTLY rejects highest bidders on the exotics.
One car went thru 4 TIMES before they let it go.
I think that will apply to this car as well....

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The most common reason for totalling cars nowadays are the AIRBAGS. They're super expensive, and most shady shops don't put them back, instead making you sign a waiver 'in case they're not installed', like if they didn't know. If you want the car for your daughter(s), better fix it right, and it'd be A LOT more than you think. Any smart person would just walk away from such a car. It was totalled for a reason. The only way you could MAYBE be a hair ahead is if you owned a body shop. Otherwise, not worth it. The only scenario I'd consider it is if you wanted to both convert it as a race car, and keep it for a long time. Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The most common reason for totalling cars nowadays are the AIRBAGS. They're super expensive, and most shady shops don't put them back, instead making you sign a waiver 'in case they're not installed'
Yes, the driver's side bag was "gone"...I was figuring on $1500 for a replacement. Was I off by much ?
The huge issue would be : Without an airbag, would a code be thrown or a light turned-on ?

The car went off at auction today with a starting bid of $8400....but I don't know where it ended.
CoPart keeps that a "secret".....I REALLY HATE THAT !
I will know by Friday if it sold or not.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
On your photo, looks like both driver and passenger heads hit the windshield, but hopefully there wasn't a passenger, or you'd be dealing with a new dash, and another door panel and seat ( (where the curtain and side airbags deploy from). You'd still need the driver's door panel and seat cover (which never look like factory again). Oh, and new seat belt(s), with the pyrotechnic device (seatbelt tensioner). And yes, if you don't have those things in order, a dash light will be present... although I'm sure used car dealers already found a shady way to keep it off. But an OBDII reader (or dealer's computer) would reveal the truth. Just find a better car man;). More times than not, any perceived savings end up kicking you in the a$$. If you can't really afford a good 981, wait until you can. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Unless you are an enthusiast who owns a body shop, I can't see how you can make this work from a financial perspective. I have a friend who bought a car with a salvaged title, but his intent was to own the car for a very long time. So the value of the car was irrelevant to him.
I agree, you either have to have a body shop, personally know the owner of a body shop or be real handy with the tools and a spray gun to keep this from becoming a money pit, this will never be an easy car to sell...

With any reasonable amount of damage most people will walk away from a used car and look for one that is accident free

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
893 Posts
Just my opinion..., but RUN...from this car. This has "money pit" written all over it.
Resurrecting a 4-year-old thread for this comment?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.