Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I've been a long-time watcher of this forum but never decided to join due to not actually owning a Porsche, until very soon. I've decided to go for either a new Porsche Boxster GTS (PDK, some other nice options) or a new 2015/6 Porsche Boxster Spyder (some options).

My biggest issue is the transmission - it is manual. I cannot drive manual and I dont want to. I do want the Carrera S 3.8L engine and I do want the Spyder styling of the car. I can handle the manual roof (although that is another negative for me, I'd rather electric, but I can handle it). It is just the transmission I'm really urked about.

Now my question may sound stupid and I do apologise for that - this is my first time to Porsche and will be my first sports car - is it possible to order the Spyder and have Porsche install the PDK transmission? I know it is not available from the factory, but Im willing to pay for it to be done after it arrives.

I know it will require a new transmission, new wiring and probably some other bits and pieces - but can it be done? If so, does anyone have a ballpark figure (Australian dollars if possible!)?

Again I apologise if my question is random or has come out of the blue but I need to make a decision soon to place my order. I either go GTS (nice looking car) but if I could get around that manual transmission in the Spyder, I'd prefer that (better looking, the engine I want, better resale, more powerful by a decent measure).

Any response would be very helpful :)

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Welcome

Anything can be done if you have the money but IF you could find a shop who could do it, I suspect it would be extremely expensive. The PDK alone is between $14 - $18K USD. Add labor, and the nightmare for them to get it all right and warranted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chows4us

Thank you for the quick reply :)

Oh my that much for a PDK? Plus labor I see it would be better buying a 991.2!

Ok...I thought about this; it is possible to:
- Install some kind of aftermarket workaround which allows the transmission to work as an auto, without major work being done? I seem to remember some aftermarket add-on that converts manual transmissions to paddle-shifters, but that is it.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place: Order the GTS or Spyder.

I tested the GTS and felt that a 3.8L Carrera S engine would make it perfect. Then I saw the Spyder news and it had a 3.8L Carrera S engine - but no PDK or auto roof.

My last option was to not buy either car and wait until they (hopefully) release a Spyder with PDK. If that is possible. Probably not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There was a rumor about a PDK GT4. If it does happen, then a PDK spyder would be a possibility

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a rumor about a PDK GT4. If it does happen, then a PDK spyder would be a possibility

As I've just found out there existed a 987.2 which did actually come with PDK! :D

Great news for me. If there isn't a large time frame between the 981 and 981.2 Spyder (maximum a year), then I will wait and get it in the hope it has PDK. That would solve basically everything for my partner and I. My hopes are at an all-time high!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is there some physical limitation stopping you from driving a manual? Don't need any details. I just have to believe there's something to this besides just preference.

Depending on how big a hurry you're in, it sounds like the best options are to either wait a couple years to see if they make one, or buy a 991. Or... really... reconsider the GTS. That extra 45 hp in the Spyder will be nice, but it won't transform it from some lackluster slowmobile into the perfect roadster. You'll like the roof better and it's still a phenomenal car.

I'm sure you've already tossed out the idea of trying to convert a Spyder. If you haven't, which means you're some sort of lunatic, then just consider how that money could be spent instead bringing up the power of a GTS to well above what the Spyder comes with.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just out of curiosity, is there some physical limitation stopping you from driving a manual? Don't need any details. I just have to believe there's something to this besides just preference.

Depending on how big a hurry you're in, it sounds like the best options are to either wait a couple years to see if they make one, or buy a 991. Or... really... reconsider the GTS. That extra 45 hp in the Spyder will be nice, but it won't transform it from some lackluster slowmobile into the perfect roadster. You'll like the roof better and it's still a phenomenal car.

I'm sure you've already tossed out the idea of trying to convert a Spyder. If you haven't, which means you're some sort of lunatic, then just consider how that money could be spent instead bringing up the power of a GTS to well above what the Spyder comes with.
I cant drive manual well, neither can my partner, and we've tested PDK - we want a PDK car for daily use. :)

Did they offer PDK straight away with the 987 Spyder, or did it take a few months to come out for the car? I've read that apparently a Porsche spokesperson mentioned that they'd never add it to the car because it is 'against' the design of the car (or something along those lines) - yet they added it to the previous car. So, not sure if they did a 180 or if it is just marketing.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well... barring some physical limitation... you should just learn to drive it. I don't mean that in a snarky way, either. These cars are some of the very best drivers cars on the market. If you're interested in them, then presumably you're interested in performance driving and not just cruising around. If you weren't, then you'd be fine with a base model or S/GTS and the extra power of the Spyder wouldn't be so important to you.

With that in mind, you'd be doing yourself a huge favour as an enthusiast in learning to drive a manual. You may later decide you still prefer a PDK, but to discount it simply because you don't know how to work it and consider spending huge amounts of money simply to avoid learning seems wrong to me.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Being that I have been looking for a GT3 PDK, there are two prices for normal 981 transmissions: New and rebuilt.New part numbers end with numbers, the rebuilt parts end in a letter and and X (eg, EX).

A new 981 PDK discounted price is in the $16-17K range. A rebuilt 981 PDK can be had for $7K plus core fee of about $6K or a total of $13K. LSD does not alter the costs much.

Besides trim, there are wiring harness differences and you will need a PDK TCU which is an additional $2K.

Best bet, buy a low mileage salvage 981 and get all the parts from it. Cheaper that way, but no warrantly. May be able to sell the engine, PCM radio, etc and make some of the cost up.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I guess I would either learn to drive a manual if you really want the car, or get something that is available with a PDK. Like others have said, by the time you're done with parts and labor, you might as well have purchased a 991 GT3 or something.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I understand your dilemma. Honestly, if you want a PDK, then wait for the 981 Spyder to come out with it. It will certainly arrive, but whether it's a year, or two years, no one here knows.
I don't believe you have to drive a manual Porsche to fully appreciate the wonders the cars can offer. If this were true then 90% of all those currently buying Porsches (and for the last couple of years) have never experienced their cars fully. And this is clearly rubbish. PDK was introduced in 2009 and since then has taken over sales to the point where 9 of every 10 Porsches are sold with PDK. Before then everyone who had a Porsche either drove a manual, or the Tiptronic, which was a nice automatic transmission, but that's what it was. People who drive manual Porsches may be more passionate, and more outspoken, but they certainly don't have a monopoly on enjoying the performance of Porsche cars (and some would say that a PDK equipped Porsche has more performance than one with a manual tranny.)
If you don't want a 97.2 Spyder with PDK, and can't wait for a 981.2 Spyder with PDK, then your options are with a 991.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Did they offer PDK straight away with the 987 Spyder, or did it take a few months to come out for the car? I've read that apparently a Porsche spokesperson mentioned that they'd never add it to the car because it is 'against' the design of the car (or something along those lines) - yet they added it to the previous car. So, not sure if they did a 180 or if it is just marketing.
On this - yes, 987.2 Boxster Spyder was offered with PDK from the start.
At the time, PDK had just been released, so they offered it on all models including Spyder.

Why they removed PDK from 981 Spyder? Probably because they are now selling the GTS model, which fills that "up scale" performance slot.
So the Spyder and GT4 are considered more pure drivers cars and marketed as such. Hence no PDK.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I don't believe you have to drive a manual Porsche to fully appreciate the wonders the cars can offer.
Don't get me wrong. This isn't what I was saying above. I'm not turning this into a whole PDK vs. Manual discussion. I'm saying that it's not worth 10's of thousands of dollars simply to avoid trying to learn to drive a manual. That seems ludicrous to me.

That's like hiring a personal assistant to read to you because you don't know how to read and think it would be quite a bother to learn. You may later decide that you don't much like reading... but you'll end up better off for having learned to do it and will have saved yourself a lot of money in the process.

Reactions: da90

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
You guys aren't listening. The OP wants a Boxster with a 3.8 and PDK. Porsche doesn't currently offer such a car, but the aftermarket does (BGB, for one example.) So far, the aftermarket is the only option that meets the OP's desires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I guess I would either learn to drive a manual if you really want the car, or get something that is available with a PDK. Like others have said, by the time you're done with parts and labor, you might as well have purchased a 991 GT3 or something.
^That.
I don't even think it's possible to install PDK on MT car. There is so much electronics and programming involved that you'll have to hire your own R&D team. Remember how long it takes people to figure out how to simply bring the engine in 981(which is almoust the same) to 991 performance numbers?

If bigger engine is what you are after - BGB offer 911 engine upgrade for somewhat reasonable money.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

A PDK Spyder with an automatic soft top - this is genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSchwerer

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys!

I appreciate everyone's fantastic replies and opinions - I have read everything but I'm not sure how to reply personally thank you to everyone, so I'll just do a big thank you here :)

I'm not sure I want to wait to see if a PDK Spyder comes out in the next year or so. I spoke to the dealer, of course he said he doubts it, as a facelift Boxster is due at the end of 2016 and a PDK Spyder in the current body is unlikely. He believes Porsche will just release a new Spyder on a new body in the next 5 or so years as the GTS and Spyder are very similar performance.

Having said that I placed a $5,000 deposit for a new 2016 plate Boxster GTS in white with a few extra options (reversing camera, turbo wheels, communication package, BOSE, PDK). I forget what the GTS comes with as standard but the dealer told me there is a good deal of standard equipment on the GTS. It is due for delivery in June 2016; they will start the build around January 2016. I've very excited by this as it is the first Porsche (actually, the first new car even) that I've ever driven or owned. The help of this forum definitely assisted me with my decision making - GTS or Spyder.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
GTS is a fantastic car and i'm sure you'll forget about Spyder the moment you get in. The manual roof antiques can get boring fast :)

Hi guys!

I appreciate everyone's fantastic replies and opinions - I have read everything but I'm not sure how to reply personally thank you to everyone, so I'll just do a big thank you here :)

I'm not sure I want to wait to see if a PDK Spyder comes out in the next year or so. I spoke to the dealer, of course he said he doubts it, as a facelift Boxster is due at the end of 2016 and a PDK Spyder in the current body is unlikely. He believes Porsche will just release a new Spyder on a new body in the next 5 or so years as the GTS and Spyder are very similar performance.

Having said that I placed a $5,000 deposit for a new 2016 plate Boxster GTS in white with a few extra options (reversing camera, turbo wheels, communication package, BOSE, PDK). I forget what the GTS comes with as standard but the dealer told me there is a good deal of standard equipment on the GTS. It is due for delivery in June 2016; they will start the build around January 2016. I've very excited by this as it is the first Porsche (actually, the first new car even) that I've ever driven or owned. The help of this forum definitely assisted me with my decision making - GTS or Spyder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts