Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger on the money gun and will accept delivery of my new 2015 Cayman S (configured with PDK, PASM and Sport Chrono) in Leipzig in late May.

We are looking forward to our track time at Leipzig, because two days later I plan to drive the Nurburgring (weather permitting). That will be followed with a F1 track day at Spa in Belgium. I couldn't pass up the chance for that bucket list item!

I know I am pressing the break in period for the Cayman on the track day. I plan to hit a minimum of 500 miles on the brakes before either Spa (or Nurburgring) by doing some extensive varied driving between Leipzig and Nurburgring over the 2 days prior. I might hit 750 miles prior to Spa but will not see the "3000km/2000 miles" break in on the odometer.

It's been difficult to find some real guidance on the pros and cons of selecting Sport Plus on the track day at Spa. At a minimum I think I will have to paddle short-shift manually (not use PDK) if I select Sport plus.

Comments or other ideas?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congrats on the new Cayman S, amazing to be able to take your car out on some really great driving arenas that will highlight the beauty of the PDK transmission. I took it easy on mine for the first 500ish miles, to both familiarize myself with the car since this was my first Dual Clutch and assuage my fear about redlining a brand new car from the get go. After that 500 miles...there isn't a time I haven't bounced off the rev limiter during a drive...and I do not have one issue with this car since I've owned it. I would say you should have no worries about getting right into the engine as soon as you feel comfortable with the car...Sport, sport plus...just do it...you won't break it or doom it to years of unreliability. Have fun on your trip and make some memories.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Drove mine at Nurburgring with 600 km on the car. Short shifted at 6000 rpm and had no problems. Of course, I only have 2500 miles on it now, so it is still early. Oil level has not changed since day 1.
BTW in Nurburgring, I recommend staying at the Longhorn Saloon.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Have fun, be safe, and don't over think it...if the car is in sports plus you will likely hit the rev limiter. Make a decision now if that's ok for you. Don't worry on the track or you will ruin the experience.

If it were me--especially a bucket list item--I would enjoy your new track focused car on some of the best tracks in the world with no worry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
No lugging the engine, and make sure the oil temp is at least 190F b4 you push it. Some people forget these Porsche factory guidelines, but they apply for as long as u own it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts