Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had occasion to drive a Cayman and a Boxster loaner. Though larger and more luxurious, I did not like the Cayman as much as I like my 2011 Cayman but I like the boxster more. Don't know why. It isn't the soft top but rather the way it drives. Both are similarly equipped.The Boxster is better planted. Any thoughts as to why?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Did the Boxster have x73 suspension? I drove both with PASM and they felt like exactly the same car expect one has the option to open the roof, which makes it more fun to drive. :) Logically the Cayman should feel more rigid b/c of the fix roof but I didn't push it like a maniac on public roads to feel that rigidity. I also drove the Cayman R on the track and it feel better than the 981.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Did the Boxster have x73 suspension? I drove both with PASM and they felt like exactly the same car expect one has the option to open the roof, which makes it more fun to drive. :) Logically the Cayman should feel more rigid b/c of the fix roof but I didn't push it like a maniac on public roads to feel that rigidity. I also drove the Cayman R on the track and it feel better than the 981.
I drove both CGTS and BGTS one after the other at the Porsche Roadshow event. Other than the obvious top differences, I could not really tell anything different otherwise. Maybe on the hairy edge of track driving you can. For many (not all) Drivers, I think that there may be a placebo effect going on when comparing the cars. I had already ordered my BGTS (only because I wanted the convertible), so I left the show swearing that the Boxster drove better. I think the same thing happens with many Cayman owners thinking the increase in rigidity/stiffness is very very noticeable under regular driving demands on the car (the non hairy edge of the track). I always believed that 99% of owners really chose the Cayman vs Boxster because they want a convertible or they don't and not any other technical benefits that either design may have. But before the bashing starts, I did not say for all drivers.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Most reviews say that the Cayman is stiffer and stiffer should make a car handle better. I don't track my cars so I doubt that I could tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
. . . . .The Boxster is better planted. Any thoughts as to why?
Lately, in Colorado, it's often because the Driver is probably "potted." :)

Reactions: Ynot

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love my 981 CS, and it's been fast (for me) from the get-go. But I have a friend who's putting a 3.8 in a 2012 Boxter Spyder (he expects 450 hp, all said and done)…..
I may be crying after I drive that!!!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
For me the dilemma comes from the fact that I like the roof line of the Cayman a lot and that extra space inside the hatchback above the engine is very handy. I don't much care for the roofline of the Boxster when the top is up but when the top is down that Boxster looks fantastic. The Boxster has the lower price of course, and that can turn into adding an option or two. But I also notice that the difference in price seems to be less with the 2015 line.

My wife loves the Cayman and it has a certain visual cache. I like the idea of the open top roadster that a Boxster allows. And both the 981 models look fantastic.

Tough call to make. I agree that the difference in performance should be marginal on regular street driving.

Dealing with the original post, what about tires? Did both cars have the same tires?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Maybe the Boxster has a lower center of gravity because of a lighter roof.

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I prefer the Cayman (hard top) and really like my 2011. The 2015 loner that I drove may have had a different suspension than the 2015 Boxster. I dunno. I was surprised at how differently the two cars which appear to be similarly equipped handle and was struck by the fact that the Boxster is also quieter.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
562 Posts
After owning both, have a Boxster GTS on order ... my first car was a convertible and my wife enjoys top down driving.

·
Registered
785 Posts
[HR][/HR]
I prefer the Cayman (hard top) and really like my 2011. The 2015 loner that I drove may have had a different suspension than the 2015 Boxster. I dunno. I was surprised at how differently the two cars which appear to be similarly equipped handle and was struck by the fact that the Boxster is also quieter.

Thanks for all the comments.
The Cayman hard top encapsulates the engine whereas the Boxer soft top does not, top up or down.
The result is a drone in the Cayman I find unlivable in normal driving whereas the Boxster with the top up is as quiet as any other coupe.-****

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The Boxster chassis by comparison is more compliant (aka a bit less stiff) than the Cayman. That may be what is being sensed. Both are stiffer than the previous 987s. I am very aware of that having had an 08CS and a CR. Interestingly...........I test drove both a 981 Boxster and 981 Cayman before making my choice for the Cayman and it was that very additional stiffness that I liked. As I have said in many other threads.............it fits my specification and my specification is not necessarily for everyone.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Maybe the Boxster has a lower center of gravity because of a lighter roof.
I would think the Boxster from the top of the door up would be heavier then the piece of steel on the Cayman. The top has the folding frame, canvas, motor drives, and the two roll over hoops in back of the seats. The only thing that might throw off that equation is the rear window glass for the Cayman.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
. . . then the piece of steel on the Cayman. . . . . .
If we are talking 981's, that piece is now aluminum. The change is said to have cost the new Cayman crowd, the roof rack hard point mounts that are on the 987 cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Maybe someone on the list can dig up good data on c. g. and weight differences. I was just speculating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The hard facts are this: Torsional stiffness of the body shell for 981 Cayman: 40,500 Nm/deg, 981 Boxster is 17,000 Nm/deg. Both of these are incredible (for coupe/convertible respectively). The full benefit of the higher torsional rigidity of the Cayman can be experienced only on the track (imho) with a stiff suspension set-up and low profile tires.

However, so many factors are trumping these values of torsional stiffness in how a car "feels". If I change my tire pressure by 3 psi in my 2014 Cayman with X73 it can be two different cars.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The hard facts are this: Torsional stiffness of the body shell for 981 Cayman: 40,500 Nm/deg, 981 Boxster is 17,000 Nm/deg. Both of these are incredible (for coupe/convertible respectively). The full benefit of the higher torsional rigidity of the Cayman can be experienced only on the track (imho) with a stiff suspension set-up and low profile tires.

However, so many factors are trumping these values of torsional stiffness in how a car "feels". If I change my tire pressure by 3 psi in my 2014 Cayman with X73 it can be two different cars.
Great data! How did you find them? Any info about c.g.? Tx

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great data! How did you find them? Any info about c.g.? Tx
I wrote them down from memory. The Cayman torsional stiffness is mentioned in Drives 2014 Porsche Cayman S - Test Review 2014 Porsche Cayman S - Road & Track but I can't find my reference for the Boxster anymore. Most articles mention that the 981 Cayman has about 2.5 times the torsional stiffness than the 981 Boxster, so the 17,000 Nm/deg vs. 40,500 Nm/deg is in the ballpark.

Sorry, I don't have any data on CG, except that of course with x73 suspension it will be 20mm lower! ;-)

Cheers,

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Registered
89 Posts
if it wasn't for the soft top i would've went with the BGTS (prefer hard top), wind and road noises are noticeably louder in the boxster. thats why i went with the CGTS regardless the power increase and stiffness..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts