Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have asked this question before, I want to present it again in a slightly different manner. First to digress, I've owned my CGTS for a few months and I am really enjoying it. With much assistance from the Planet 9 members, most of my questions and concerns have been answered. The only real complaint I have is with the "Drown" sound from the exhaust when on the highway when in 7th gear (PDK) in the 2,000-2,800 RPM range. It doesn't really matter if I'm in comfort or sport mode. Interesting enough, it seems to be louder after the car has been driven for at least 8-10 miles. When I posted this question before, there wasn't any real answer except one member wrote that this drone sound should disappear around the 15,000 mile range. My question is if I can change or modify the exhaust system to alleviate this sound without investing in an exhaust system that is loud to begin with. Also, has anyone addressed this problem with a Porsche dealership mechanic? If so, did they offer any remedies? Thank you again for your knowledge and expertise! I truly appreciate it!

·
Registered
751 Posts
AFAIK, you can't permanently get rid of the drone, unless you change the exhaust. Keep the revs higher is the only way to get rid of the drone.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For highway cruising I've just been running in "normal" mode, much quieter. For mindless miles being piled on, that's fine by me, and a push of a button changes anytime I want.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I think the drone is standard on PSE cars, and may be a little more pronounced on the CGTS. IT seems worst in 7th gear (PDK) since the car is doing 75mph at 2000 rpm (!)
Seems to be about the same whether in normal or sport mode.
Like others, my solution is to keep the revs up higher.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I hear slight drone with my 6MT Cayman R and PSE when I had it. That is why my subsequent 2014 and now 2016 come with standard exhaust. My 2016 2.7L with standard exhaust and OEM twin outlet tips has a very nice exhaust note even inside with no drone. It is about the best combination I have had in Caymans (on my 4th).

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
Hello drfootman,
May I suggest you consider replacing the TT exhaust tip with a DREAM2 to reduce the drone. The DREAM2 will lower the 'pitch/frequency' for a more mellow sound. Please visit our website for additional information: </title> <meta content="none" name="Microsoft Theme" /> </head> <script language="JavaScript"> </script><script language="JavaScript"> </script><script language="JavaScript"> </script><script language="JavaScript"> </script><script src="http://www.go
I have a hard time believing that switching from the stock 'T' to a 'Y' exhaust tip is going to do anything to reduce drone. I have never owned a Dream1/2, but I've owned many different exhausts on both 987 and 981. One of the big reasons behind the T design is to create opposing flow to minimize drone. Anything from a Y to separate tips is likely to make drone worse. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello Mr Brown,
I believe the DREAMs reduce drone due to reducing the turbulance created by the T or TT design.
The DREAMs tend to slightly lower the pitch for a more mellow sound. It is not dynamic but sufficient to be noticed and enjoyed.
Perhaps some of our DREAM customers will comment on the difference in sound.
Jim
B C Velocity Exhaust

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's a design flaw that I noticed on my first test drive of the new 981 Cayman offered to PCA members,
Apparently Porsche can not be bothered to fix it as it is still present on later Cayman Models.
It does not exist on my 2013 981B.
My 918B is coupe quiet with the top and windows up for very pleasant highway driving but when pressed the engine screams above 4000 rpm.
Good enough for me and no Cayman for me.-Richard

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Not to hijack this thread........my 2016 Cayman 2.7L has the PZeros. My 2014 Cayman 2.7L had the Goodyear Eagles. My 2016 for whatever reason is MUCH quieter inside than my 2014 was even when I put on brand new Eagle rears. I was surprised based on all the comments I had read about PZeros. I can clearly hear my exhaust (very pleasant by the way) and my sound system is more listenable....curious.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not to hijack this thread........my 2016 Cayman 2.7L has the PZeros. My 2014 Cayman 2.7L had the Goodyear Eagles. My 2016 for whatever reason is MUCH quieter inside than my 2014 was even when I put on brand new Eagle rears. I was surprised based on all the comments I had read about PZeros. I can clearly hear my exhaust (very pleasant by the way) and my sound system is more listenable....curious.
I hasten to add that my hearing is not all that good to start with, and that my car is an MT. While I can't swear that mine absolutely doesn't drone, I can swear that tires are loud as heck at highway speed. Mine is a 2015. Maybe there is a difference in the tire run. At any rate, I am happy for you that yours aren't noisy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those that want to eliminate most of the drone on your 981, I figured out a way. The rear lower trunk carpet needs to be removed in order to do the job. The aluminum lower center trunk panel (over The EXHAUST) needs Dynamat or another sound dampening material installed over it. It was not that hard removing all the panels to get to the lower trunk panel. I been told by many the drone was coming through the fire wall behind the seat. After further research the thin aluminum trunk panel that is above our exhaust is the problem. I wonder if Porsche designed it this way to allow more exhaust noise into the cabin. This is a very thin tinny aluminum panel that sounds like a hollow drum when tapping on it. The carpet has a very thick foam backing that helps reduce some of the cabin noises. The solution is to stop that panel from reverberating.

After I added the sound dampening material, I was not happy with the reduced interior exhaust sound. I could not hear the pops of my PSE on down shifts they were reduced to much unless my windows were down. My Cayman S is not my daily driver so I decided to remove the sound dampening material after 3 hours of testing. (It was a bitch to remove so once its installed reversing it will not be easy). I took a few pictures for some reason I don't know how to load them on to the site:(. Remember this doesn't change the exhaust note outside of the car just what you can hear from inside the cabin. My thoughts is that the rear thin trunk panel allows the exhaust sound to reverberate which gives you that booming cabin noise.

The exhaust will sound more distant after the install. Remember this is only affecting what you hear inside the cabin and will NOT change the exhaust note from outside the car. This mod defiantly reduces the DB in the cabin. I did not measure how much since my goal was to reverse it since I thought it was to quite for my taste and time was the essence to remove the sound D material. I hope this helps some that are more sensitive to exhaust noises.

·
Registered
360 Posts
For those that want to eliminate most of the drone on your 981, I figured out a way. The rear lower trunk carpet needs to be removed in order to do the job. The aluminum lower center trunk panel (over The EXHAUST) needs Dynamat or another sound dampening material installed over it. It was not that hard removing all the panels to get to the lower trunk panel. I been told by many the drone was coming through the fire wall behind the seat. After further research the thin aluminum trunk panel that is above our exhaust is the problem. I wonder if Porsche designed it this way to allow more exhaust noise into the cabin. This is a very thin tinny aluminum panel that sounds like a hollow drum when tapping on it. The carpet has a very thick foam backing that helps reduce some of the cabin noises. The solution is to stop that panel from reverberating.

After I added the sound dampening material, I was not happy with the reduced interior exhaust sound. I could not hear the pops of my PSE on down shifts they were reduced to much unless my windows were down. My Cayman S is not my daily driver so I decided to remove the sound dampening material after 3 hours of testing. (It was a bitch to remove so once its installed reversing it will not be easy). I took a few pictures for some reason I don't know how to load them on to the site:(. Remember this doesn't change the exhaust note outside of the car just what you can hear from inside the cabin. My thoughts is that the rear thin trunk panel allows the exhaust sound to reverberate which gives you that booming cabin noise.

The exhaust will sound more distant after the install. Remember this is only affecting what you hear inside the cabin and will NOT change the exhaust note from outside the car. This mod defiantly reduces the DB in the cabin. I did not measure how much since my goal was to reverse it since I thought it was to quite for my taste and time was the essence to remove the sound D material. I hope this helps some that are more sensitive to exhaust noises.
Which would explain why Cayman owners hear it and Boxster owners don't (or as much).

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
PSE produces a rather unpleasant booming sound between 2000-3000 rpm when accelerating. Especially noticeable with the top up in my Boxster S. The only solution I discovered is to keep the revs above 3000-3500 rpms at all times. Moreover, it helps alleviate the 3000 rpm stumble which is also very noticeable at part throttle. Easy to do with the manual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts