Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 7 speed manual model with 25k miles at around $97k...besides checking for overrevs, anything else I should worry about?

Dealer won't budge much below $94k, unsure if $89k is realistic or are these GTS manuals with a 3.8 NA that rare/desired.

Thanks in advance for help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm looking at a 7 speed manual model with 25k miles at around $97k...besides checking for overrevs, anything else I should worry about?

Dealer won't budge much below $94k, unsure if $89k is realistic or are these GTS manuals with a 3.8 NA that rare/desired.

Generally these are very reliable cars with few issues. A few things I'd look into:

-In that price range I'd get a full PPI by a knowledgeable shop.
-Run a Carfax report. they're not perfect but worth checking.
-Warranty start date/ any original warranty remaining? (4years from in-service date) Is it CPO?, if not and it's with a Porsche dealer consider negotiating CPO.
-Check service records and the maintenance schedule to ensure up to date. From memory, through 4 years it's just oil changes, brake flush and cabin filters. I think drive belt, plugs and engine air filter come up at 6 years, but I'd check to be sure.
-Does it have Centerlock wheels? Check that the socket is in the holder in the frunk as well as the tire goop, compressor, etc. If not familiar with the CLs and you plan to remove wheels yourself, you'll need a big torque wrench (or multiplier) Optimol paste and a strong back.

Best of luck, hope you can make a good deal.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Porsche.com search currently lists 11 2015 Carrera GTSs. All CPO, $95K to $105K, only 1 manual. $94K with CPO sounds about right (with options you want).

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I believe the GTS has a 3.4 l engine. For that price you can find a GT4.
Correct, a GTS comes with a 3.4l from the factory, the only 981's that came with the 3.8l are the GT4 and Spyder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Step #1 Do research

Step #2 Strike like a cobra
Yeah I'm really bummed. And not many left near by that I like.

There are some 2018 Carrera Ts with rear steering and sport Chrono that are pricing around $100k now too, but clearly a 3.0 L TC engine is a little different than the NA 3.8.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts

There are some 2018 Carrera Ts with rear steering and sport Chrono that are pricing around $100k now too, but clearly a 3.0 L TC engine is a little different than the NA 3.8.

I had a 997.2 GTS with the 3.8 and a manual gearbox, and it was a great combination. Once I had driven a 991.2 I quickly realized that having torque down low transforms how one drives a 911 on the street. Whereas a NA GTS need to get wound past 4000 rpm to feel (and be) quick, even a base 991.2 makes oodles of torque at 2000 rpm. A T with a 7 speed is a different animal than a .1 GTS, but it would be a very competent and engaging ride.

·
Registered
234 Posts

If you haven't driven the T, give it a go. You might find the combination of Torque and a Warranty very appealing. I'm currently working on shedding 100 lbs. on my T which I feel is its sole slight miss from what I wanted it to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you haven't driven the T, give it a go. You might find the combination of Torque and a Warranty very appealing. I'm currently working on shedding 100 lbs. on my T which I feel is its sole slight miss from what I wanted it to be.
Rear seats are worth 100lb (is that what u am seeing in the pic?)

The wider rear track and rear steering make it super appealing since I wanted an occasional HPDE car.

My current RS3 is loads of fun on track but nose heavy, so a 911 on track may be more fun (or challenging).

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Rear seats are worth 100lb (is that what u am seeing in the pic?)

The wider rear track and rear steering make it super appealing since I wanted an occasional HPDE car.

My current RS3 is loads of fun on track but nose heavy, so a 911 on track may be more fun (or challenging).

You can get a T with carbon sport buckets, which includes rear seat delete.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you wanna play you gotta pay. 911 GTS isn't easy to find and that car probably retailed over $130K, so not sure how you thought $89K would get it done, the good cars sometimes don't even get listed...sold as soon as traded in...you need good connections at a few local dealers who can let you know when a car you might be interested in arrives.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you wanna play you gotta pay. 911 GTS isn't easy to find and that car probably retailed over $130K, so not sure how you thought $89K would get it done, the good cars sometimes don't even get listed...sold as soon as traded in...you need good connections at a few local dealers who can let you know when a car you might be interested in arrives.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Actually sold for $92 so I wasn't far off...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts