1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I ain't buying some cheap *** Asian sedan just because it did better in the quarter mile than a base Cayman. In my daily driving, there are few straight line quarter mile drags. Let's try the two in the twisties. And besides, the WRX is just another ugly mini sedan compared to my gorgeous Cayman S. I ain't even going to bother to watch a video of that because I don't want one of them thar ugly sedans.
Have I made my points?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I looked at subs way back and they weren't for me. That said, for their segment they're good cars and good performers.

More generally speaking, there's lots of cars cheaper and more expensive than my 981BS that can outperform it in a straight line.

And I could have purchased one of 'em.

But didn't.

32000 km later: Still no regrets.

Not feeling any need to slag on any of the candidates because I still love my little grey go-kart.

Not much else to say other than good on subaru.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Agreed that straight line drag racing is not why any of us bought a 981 of any sort. That said, with the "sport" mode on, unless you're on the track, it's really hard for me to understand why anyone would find acceleration (at least in a "S" or higher) to be wanting.

As many have said here on P-9, there's a point where increased acceleration capability (assuming we're only talking about public streets) is a pretty much useless excess (unless, of course, you're fool enough to take the 20-year-olds' challenge when they pull up next to you at a red light revving their hot Camero, C7, etc.).

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ain't buying some cheap *** Asian sedan just because it did better in the quarter mile than a base Cayman. In my daily driving, there are few straight line quarter mile drags. Let's try the two in the twisties. And besides, the WRX is just another ugly mini sedan compared to my gorgeous Cayman S. I ain't even going to bother to watch a video of that because I don't want one of them thar ugly sedans.
Have I made my points?
Your point makes you sound like an ignorant *******

Subaru are great cars for that price point. It's silly comparing it to a Porsche. But I would hardly call it a cheap *** Asian sedan.

That's like some ignorant Ferrari owner calling the Porsche Cayman GT4 an entry level Porsche if it were to beat a Ferrari on the Nurburgring.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Two examples of "maybe not best to share everything in one's head" and one of "responding instead of reacting" -- if I may be so bold. I agree with the sentiments of the last post but not necessarily how it was expressed. Look at me, I just may grow up yet. :hilarious:

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
unless, of course, you're fool enough to take the 20-year-olds' challenge when the pull up next to you at a red light

Especially if you aren't driving a Turbo S or GT2. For most kids having a car that excels on circuits doesn't excite them. Straight line acceleration is what matters, and they spend lots of money making their car accelerate as fast as possible.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That sort of post about a car reflects badly on the forum.
the racist tones of "Asian", the elitist "cheap ***" comment

so he did only attack a car, but did it in a terrible way. And it's calling him out on how he did it.
I think that's important as a forum.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
OK. I will apologise for the Asian adjective. But it goes without saying, there is no Asian car with the sports car heritage of a Cayman or Boxster. That is not what they build, and there is little reverence as sports cars for those over here. I have bought my wife two RX350's, and altho they are flawless machines never requiring anything but routine maintenance, they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to the driving experience. Her next SUV will be a Macan Turbo or a Cayenne S, Turbo or GTS. Nothing made in Asia compared with any of these Porsches. I had an 09 Cayenne GTS, and the RX is just an appliance to get u there. My wife totally agrees. So my comment stands in our house. Those cars are cheap and straight line performance might make them seem like contenders, but they are trivial pretenders overall, compared to the driving experiences u get in a Cayman or a Macan or one of the high end Cayennes. Even a 6 cyl Cayenne is more exciting than anything I can buy from there. Even the base Boxster/Cayman is more exciting than anything u can buy from there. So tell me - what am I missing?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Reactions: PCA1983

·
Registered
324 Posts
It was how you presented your thoughts.

you aimed for cheap shots rather than saying "different styles of car, for different market segments"
ok that sounded boring, but that is the bottom line.

As for no Asian sports cars, I think you are ignoring a number of cool Toyotas, Nissans and Mazdas.
from a humble GT86 thru to a LFA, with Rx7, z240 and others.
there might not be any "sports car only" companies, but that is no longer Porsche these days!

to swap it around, would you be happy if someone described the cayman as an "overpriced VW that is slow"?
its probably about as accurate a description as yours was of the Subaru.

·
Registered
299 Posts
PCA1983 attacked a car. You and I (and others) may disagree with his assessment. But you attacked him. We try to keep it civil around here. 'Just sayin' . . .
Words and text can be taken out of context, especially on the Internet. I found his post filled with elitism and racial undertones. Perhaps I could have worded my post differently and I'm sure he could have done the same.

Do you know why some people have a certain preconcieved notion about people who drive Porsches? It's exactly the type of attitude he was displaying. I am very humble that I own a Porsche, I never feel like I am better than anyone else. I also have the ability to respect other cars on the market, especially since what was being compared was completely apples and oranges.

No need to call the car cheap *** Asian sedan, I found the entire statement to be offensive as an Asian even if he never intended the post to be. That would imply anyone who buys a Subaru to be basically a cheap ***. What if I once drove a Subaru? What does that make me?

See where I'm going with this? So while I could have stated my thoughts in a manner that didn't attack him personally, I feel no remorse about it either. And that's me being civil about the situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts