Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a white 2016 Cayman Base that came with boring 19'' silver Cayman S wheels. I'm looking to switch them out for 19'' matte black wheels. Rear wheels are 19x11 which is a little aggressive on a base Cayman but I'm fine with them sticking out just a little bit. Can anyone verify if an ET52 offset will work for my car? According to the site the ET40 is "Aggressive enthusiast fitment. Fender rolling and slightly stretched tires may be required depending on suspension configuration", which is NOT what I'm looking for. The site says that the ET52 offset does fit the my Cayman but I don't want to end up ordering wheels that are overly aggressive.

Here's the link to what I'm looking at: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-avant-garde-parts/19-ruger-mesh-staggered-set-of-four/rmsh-kt3kt1/

Any advice would be helpful!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Reactions: _leanana

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
OP,

Nice wheels you are looking to buy. I used https://www.wheel-size.com/size/porsche/cayman/2016/ to check your wheels and compare the specs, and it seem they should work nicely for your car. Regarding the "old boring" or "hideous" wheels, I personally like them. I have the same setup and while they do not look aggressive, they look some what classic. Just my personal opinion. Good luck with the new wheels, and don't go with 20"s, I have heard the ride on that size is hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP,

Nice wheels you are looking to buy. I used https://www.wheel-size.com/size/porsche/cayman/2016/ to check your wheels and compare the specs, and it seem they should work nicely for your car. Regarding the "old boring" or "hideous" wheels, I personally like them. I have the same setup and while they do not look aggressive, they look some what classic. Just my personal opinion. Good luck with the new wheels, and don't go with 20"s, I have heard the ride on that size is hard.

Thank you so much for checking for me! I will likely buy these today or tomorrow once I figure out where to ship them to. My words were too harsh; the style just doesn't match my personality and I've pushed off getting new wheels for over a year! I'm ready for change ASAP haha :)

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Yes the style of those new wheels will be a huge improvement over most boring wheels you have now.

Are you sure you need the wider wheels though? I think 11 will need fender rolling. And sticking out wheel will f-up your paint on the sides.

Wheel dynamics 808 style sells exactly that design, flat black too, but in stock sizes. That's what I have on my car. Take out the center cap and you won't be able to tell the difference:

and fresh pic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the style of those new wheels will be a huge improvement over most boring wheels you have now.

Are you sure you need the wider wheels though? I think 11 will need fender rolling. And sticking out wheel will f-up your paint on the sides.

Wheel dynamics 808 style sells exactly that design, flat black too, but in stock sizes. That's what I have on my car. Take out the center cap and you won't be able to tell the difference:

and fresh pic

Wow, very beautiful car!

I'm getting a 30% discount through a friend from a site that only stocks 19x11 for the rear wheels. I'm waiting to hear back from the site if they can get a 19x10 in stock for me before my discount expires.

Maybe a dumb question, but how do the wide tires mess up my paint on the sides? Is it just because it kicks up more stuff from the road? Does it make any difference if my car is completely clear wrapped?

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Wow, very beautiful car!

I'm getting a 30% discount through a friend from a site that only stocks 19x11 for the rear wheels. I'm waiting to hear back from the site if they can get a 19x10 in stock for me before my discount expires.

Maybe a dumb question, but how do the wide tires mess up my paint on the sides? Is it just because it kicks up more stuff from the road? Does it make any difference if my car is completely clear wrapped?
Check out the tire prices. Wider tires might eat up that $400 discount real fast.

Yes, wheel is a centrifugal mechanism that throws the stuff perpendicular to the tire surface. So if the fender is not there to cover the exact width of contact patch and catch particles - they'll fly away and some of it will touch the sides of the car, right? Kind of like constant abrasive sanding. Difficult to tell how much it'll f-up the paint exactly, but small stuff is always there on the road, so it will sand your car to some degree. Just like the road rush on the front bumper, from the particles thrown from the cars ahead. Clear wrap is a big help with road rush. But again, who knows how much help in this case.

Also, when getting wheels - weight is a serious variable. Wider wheels usually = heavier wheels (+ heavier tires). And sometime even same with wheels can differ significantly in weight based on many things. I personally always strive for as light wheels as possible provided design is acceptable. Lighter wheels = better handling, better acceleration and better turning! Just one more thing to consider when looking at seemingly same design wheels :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out the tire prices. Wider tires might eat up that $400 discount real fast.

Yes, wheel is a centrifugal mechanism that throws the stuff perpendicular to the tire surface. So if the fender is not there to cover the exact width of contact patch and catch particles - they'll fly away and some of it will touch the sides of the car, right? Kind of like constant abrasive sanding. Difficult to tell how much it'll f-up the paint exactly, but small stuff is always there on the road, so it will sand your car to some degree. Just like the road rush on the front bumper, from the particles thrown from the cars ahead. Clear wrap is a big help with road rush. But again, who knows how much help in this case.

Also, when getting wheels - weight is a serious variable. Wider wheels usually = heavier wheels (+ heavier tires). And sometime even same with wheels can differ significantly in weight based on many things. I personally always strive for as light wheels as possible provided design is acceptable. Lighter wheels = better handling, better acceleration and better turning! Just one more thing to consider when looking at seemingly same design wheels :)

Thanks T-deisgn, that was really helpful! So I just heard back from the supplier and they were able to add a 19x10 rear to stock for me. Does that eliminate all my worries about the wheels being too wide?

Can anyone confirm that the specs will fit my 2016 Cayman Base? I'm mainly worried about the rear offset ET40. I've never bought wheels before so I really appreciate all this input!

Text Font Green Line Number

·
Registered
703 Posts
19x10 ET40 is OE spec for the rear, but the front spec is 19x8.5 ET52 instead of 45 which is ~7mm closer to the spring/shock. Shouldn't be a significant difference. YMMV

Did you note the wheels need conical bolts instead of spherical?

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
I think 19x10 is stock size? Not sure about offsets off the top of my head. You need to find stock sizes here somewhere. Tirerack shows offset 40 as fitting for rear. But better check.

And as kmnaneh pointed out - our wheels have different bolts than all other brands. They will not work with generic wheels not designed specifically for Porsche. So need to check that too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone! I just got off the phone with the wheel manufacturer since I know what questions to ask now. Looks like the size/offsets and everything will work for my Cayman and they confirms the bolts are conical. I'm placing my order now! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think 19x10 is stock size? Not sure about offsets off the top of my head. You need to find stock sizes here somewhere. Tirerack shows offset 40 as fitting for rear. But better check.

And as kmnaneh pointed out - our wheels have different bolts than all other brands. They will not work with generic wheels not designed specifically for Porsche. So need to check that too!
Can you elaborate on the bolts a bit?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wheel bolts typically have 1 of 3 shapes. Flat(rare), conical (often aftermarket wheels), and hemisphere (Porsche, other German),etc. The wheel and bolt must have the same profile to secure properly. Kind of a square peg, round hole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
A picture to show some examples, with this is easy to see why you need to get this right... I just bought some of these for my stock wheels: http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-and-wheels/187505-titanium-wheel-bolts-2.html#post1746242

Interesting, thanks for the info! Is that only for stock wheels? I have aftermarkets on but have used the same lugs on both my aftermarkets and my stock wheels. Thanks for your info BTW!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is possible for aftermarket wheels to have hemispherical holes, and therefore match the stock ones. You would have to look at the bolts and holes to know for sure. Using mismatched profiles is a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.