Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One or the other, but not both. Order locks next week.

I've owned a lot of Porsche manuals, none with SC, know how to heal and toe as well as the next guy, but that SC display and automatic throttle blip is very interesting.

No plans for auto crossing or tracking at this point. The so called "Dynamic Transmission Mounts" which are said to
reduce the transfer of vibration from the drive train under normal driving and allow for improved stability under load transfer and during high-speed cornering maneuvers.....might buy me as much as Torque vectoring.

What say the experts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not an expert. Same as you, been heel/toeing for 50 years. Always modded my cars for track use so pedal overlap was optimized. Drove a 6mt with SC and was hooked with auto rev matching......you can always turn it off and try to beat the computer, but would be difficult for me without some serious pedal mods.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I vote PTV, only because for me personally, perfectly executing a rev-matched downshift everytime is part of the fun of driving a manual sportscar. If you don't plan on tracking it, you probably won't care too much for the dynamic trans mounts or the SC display.

But is it just between those two options? If not, I vote neither and to spend that money on PSE or PASM if you haven't already, or something else that you'd notice more during day-to-day driving.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But is it just between those two options? If not, I vote neither and to spend that money on PSE or PASM if you haven't already, or something else that you'd notice more during day-to-day driving.
Thanks....neither would work, too.

I have PASM checked, and had PSE on my 991. Don't want it again, because when it's on my probability for getting in trouble increases exponentially. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My vote is for PTV if you can blip the throttle while braking. Mine has neither. I don't miss the SC, but can easily spin the inside rear tire around corners in the low gears on the street. It would be handy for street use. For track use you would surely want PTV.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I went with SC and 6mt and am very happy I did. The DTMs with better throttle response are great after each up shift. As my DD the car feels more agile with SC on than in regular mode. Bonus is auto rev match, as I admit I am below average in my heel\toe :drivingskid:

Not an expert. Same as you, been heel/toeing for 50 years. Always modded my cars for track use so pedal overlap was optimized. Drove a 6mt with SC and was hooked with auto rev matching......you can always turn it off and try to beat the computer, but would be difficult for me without some serious pedal mods.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I looked into getting a manual. Made it more appealing knowing you get rev matching in Sports Plus mode...meaning you must have SC. So if it were me, I'd be getting SC if I were to get a manual...but some people would never use this feature...making it not the case for them.

PTV is neat too, though less useful in my mind than rev matching (cheap mode for manual).

Bottom line is its personal preference.

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
I had both on my 981 CS and if I could pick only one for the street it would be PTV. IMO you won't notice sport chrono much on the street. The auto-blip is nice for the track but more fun to do it yourself on the street. I think the limited slip diff has value in wet conditions or when driving aggressively on street.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I have PASM checked, and had PSE on my 991. Don't want it again
SC. First thought rev matching was a gimmick, then realized it was much better than any human. You also get the cool MFD display (you need to check) with the color coding to see when you need to upshift. No time to read a gauge. yellow/red much much better.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
SC is the best choice for most.

I have both in my manual Cayman S. I am pretty sure if I did not order PTV I would not miss it. I only know the car with PTV but honestly I would skip it. You will get much more enjoyment out of the the SP+ button and rev matching.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
One or the other, but not both. Order locks next week.

I've owned a lot of Porsche manuals, none with SC, know how to heal and toe as well as the next guy, but that SC display and automatic throttle blip is very interesting.

No plans for auto crossing or tracking at this point. The so called "Dynamic Transmission Mounts" which are said to
reduce the transfer of vibration from the drive train under normal driving and allow for improved stability under load transfer and during high-speed cornering maneuvers.....might buy me as much as Torque vectoring.

What say the experts?
I would check all three boxes, wait a minute I did! PTV, SC and PASM, ordered on the last 2 cars... :)

Reactions: Spectre

·
Registered
349 Posts
What is the choice included PDCC? What will then be the choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
Personally, I skipped both but if I had to choose one of them it would be PTV.

I skipped both because -- since I'm not tracking or auto-x'ing the car -- neither provided much I needed. There are threads discussing the benefits (or lack thereof) of SC and there are many who think it very beneficial for the track but not so much on the street. While it provides increased throttle response, that provides something you can easily accomplish simply by pushing the pedal harder and faster. Yes, it has throttle-blipping, but is that worth the price? Not to me.

I personally can do without PTV, although I like limited slip diffs and had them on many previous cars that were tracked. I find it is something that isn't that important on a street car. I also very much dislike the computer braking one wheel on the turns, but I'm old school that way. I prefer a driving experience that is not computer enhanced. Part of the joy of driving for me is exploring the mechanical limits and imperfections of the car and learning to overcome them. And that applies to both SC and PTV....

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I were you, I'd pass on both PTV and SC.

PTV is useless unless you are going to aggressively track the car. And even then, I'm not sure it does anything. I have it on my BGTS and I'd be lying if I said I could feel any difference in how it drives on the track or anywhere else. I previously had a base 981 w/o PTV.

SC is more a gimmick, IMO, than a real feature. The rev matching works perfectly but it only matches in "sport plus" mode. Not in sport or normal mode. This substantially reduces the value of the feature for those who want the rev match but who aren't tracking the car. The throttle response is SP mode is too aggressive and "jumpy" for normal driving, IMO.

The hydraulic engine mounts are hydraulic bullsh$t unless you are driving very aggressively -- like 9/10th or more.

The gee-force measurement is kinda cool for bragging rights if you are tracking the car and thus driving at the limit, but for daily driving is useless.

The track timer is totally useless.

As mentioned above, I'd pass on both these options and get PSE instead. The standard exhaust sounds divine but PSE sounds satanic.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
SC. I use it every day, both for the rev matching and better throttle response. Plus the g-meter and enhanced exhaust note. It makes PSE that much better.
You can add LSD later. SC not so much.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
If I were you, I'd pass on both PTV and SC.

PTV is useless unless you are going to aggressively track the car. And even then, I'm not sure it does anything. I have it on my BGTS and I'd be lying if I said I could feel any difference in how it drives on the track or anywhere else. I previously had a base 981 w/o PTV.

SC is more a gimmick, IMO, than a real feature. The rev matching works perfectly but it only matches in "sport plus" mode. Not in sport or normal mode. This substantially reduces the value of the feature for those who want the rev match but who aren't tracking the car. The throttle response is SP mode is too aggressive and "jumpy" for normal driving, IMO.

The hydraulic engine mounts are hydraulic bullsh$t unless you are driving very aggressively -- like 9/10th or more.

The gee-force measurement is kinda cool for bragging rights if you are tracking the car and thus driving at the limit, but for daily driving is useless.

The track timer is totally useless.

As mentioned above, I'd pass on both these options and get PSE instead. The standard exhaust sounds divine but PSE sounds satanic.

Good luck!
I disagree about PTV, just because 'you' can't feel it, it doesn't mean it is not working! Also this is not just for the track but anytime the road surface cannot hold the tires traction requirements, this means summer tires in cold weather or when the surface is compromised with sand, water or anything else that reduces traction. So not only is this a performance (track) feature it is a safety feature as well! :burnout:

SC might be harder to justify, but just for the 'cool factor' it has to be a box that gets checked as well!

Can't argue about PSE, although this will be my first Porsche with it, from what I have 'heard' it is a must have as well!

PS. yes I just had to end every reply above with as well! :hilarious:

Just keeping it light hearted Panda Dragon.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I disagree about PTV, just because 'you' can't feel it, it doesn't mean it is not working! ...SC might be harder to justify, .
Its easily justifiable.

I do agree that the concept of normal, sport, and sport +, at least for a MT is a gimmick. My 987 had none of this. Porsche sports cars should ALWAYS be in sport + mode. There should be one mode only. Start the car, and put it in sport + as default. I see ZERO reason for "normal" or sport. I am sure part of the reason for "normal" mode to obtain minimal carbon emissions in the EU carbon testing cycle.

OK, testing done. Now drive like Dr. Porsche intended for his cars to be driven. "normal and sport?" Meh. Seriously, I can't even remember driving my car NOT in sport +. Besides the color coded graphics in the MFD for the rev counter alone is worth the price of entry :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
A limited slip differential is always on the top of my list of what options I would get. I hate it when some manhole cover or whatever makes one tire go freely and what is the other idiot tire doing in response? Goes possum. Right. Way to go (forward).

On the other hand, you could add a LSD later and that way you wouldn't be forced to buy the sport suspension (or maybe that is included in the S).

No way I would voluntarily order any kind of active suspension.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think some of us may be confusing PTV (torque vectoring) with PSM (traction control and stability management). PTV is basically a LSD that can also brake an inside wheel in tight corners. I can't see how this is useful unless you are driving very aggressively. And even if you are, I've driven PTV and non-PTV cars back to back -- on a track -- and I can't feel any difference. That being said, if you plan to track your car a lot, then it's probably worth the cost for peace of mind. But if you don't track the car, I think it's an option that you can easily do without.

SC obviously has it's fans but I think it's also of minimal use unless you are going to track the car.

At the end of the day, it's your car and if you have any doubts, then get the option. It's only money. LOL.

P.S. I've owned and tracked both a non-PTV and non-SC 981 and a GTS with both.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts