Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Yesterday i purchased a 2017 dodge challenger scat pack 392, I was checking the specs and i noticed that it does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, i also checked the Boxster S and it shows 0-60 4.2 seconds, i did some mods on my boxster, Agency power high flow cat headers, fabspeed supercup race exhaust, IPD plenum not installed yet and i think i'm going to get the fabspeed Cobb protune. Challenger has 485HP and i was told with protune, headers and exhaust i may get 370HP on the Boxster S, i was just wondering if the boxster is going to beat the challenger on a 1/4 mile race. what you guys think.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

·
Registered
37 Posts
To be honest it would be a relatively even race. Might even edge out due to aero being better with the cayman. Rule of thumb (not perfect) is that for every 1000lbs you give up 100hp. So a 370hp 29XXlb cayman vs a 485hp 44XXlb Scat pack, will probably be a closer race than you might think. The dodge has a torque advantage, but it'll be interesting to see if that helps it edge out. Definitely a race I'd want to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've seen 0 - 60s quoted from 4.2 to 4.8 seconds, so who knows? Track surface temperature, air temp, driver skill...many variables. Often, as in our post, it's not clear whether the Porsche is manual or has PDK (faster.) I'd also not gety our hopes up too high about horsepower gains. My guess would be 350hp but would love to be proven wrong. Ditto the straight-line winner: My money is on the 485 hp. car. I can out-lap many cars with 400+ hp, but I can't out-accelerate them on a long straight.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Based on stock configuration, should be very close, with the Challenger taking it (on average) on a good launch.

Boxster S will need a higher, flatter mid-range and sufficiently more top-end to match it. The lack of top-end is what'll limit the Boxster as air resistance increases.

The reality is to get very real and consistent results out of the Boxster S (i.e. for more than a dyno run) for a lot (>50HP) increased top-end involves cracking the case. It's like the person asking for 50HP more out of the 2.7. You can absolutely do it, if you're willing to spend very real money, because you're not getting there with bolt-ons and a tune. My Spyder will eventually see quite a bit more power (430HP/340lb-ft assuming we can get enough cool air into it), but only when I'm in there to replacing the timing chain, re-ringing pistons, checking bearings, etc. anyways, because it's not going to be remotely cheap to do that, and have it be reliable (better cooling, oiling, etc.) over the long term and maintain that power consistently over long drives.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If I were to bet on the race I would put my money on the Dodge. If you have a PDK with launch control then maybe it might be close. But the Porsche is not a drag racer any more than the Challenger is a corner carver.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I ran a 12.5 at 112 mph bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd crossing the traps for the last 50' or so. Mine is a manual. I think with a PDk you'll be in the low low 12s around 115

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran a 12.5 at 112 mph bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd crossing the traps for the last 50' or so. Mine is a manual. I think with a PDk you'll be in the low low 12s around 115

Any mods on your car? Yes i have PDK with launch control, its interesting that a 3.4 litter 315 HP Boxster S runs 0-60 4.2 seconds, and the 6.4 litter V8 485HP also runs 0-60 4.2 seconds. challenger is 1000 pounds heaver than the boxster, i figure if the stock boxster does 0-60 4.2 seconds then with modes and tune i should be able to run head to head with the challenger.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were to bet on the race I would put my money on the Dodge. If you have a PDK with launch control then maybe it might be close. But the Porsche is not a drag racer any more than the Challenger is a corner carver.
yes its PDK with launch control, race exhaust, headers, i will be installing the IPD plenum this week and then i'm thinking to get the fabspeed protune,

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to buck the group think and go with your Boxster edging out the Challenger. The stock numbers on the Boxster put it at 12.7 with a trap of 109mph. The Challenger does it a hair quicker at 12.6, with a trap of 112mph. Most folks are getting around 360-365hp with your mods and a pro tune, so 370 is probably a stretch. But, that should be more than enough poop to push you through the quarter at least as quick as the Challenger if not a bit quicker. It's going to be close enough that the driving is more likely to win/lose the race than the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.