Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a dealer with one remaining allocation that is slated to go in late this year or potentially slip to next year and become a 2019 build. The dealer is requesting a $2500 deposit in check form and won't accept credit card. All the cars I've owned and put a deposit on I've always used a credit card.

Should I be leary of this dealer requiring a check?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've done it both ways. Last time was a check. Just be sure to get a receipt. Congrats on the allocation.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It costs a business to take payment via credit card. A check avoids that, and it'll clear LONG before you actually do the order.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I found a dealer with one remaining allocation that is slated to go in late this year or potentially slip to next year and become a 2019 build. The dealer is requesting a $2500 deposit in check form and won't accept credit card. All the cars I've owned and put a deposit on I've always used a credit card.

Should I be leary of this dealer requiring a check?
Should you be leery? No! what difference does it make to you. If you have cash, CC or efectivo, no differerence. You are lucky to get a slot. My dealer simply laughed when I asked him just out of curiosity.

Reactions: gfspencer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'm mailing the check tomorrow. Attached screenshot confirms the allocation. I do have a question about financing vs. leasing when it comes to the GT3. How is it dealing with Porsche Financial Services? Is it better to lease the GT3 or finance it? I do have my own business and could write-off lease payments through the company. The goal is to keep the car indefinitely, but considering I haven't kept a sports car longer than two years maybe I should lease. Any feedback is appreciated.

(PS, I'm not a Dr. I'm sure it was a typo and the CA meant Mr.)

Text Font Line Logo Document

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! Those are going to be beasts! Obvisouly go manual and it should holds it value well if not appreciate!
I haven't decided on the transmission just yet. My head tells me manual but my gut tells me PDK-S. I haven't really thought much about resale or appreciation, but I assume that it will hold value regardless of the transmission choice, right?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't want to sound like a jerk but is that really an allocation? In my experience a firm allocation is V200 with a commission number in the Porsche Sales & Vehicle Management System.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
You can always buy out the lease if you decide the car is a keeper. And despite what some people believe, you can do that any time... not just at lease end.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Should you be leery? No! what difference does it make to you. If you have cash, CC or efectivo, no differerence. You are lucky to get a slot. My dealer simply laughed when I asked him just out of curiosity.
No C4 and now no GT3? Do they even sell Porsches? lol ;)

Reactions: Hoboken

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to sound like a jerk but is that really an allocation? In my experience a firm allocation is V200 with a commission number in the Porsche Sales & Vehicle Management System.
The CA explained to me that they were given 5 allocations, but the last one is not confirmed for a 2018 build and could slip to a 2019 build. He also said that the production number is expected to come in late this year. Should I question the CA regarding my deposit for the allocation? I'd hate to find out later this year that my deposit did not actually yield me a guaranteed build. This is my first time dealing with Porsche so I have no way of knowing if what he said is accurate.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
If they take your money then most likely it is a real allocation. Since you have absolutely no discount :) leasing and buying would cost the same for you; however, you'll be way ahead once you start the tax write off. Definitely get a manual and an option you must have is "Front Axle Lift System".

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The CA explained to me that they were given 5 allocations, but the last one is not confirmed for a 2018 build and could slip to a 2019 build. He also said that the production number is expected to come in late this year. Should I question the CA regarding my deposit for the allocation? I'd hate to find out later this year that my deposit did not actually yield me a guaranteed build. This is my first time dealing with Porsche so I have no way of knowing if what he said is accurate.
I'm not an expert, just have bought a few cars. Generally placing a deposit in itself is not a big deal or a guarantee. Lots of people have placed deposits for a 991.2 GT3 and don't yet have an allocation (including me). Some people place deposits at multiple dealers. Some dealers have "lists"- that whole process is not transparent. Can't really advise on how you approach your dealer. What I have done is get the deposit in early and then followup periodically to ask the status and outlook. Sincerely hope you get the firm allocation.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
From what I was told, a deposit does not guarantee an allocation. It helps the dealer request a car, an allocation from Porsche because there is a customer for such a car. Porsche may or may not oblige. In my case, since I am a Porsche owner, my SA told me that there is a greater chance that Porsche will give him an allocation. Sometimes it takes a long time so I was advised to be patient. I may know in the fall if Porsche will build a C4 for me. Or may not. If you really have an allocation for a GT3, you are very lucky.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. That makes sense. I'm sure that's the gist of what the CA explained to me. I called him and he said to get the cc code/build to him by the end of the year when they go to Porsche for the request. So, I guess I don't have a guaranteed allocation but more like a strong chance to get one approved by Porsche. Sorry for the confusion on this, as this is my first time dealing with Porsche. I'm definitely hoping to get the allocation, but worse case (still a best case) is that I'll find a used one to buy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If they take your money then most likely it is a real allocation. Since you have absolutely no discount
leasing and buying would cost the same for you; however, you'll be way ahead once you start the tax write off. Definitely get a manual and an option you must have is "Front Axle Lift System".
Interesting on Front Axle Lift being a must have option. I was reading from some owners on Renn and they said the plastic front lip is a throw away item and is cheaper to just buy another one if needed. Most people said they only used the lift system once or twice in their lifetime with the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Ok. That makes sense. I'm sure that's the gist of what the CA explained to me. I called him and he said to get the cc code/build to him by the end of the year when they go to Porsche for the request. So, I guess I don't have a guaranteed allocation but more like a strong chance to get one approved by Porsche. Sorry for the confusion on this, as this is my first time dealing with Porsche. I'm definitely hoping to get the allocation, but worse case (still a best case) is that I'll find a used one to buy.
If this is your first Porsche and the dealer is willing to give you an allocation, I would jump at that chance. My SA told me that he has more potential buyers than cars so doesn't even take orders for a GT3. I think those who have bought other high end 911s get first dibs. The GT3 is a rare model and they will certainly not offer me an allocation. I am just a lowly Boxster owner.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
^ you'll get the complete range of opinions on front axle lift. Depends on circumstances. I use it every trip as it's needed to exit my drive. On my Cayman I nearly wore away the air dams ahead of the front wheels so knew the GT3 would need it. Yes the front lip is only about 180 bucks + shipping, but if you wreck one every week it adds up. Some have used ramps at their drive ways etc. For me it was just easier to get the lift.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will definitely consider myself lucky if I actually get to place an order between end of year and next Spring. I've spent the last several months contemplating my next toy and it came down to two vehicles: GTR Nismo and GT3, both used. When I watch videos of the GT3, read about it, listen to the sound of it, etc, I get major goosebumps and even a slight increase of adrenaline. To me, the car just seems to embody everything one could want in a pure sports car. A lot of cars these days lack soul and that connection, and the GT cars seem to be the last of a dying bread.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.