Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this forum, have been learning a lot monitoring the forum and have been looking for a used 718 Cayman S (would be my first Porsche, have test driven both base and S models). Most used Cayman S's I have found include some or all of the PASM/SC/PTV/etc performance options. Noticed a very low mileage 2018 with a few comfort options but none of the performance options. I don't plan on tracking the car or using it for a DD, but would a Cayman with an option combination like this be difficult to resell? Figuring most people looking for the performance of an S is also going to want PASM/SC/PTV/etc.

thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's a low mileage S, if you keep it nice and document all the service you apply regardless of who does said service it will always appeal to someone. Having said that, some will want a flat six instead of the turbo four. It's normal to think about resale, I did the first years I owned mine. Yet the truth is a Porsche isn't a stock fund unless you buy the hyper exotic models. A 918 Spyder is worth much more than it's original ask but they were all sold out to selected buyers and most of us here wouldn't have had just under 900K to throw at one anyway. Buy it to please you, buy it because you want to enjoy it yourself. When I asked my friend if I should buy mine he simply said "you spend a long time in the dirt Boris".... Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I don't plan on tracking the car or using it for a DD, but would a Cayman with an option combination like this be difficult to resell? Figuring most people looking for the performance of an S is also going to want PASM/SC/PTV/etc.
Buy a car for yourself, not the next buyer. Don't worry too much about resale - you will sell it as long as you take care of it and don't neglect it. Remember, it is supposed to be a shiny object to many people (myself included) - not John Deere you take in the field.

My car has PASM, PSE, PTV but no SC (it is MT). If you only want to use the car as a GT on sunny days for relaxed yet fast drives in the country or short trips for weekends out of the house, you do not need any of those options. That is just IMO, of course.

However, if you even remotely think you will catch driving bug and, God forbid, go for high performance driving schools, then out of all of those, you should look for PTV. Rest of them matter very little, IMO. PSE is a total joy that I would not live without, but not necessary for driving.

Good luck with your hunt!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
You're already ahead of the depreciation game buying used; there are so many nice, low-mileage Porsches out there that it just makes good sense to do so. Smart.

I swore I would never buy another brand new Porsche, but I got such a good deal on my new one that the hit was already taken for me, so I am eating only a small helping of crow. :)

If you like the car, that is by far the most important thing. I second (err, third?) the idea that you will be able to sell it without losing your pants. PLUS - quite often, options do not necessarily correlate to a higher ask in the used market - in the collector market, yes, and there may be a few people who really want those performance options...but I'd almost be willing to bet that the average Porsche buyer will notice the comfort stuff before the enthusiast stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts