Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we have only seen Qualifying at this point with coverage through ESPN based on the F1 provided 'world feed'. My initial thoughts..........I really like the lack of commercials when the cars are on track. I miss the insights that David and Steve provided from a driver's perspective and engineering perspective. I really dislike that because of a red flag in Q3, the last 9 minutes of Q3 and Pole Position was completely missed! Net, net.....ESPN needs to make some improvements or they will run a distant second to what NBC had done.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Fortunately in Canada we get the British commentators and TSN has figured out that it is a live event that can go long.

I take it you missed the blistering lap the pole winner put in in the last lap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, missed the last several minutes. Sad.........I was not particularly pleased when ESPN got the contract because they have not been a class act in a long time. This first opportunity, unfortunately, reinforced my fears as a long standing F1 and sports car race fan.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So ESPN has the rights but they teamed with Sky (from the U.K.) for the comments. I also had the missing last portion from my DVR but went into the ESPN app in my Apple TV and was able to see the last 10minutes. We will see tonight how the race goes. I miss the NBC team but we will see how the Sky team is ( from what I heard they seem to be very good).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Just finished watching the race. IMO ESPN's coverage was pretty poor. Although I appreciate the split screen during commercial breaks it seemed to me that there were way too many of them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just finished watching the race. IMO ESPN's coverage was pretty poor. Although I appreciate the split screen during commercial breaks it seemed to me that there were way too many of them.
And the commenters had no idea when the commercials were. They were at commercial when Ericson retired and they never talked about it. Then they were at commercial during the safety car restart! Wtf.

·
Registered
49 Posts
And the commenters had no idea when the commercials were. They were at commercial when Ericson retired and they never talked about it. Then they were at commercial during the safety car restart! Wtf.
Y'all are not alone in missing the old crew. More ads w/split screen do not make for a good show. Time to send a note to espn,,,

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already sent a message to ESPN. However, I do not think that they are a particularly quality network and have not been for a long time. The commentators they have for other sports are pretty spotty in real analysis abilities............many spend too much time in false arguments and/or self-aggrandizement. It is pretty apparent that ESPN is too driven by bean counters and not in actually providing quality programming.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The combination of the high premium for F1 TV rights and the small advertising fees that an F1 race commands in the US necessitates many, many commercials. OTOH my guess is that the fee for a 30 second Super Bowl commercial would have covered 100% of F1 TV rights for one race. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
If they were the Sky TV commentators, they don’t take breaks during the race, so would have been talking about it during the commercial. Do ESPN have PIP at least?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Reading about ESPN's coverage makes me thankful that we get Sky's. However, the commercials are an annoyance, even with PIP. They showed the same Tim Horton's sandwich commercial at least once and usually twice on each break. Grrr.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If they were the Sky TV commentators, they don’t take breaks during the race, so would have been talking about it during the commercial. Do ESPN have PIP at least?

It is the Sky team but ESPN is managing the broadcast so they go to commercials and you miss whatever happened during that time as the Sky broadcast is, as you said, commercial free.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
The combination of the high premium for F1 TV rights and the small advertising fees that an F1 race commands in the US necessitates many, many commercials. OTOH my guess is that the fee for a 30 second Super Bowl commercial would have covered 100% of F1 TV rights for one race. :)
I don't doubt the necessity of advertising revenue. It's just that the execution could have been better.

Those split screen commercial breaks, in addition to being quite frequent, were also quite long. I timed one ad break and it lasted a good 5 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to agree. It's unfortunate that ESPN is just transmitting the Sky feed and inserting commercials so there's albeit with split screen. I do miss Steve Machett but Martin Brundle provided excellent commentary and drivers insight on how the cars were handling. and the commentators did a great job building up the start on the formation lap.

hopefully it gets better

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If they ever get it ready to roll, the F1 streaming service looks to be an option to consider. Don't know who the commentators will be, but it will be commercial free.

·
Incurable Gearhead
945 Posts
None of this comes as any surprise. As soon as ESPN was announced as the the provider here, US viewers were guaranteed a crap product. Absolutely guaranteed. You can contact the network till you’re blue in the face and it won’t make a bit of difference. The coverage will be moved around from ESPN network to ESPN network to accommodate college softball, soccer, poker, and of course football/politics. Eff ESPN and all of its baggage. Eff ESPN in its entirety. The only remaining hope for US F1 fans is the upcoming online service, F1 TV Pro, which I will happily pay for. Just as I do with MotoGP & World Superbike. Excellent & thorough coverage along with direct $$ support for a given series/sport.

TLDR; Want things to change? Forget about ESPN and vote with your $$ as soon as F1's TV Pro service launches.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I gotta say despite having ESPN I much prefer the original Sky broadcast which is why I look for downloads on the web for the broadcast. I can't wait for the F1 OTT product to get released so I can stop doing that. Though with the rather dismal racing as a result of cars being difficult to pass though the Red Bull guys usually blow past all that - I may have to give up watching f1 altogether! WRC is a lot of fun and so is the king of motorsports racing Motogp!

1 - 20 of 162 Posts