Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yeah, but they could've walked a mile. Instead the will make a step, than all make puzzled faces when nothing much changed. I say ban any openings/slots in the wings. And lower the sqftage (in vertical projection)
I have already heard that the teams think there will be very little change in the aero with the new regs. These guys are too damn good at the wind tunnel stuff.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think now that we are in the hybrid era whatever we are fine. Stick to the formula. Don't put in massive engine regulation changes so manufacturers can catch up to Ferrari and Mercedes. What we need to fix is the crazy aero trickery as was already mentioned. That's the number one problem. And in 2019 they are taking a step in that direction by reducing the complexity of the aero both for the front and rear wings. That's already a move in the right direction IMO.
Frankly, I have been thinking deeply about all this and to find ONE regulation to take care of all (or at least most) of the problems we saw this year. I think I found it. Ban all radio communications and all pit-to-car transmissions together with TV on the steering wheel. Pit board can have ONLY three pieces of information : car ahead gap, car behind gap and "PIT next lap". You cannot transmit anything to the car to set parameters of the engine or anything else - simply, the CAR itself cannot receive anything. That's it. First violation is $2 million, second one we strip all points you have, third one we show you the door.

Why? Well ...

First. If your driver cannot drive the engine you provided all by himself, you will need to simplify. And add lightness :) Which only adds to entertainment.

Second. Person on Xanax watching numbers on the laptop makes BORING decisions. Red-misted driver uber-high on adrenaline in the middle of the life and death battle makes entertaining decisions.

Third. Efficiency is immensely boring. Redundancies, waste and mistakes are entertaining because fast-thinkers and lucky ones can access resources left by inefficiency.

Fourth. Racing drivers race. Paraphrasing one of them : "The moment you do not go for that elusive 50-50 chance gap, you are not racing driver anymore". They'll race the wildlife on track, let alone fellow drivers. As long as this is not WEC but sprint race, you do not get to tell drivers whom to race and whom not to.

Final one. There is a Driver's Championship. There isn't Pit Wall Championship.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well said CinciOH. I gotta agree with you on all points. That whole pit wall communication absolutely needs to go. I just read the radio transcript for Hamilton and his engineer for the full race. Fascinating as it was, part of me was disappointed there was so much talk of tires and diff settings etc being discussed. I thought the driver was supposed to drive the damn thing and not 'manage' it.

I am ok with whatever motor they are putting in the car - hybrid, electric, Flinstone pedals. Does not matter to me as long as I see the cars are beasts to drive and get the most out of and the driver is doing all the work. Which is why I like qualifying better than the race. They go as fast as they can on instinct or feel and they don't have time to ask questions about diff settings and tires etc. Just balls to the wall.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The problem is that F1 has turned into a beast for which technological innovation has become more important than exciting racing. The drivers get lots of headlines, but the money goes into an ever-escalating development war of the cars. Taking away the radios goes the other way and to a large part neuters the team's input. While we agree that this is not a bad thing, it ain't going to happen. What they could do is leave the radios but cut back on the amount of systems that can be controlled and adjusted. Take a look at what Max (and the rest) have to deal with.

Tech F1i Mexico: A look at the work place of Max Verstappen

Getting rid most of this stuff would certainly not harm racing.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Taking away the radios goes the other way and to a large part neuters the team's input. While we agree that this is not a bad thing, it ain't going to happen. What they could do is leave the radios but cut back on the amount of systems that can be controlled and adjusted. Take a look at what Max (and the rest) have to deal with.

Tech F1i Mexico: A look at the work place of Max Verstappen

Getting rid most of this stuff would certainly not harm racing.
But that is just it. I do not think that Max uses on his own volition even 10% of these buttons. It is usually the radio that chimes in "Max, set the diff to 3" or "Max, set brake balance to 5, we see high temps on fronts during braking". Whether you get rid of all this on the steering wheel (together with a TV on steering wheel) or get rid of the radio is basically the same difference. Getting rid of the radio has one major advantage - strategy calls are made only by the driver. I am sick and tired of close to 100% efficiency which breeds only boring races.

Please keep in mind that I hugely enjoy strategy calls when stuff hits the fan. Red Bull won one race for sure (maybe two, can't remember) this year because of a ballsy call on tire change under safety car while both Mercedes and Ferrari were sleeping. The problem is that, if nothing happens, the strategy calls are so perfect that nothing will change for the rest of the race if nobody makes a mistake (Vettel at Hockenheim, for example).

Overwhelming tech is fine, as long as it can be ran by a single human sitting in the cockpit without outside inputs. Which usually means setting up the car, like in olden days, the morning of the race and living with consequences if you get it wrong. Or living with bad luck if conditions change. All of it adding to entertainment.

I don't know, I think Liberty might be more susceptible to make changes if content is boring than Bernie ever was. At least it looks to me that way. One can hope, right? :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
But that is just it. I do not think that Max uses on his own volition even 10% of these buttons. It is usually the radio that chimes in "Max, set the diff to 3" or "Max, set brake balance to 5, we see high temps on fronts during braking". Whether you get rid of all this on the steering wheel (together with a TV on steering wheel) or get rid of the radio is basically the same difference. Getting rid of the radio has one major advantage - strategy calls are made only by the driver. I am sick and tired of close to 100% efficiency which breeds only boring races.

Please keep in mind that I hugely enjoy strategy calls when stuff hits the fan. Red Bull won one race for sure (maybe two, can't remember) this year because of a ballsy call on tire change under safety car while both Mercedes and Ferrari were sleeping. The problem is that, if nothing happens, the strategy calls are so perfect that nothing will change for the rest of the race if nobody makes a mistake (Vettel at Hockenheim, for example).

Overwhelming tech is fine, as long as it can be ran by a single human sitting in the cockpit without outside inputs. Which usually means setting up the car, like in olden days, the morning of the race and living with consequences if you get it wrong. Or living with bad luck if conditions change. All of it adding to entertainment.

I don't know, I think Liberty might be more susceptible to make changes if content is boring than Bernie ever was. At least it looks to me that way. One can hope, right? :)

Agreed.

I am fine with technical innovation but don't let a team of a 100 people working behind the scenes tell the driver what to do. Remove those radio calls or coded messages etc. Or make the steering wheel simpler. And for god's sake allow the cars to follow each other better. There's talk the downforce will drop down by a third next year. I hope that happens!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Agreed.

I am fine with technical innovation but don't let a team of a 100 people working behind the scenes tell the driver what to do. Remove those radio calls or coded messages etc. Or make the steering wheel simpler. And for god's sake allow the cars to follow each other better. There's talk the downforce will drop down by a third next year. I hope that happens!
What they are trying to do is prevent the routing of air outboard of the wheels, which is what is making it difficult to follow closely. It isn't necessarily a question of less downforce but better directed airflow. The thing that concerns me is that these designers are so damn good that the new rules have to be able to anticipate the various aero tricks that will no doubt be developed. It's hard to stay ahead of these guys.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Overwhelming tech is fine, as long as it can be ran by a single human sitting in the cockpit without outside inputs.
Which usually means setting up the car, like in olden days, the morning of the race and living with consequences if you get it wrong.
Or living with bad luck if conditions change. All of it adding to entertainment.
I couldn't agree more.

Qualifying has always been my favorite.

Who remembers qualifying tires and qualifying motors?

When I first saw F1 it was Gilles Villenueve and Niki Lauda and James Hunt and Mario Andretti and Nelson Piquet with 3L Cosworth V8s and Ferrari and Matra 12s.
A few years later Senna and Schumacher and turbo Renaults and BMWs show up.

That about covers the good old days in F1 for me.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I totally agree with getting rid of the radio. Right now driver is just an obstacle between car and control from the pit wall. They could've done it much more efficient with just the remote control. But we don't want to watch remote control cars racing!!! Ban the radio. it does nothing to improve the show. If driver doesn't know how to set up his car and what brakes diff to select, well, too bad.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Overwhelming tech is fine, as long as it can be ran by a single human sitting in the cockpit without outside inputs.
Which usually means setting up the car, like in olden days, the morning of the race and living with consequences if you get it wrong.
Or living with bad luck if conditions change. All of it adding to entertainment.
I couldn't agree more.

Qualifying has always been my favorite.

Who remembers qualifying tires and qualifying motors?

When I first saw F1 it was Gilles Villenueve and Niki Lauda and James Hunt and Mario Andretti and Nelson Piquet with 3L Cosworth V8s and Ferrari and Matra 12s.
A few years later Senna and Schumacher and turbo Renaults and BMWs show up.

That about covers the good old days in F1 for me.
I saw the Detroit Grand Prix when it was there. The 1st year was also the 1st year for the Renault turbo cars. It was amazing. The Matra 12 cyls would rip your ears off they were so loud. The Renault by comparison sounded like a Toyota but criminy were they fast. Btw, at one point of the track as they turned onto the finish straight every one accelerated at the exact same point. The result? A huge divot in the asphalt that everyone had to start avoiding after about 10 laps or so.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I second the comment about qualifying being my favorite. It's the same for me. Then in the race it's almost like they are just managing the car and not driving.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Opinion from the first row seat. Fernando Alonso talks to ESPN. Nothing to add. :)

"The rules change went in the wrong direction," he says, "because now the teams have very little room to play and to use creativity into strategies or anything like that. There is fixed fuel for everyone, a fixed fuel flow to put in the engine that is the same for everyone. The same tyres for everyone, the same weight distribution for everyone. The same tyre pressure, mandatory for everyone, the same camber for everyone.

"In a way it helped the less talented people. They train a lot in the simulator, they arrive to the new circuits knowing exactly where are the bumps, where are the kerbs that you can take, where are the difficult spots and then into the race, normally there is only one optimum way to arrive to the end.

"It's all about how to save the energy, the tyres, whatever that the engineers tell you to do, you just follow that instruction. You have a little bit of room for instinct in different parts of the race but normally it's less optimum if you try to do it yourself. I think when we didn't have all that information it was more you and the car on a Sunday afternoon and I think it was more about driver input."

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Alonso nailed it. And basically everything we said here. I watched him in Indy last year, and will go again this year!

I did meet the guy when I sneaked into USGP paddocks in 2004 (IRR). Need to scan the pictures and show them here

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I really think F1 has become too inundated with driver aids - like the race engineer in their ears, and those simulators. Both of those should be banned. But gotta admit I enjoyed the 2018 season till it fell flat towards the end when Vettel and Ferrari lost it a bit after Monza. Still they were incredibly gracious in defeat. The mid field pack always gave us good races. LeClerc finished the test fastest. I am sure there's a lot riding on his shoulders having been promoted to Kimi's seat for next year. Bring on next year. Hopefully the changes in the aero regulations will mean the cars can follow each other better.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Something tells me next year Kimi still will be Ferrari's last champion :) Vettel came with a lot of hype... many years later- still nothing. If you don't have the best car - you will not win the game in modern F1.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Vettel came with a lot of hype... many years later- still nothing. If you don't have the best car - you will not win the game in modern F1.
Not so sure. Ferrari seemed to have the best car for at least half the season. Hamilton won races anyhow. My feeling is that Hamilton in this years Ferrari would beat Vettel in a Merc. And I am a Vettel fan. I have also, somewhat begrudgingly, become a Hamilton fan. He is just too good.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Not so sure. Ferrari seemed to have the best car for at least half the season. Hamilton won races anyhow. My feeling is that Hamilton in this years Ferrari would beat Vettel in a Merc. And I am a Vettel fan. I have also, somewhat begrudgingly, become a Hamilton fan. He is just too good.
Hamilton won me over with his skill, I think in equal cars he would likely beat Vettel anyway. He's smart, knows when to push and where to take chances if needed. His team rarely makes mistakes. It's going to be fun watching next year with Leclerc, who is reported on F1.com:

"There was always going to be interest in Leclerc’s performance given the fact Vettel had driven on Tuesday, providing a benchmark time. The 21-year-old duly went nearly 0.4s quicker than the four-time world champion on similar tyres - using next year’s version of the hypersoft compared to Vettel on the 2018 compound - but was keen to play down any talk of personal performance."

With Verstappen maturing yet still having the well-earned aggressive driver reputation, maybe we'll see more competitive racing as well. And unless his car is severely handicapped, Lewis has to be the fav yet again.

Any wildcard surprises for 2019?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I do not think that Hamilton would be able to do more in Ferrari car. For me it was painfully obvious that in second half - Ferrari lost the race, pan intended.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
With Verstappen maturing yet still having the well-earned aggressive driver reputation, maybe we'll see more competitive racing as well. And unless his car is severely handicapped, Lewis has to be the fav yet again.
Where did you see Verstappen maturing? Every second race he does something stupid that hinders/ends his own race. And it was his 4th year in F1??? To me it looks like he's seriously not able to adapt from go-karts to F1. He can be quick one race, but the next one he inevitable will do something to loose points. There are a lot of quick guys out there, just give them the good car. There are only few champ materials. I'm sure Red Bull is already panicking. Even if they build a car, he'll always find a way to loose points. Like racing and colliding with back marker while leading the race. Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi - would never ever let that happen. Never. They'd always expect unexpected. Max - he just hit cars... Could be okay in 1st year, but after 4...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Where did you see Verstappen maturing? Every second race he does something stupid that hinders/ends his own race. And it was his 4th year in F1??? To me it looks like he's seriously not able to adapt from go-karts to F1. He can be quick one race, but the next one he inevitable will do something to loose points. There are a lot of quick guys out there, just give them the good car. There are only few champ materials. I'm sure Red Bull is already panicking. Even if they build a car, he'll always find a way to loose points. Like racing and colliding with back marker while leading the race. Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi - would never ever let that happen. Never. They'd always expect unexpected. Max - he just hit cars... Could be okay in 1st year, but after 4...
Over the last nine races, Max was second to Lewis in points with seven podiums and nothing worse than 5th. I would call that a pretty good return with an underpowered car. I don't particularly like him either but he is likely to be a world champ.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts