Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will happen with the 2018 leftover 2018 inventory? On just Autotrader there are over 250 718 in various configs. Plus, the used market is bursting open with very low mileage 718 cars. Is is time to pursue $25k to $30k off a $85 to $95k 718? These cars have been sitting for 400 or more days. The laws of Supply and Demand says the price has to come down or the cars will sit forever. What price would you seek off a new 2018 718 that has an MSRP of $95k?

I don't want to get punched in the face for lowballing a dealer, but supply and demand is real and some good deals will happen.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
cant hurt to ask

What will happen with the 2018 leftover 2018 inventory? On just Autotrader there are over 250 718 in various configs. Plus, the used market is bursting open with very low mileage 718 cars. Is is time to pursue $25k to $30k off a $85 to $95k 718? These cars have been sitting for 400 or more days. The laws of Supply and Demand says the price has to come down or the cars will sit forever. What price would you seek off a new 2018 718 that has an MSRP of $95k?

I don't want to get punched in the face for lowballing a dealer, but supply and demand is real and some good deals will happen.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think a lot will depend upon the price point of the NA 6. With the 718 GTS starting at 80K, what will the bump be for the NA engine? I'm thinking at least another 10K, depending on the engine and hp. Looking forward to seeing the release.

If they really are going back to six cylinders, then the dealers are going to be hating life. Make them squeal. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Couple of things: First, Autotrader is not up to date when it comes to new cars from dealers. You have to check on availability which 50/50 may be that the car is already sold. Second, I think $25k to $30K is very optimistic. In a normal market I think you can expect 5 to 7% off list. In a excess market as you believe there is 10% to 12%. That's say $84k for a $95k MSRP. If you can do better then please let us all know. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I don't think there's a 6 coming to replace the T4; if there is at best it'll be a limited edition "swan song" car that won't impact the 718 T4 world (either new or used) much. If I'm wrong, and Porsche makes a whack of NA six 718s that pretty much anyone that wants one can get, it'll cause prices of the T4s to drop significantly. That would be good news for flat-sixers AND for those of us who don't have a bias against a T4 in a Porsche; the flat-sixers' dreams come true and the rest of us have the opportunity to pick up great car for less money. The only people it would suck for is current 718 owners...Porsche should expect them to show up with pitchforks, buckets of tar and feathers.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

There are not 250 new 718s in Autotrader. When I went to the site, it showed all 718s for sale, new and used.
I'd say that you have a shot on a $15K discount off MSRP on a used 2018 718 with around 4- 5K miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
824 Posts

How long do you plan to keep the car if you get it? If less than about 5 or 6 years, you might not gain much by buying at the end of a model year.
(And the dealers are likely to have crunched the numbers more than you.)

·
Registered
924 Posts
The only people it would suck for is current 718 owners...Porsche should expect them to show up with pitchforks, buckets of tar and feathers.
That would be just like when all the people who bought M96-powered Porsche showed up with pitchforks when Porsche told them to go pound sand if they needed a new engine at the tune of $20,000? Assuming all assumptions are correct and T4 718 will lose extra $4-5,000 of value if we want to be generous? I somehow don't see that happening.

Euro brands with heritage do not function nor do they respond to market forces as US companies or, at least, as US customers are accustomed to. That's why you don't have a proper cupholder after 50 years in a 911. Which is good. And why, if all assumptions come to be true and 718 owners lose bunch of money, Porsche won't be losing any sleep over it. Which is bad. You always get good with the bad. Can't have a free lunch. Not in this Universe :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Recently received email offer from nearby dealer for approx. 9% discount on 2018 718 Cayman S and GTS. Presume one could negotiate a little more.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 3 local Porsche dealers only have 5 718's in stock combined. You might get lucky and get 12% off at some dealer, but don't think they will be having some big inventory clearance because there really isn't that much inventory overall...and the 6 cylinder car still has no set release date and will likely be near impossible to find.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Recently received email offer from nearby dealer for approx. 9% discount on 2018 718 Cayman S and GTS. Presume one could negotiate a little more.
I’m a bit confused, caymans being ordered and delivered now are model year 2019. The 2020’s should be ready to be ordered. Are you talking about leftover 2018 models - already almost 2 model years old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I’m a bit confused, caymans being ordered and delivered now are model year 2019. The 2020’s should be ready to be ordered. Are you talking about leftover 2018 models - already almost 2 model years old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out they are demos. The email was misleading. Checked their website and the cars are demos. Not clear if the warranties are punched. Seem to be selling as new. Porsche San Antonio.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I live in northern Md and there are five Porsche dealers near me, and there are no 2018 718s for sale. As a matter of fact there are just a few 2019 718s for sale. Now if you want a Cayenne or Macan, there are many to chose from. I didn't do the math, but sports cars probably make up far less than 20% of their inventory.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Who cares how many 718s are on the lot? Just get a CPO GT3, they are everywhere. Definitely more used GT3s than 718s out there. ;)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Who cares how many 718s are on the lot? Just get a CPO GT3, they are everywhere. Definitely more used GT3s than 718s out there. ;)
Yep. A 991 GT3 is certainly not a rare car...if a C8 can kick its butt for substantially less money, and it becomes the new premiere track toy, that will put pressure on the used GT3 market.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yep. A 991 GT3 is certainly not a rare car...if a C8 can kick its butt for substantially less money, and it becomes the new premiere track toy, that will put pressure on the used GT3 market.
I love how you are thinking. Good point. I am really hoping the new mid engine Vette is going to be epic. And yes it will be tracked! Lot more than I track my Spyder!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts