Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here, and have a 2018 base 718 MT on order due mid July, my primary goals where to keep the sticker price very low, and to configure the car best for a very tall driver (6 ft 5in)
I spoke with the man that does all the cayman ordering for one of the largest Porsche dealers in the USA, his recommended configuration was to get the GT steering wheel (smaller Diameter) for knee clearance when operating clutch, AND to order the stock base non power seats, the reason is 2 fold, one he claims the power motors rob just a bit of rearward travel and 2 the base seat is actually thinner than all the upgraded versions....he claims the combined result is more than 2.5 to 3 inches of extra room for long legged drivers!
As I have nothing to do but wait for my car, has any tall drivers driven base unpowered seats back to back with powered? My dealership did not have a base seat on the lot.... At my height every inch counts!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did see one review that said one of their 6'5" drivers was fine inside with only a bit of fiddling to actually get in. It sure sounds like you should be fine. I don't remember what seats the car had.

Greg

·
Registered
344 Posts
Perhaps Porsche can do for you as Ford did for Dan Gurney and add a "Gurney Bubble" to the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankfully the bubble is not needed, when I placed my order for base manual transmission, the only tester car was a PDK equipped S model, I have size 16 shoes and so in preparing for the test drive I had ordered some Vibram 5 fingers shoes, they are minimalist to the extreme with perhaps less than 1/8 inch thick soles....they are the next thing better than going barefoot! Not only could I enter and exit the car 300% more graceful but I could Feel the edges of the pedals and even the texture. The second skin shoes made the foot well feel down right cavernous as well....I was so impressed with the driving experience with these shoes it made me feel like I was driving with 4 hands! I told the salesman he should get a Case of the shoes and include pair with every new Porsche purchase.
So I think I am so new the forum will not let me add a pic of the shoes yet, but its nice to know that I fit my favorite car even if I need to wear special shoes to fully enjoy it.
I will take some measurements with a tape when my base car comes in to see if the Porsche order dude steered my right and report back here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm 6'3.5" and have a 35" inseam. I find that the base seat does not go as low as the 14-way seats, so I would make sure you sit in both before your order is locked. I do find the base and 14-way seats to be a little restrictive on my back - lats, but very livable. I made the mistake of trying the 18-way seats, which lets you adjust the back cushion side bolsters, and found them to be the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. They were beyond my budget; however. Budgets suck when ordering a Porsche.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You don't say regarding the rest of your physical dimensions but the base seats are a bit narrow in the back rest (for my taste). I found the sport seats with their wider back rest better. I got the manual sport seats and while I am not excessively tall (6') and relatively slim (185lbs) when I adjust to my comfort there is plenty of room left. I image that you will be just fine. Remember that Europeans are on average quite a bit taller than the average American.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Give up your clutch dream and go PDK. I know some big people that could fit in my S4, but could not physically shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
First post ... I'm 6-3.5, @240lbs with a 34" inseam. The 718 with 14-ways fits me perfectly. Seriously, like a glove. It actually freaked me out how well I fit the first time I sat in one!

Most two-seat cars have an abundance of leg room; both my '76 280z from high school and my 370z (two cars ago) had seats that went back so far I couldn't reach the pedals. The Cayman isn't quite that bountiful, but I still have to scoot the seat up about 3" for proper leg extension.

My issue is typically with torso height. The Cayman has about 2" of head room in my ideal position, and that's enough (and very similar to the car I'm driving now, a BMW 2 Series). Even the steering wheel, at its uppermost and just short of most extended position, allows for a perfect 90-degree elbow bend with hands at 3 and 9.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.