Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Yeah, I just watch second tier fighting this season. Merc already won both championships, (greatest) Vettel is nowhere again. many-years-in-the-making-champ-Max can't do nothing without proper car. Only second tier is keeping me going this season. Go Kimi!

They REALLY need to do something radical to spike the competition at the top. Like make tires smaller and let people do whatever they want for engine/drivetrain. With unlimited fuel. WTF cares how much fuel they use, when the caravan burns 100 tons to get to the race. And planes burn even more for overseas flights.

But it's looking 99% sure they won't change a thing.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This qualifying session (Austria) perfectly explains what I wanted to say couple of posts ago.

Again, I do not hate Mercedes and I do not root for Ferrari - as a matter of fact, I don't like Ferrari very much.

So, for the first time since Barcelona testing in February, Ferrari is obviously superior to Mercedes on any tire. And not for few 1/100ths of a second - significantly faster. And so is Red Bull, only less superior. Gasly matched Verstappen in lap times closest this season. In Q1 they were less than 1/10th apart. So, what happens in the end?

Hamilton gets the only clean lap in the last hurrah of the Q3, Vettel has a mechanical issue and is 10th on the grid, Gasly is nowhere and starts 9th. Possible penalty for HAM aside, provisory grid is

LEC
HAM
VER
BOT

instead of, at least

LEC
VET
VER
BOT
HAM

I mean, when their preparation and superior team managment come short, Lady Luck ALWAYS shows up and helps.

THAT was what I was complaining about, not stewards calling shots that fabor Mercedes. Rules and stewards had nothing with the fact that Hamilton ended up on the front row instead of being 5th as everything in free practice and Q1 and Q2 would made you think. How can you even hope for anything to make race interesting when the most superior team (and kudos to them for that) also happens to be most loved by Lady Luck. Just can't get a break and hope for an interesting race.

Had Hamilton started 5th, there was an excellent chance we would see direct fight HAM-VET after tire change - this time VET coming up from 10th place in a superior car chasing HAM in an inferior car. But no, can't have that either.

I don't know what can make this interesting tomorrow. Maybe a heavy rain after all have had tires changed. Otherwise, HAM will go past LEC in turn 1 or 3 and that will be it. VER will not be able to go by LEC and we will have a procession to finish one more time. WTF. Really ...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Vettel's issue today wasn't bad luck, it was a reliability problem. The Mercs don't seem to break down. Good luck or better performers?

Lewis may or may not have beaten Vettel, but he didn't get second by having the only "clean lap". Some of the others got tows, which Hamilton wanted but couldn't get. He was second fastest and was only beaten by clearly faster Leclerc, who set a circuit record without a clean lap. I am not a Mercedes fan, but I think Lewis is right where he deserves. Except that he just got a three place drop! Now we can have some fun. Come on Lando!

LEC
VER
BOT
NOR !!!!!
HAM

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I agree, I gave kudos to Mercedes for being the best prepared team, right there with Red Bull.

But ... come on!

Did Leclerc's car crap out in Melbourne where it hardly mattered? Nope, in Bahrain. Where it gave HAM victory he himself said he didn't deserve.

Did Vettel's car decide to crap out in Le Castellet where it hardly mattered? Nope, in Spielberg where locking the front row was basically a given.

Yes, HAM ended 5th and we might get that fight I was talking about, but only because of the action of stewards which, let's be honest, could have gone either way. Not cool.

It will be interesting to see how will Mercedes (and Lewis at that) win tomorrow. Frankly, that is not even a question anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if Leclerc's car gets hit by a piece of space junk or a meteorite.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Or Ferrari screws up his pitstop

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Well, that was fun. Excellent racing, including for the win and Mercedes were also-ran. Plus the stewards didn’t change the result two hours later. There seems to be hope for F1 yet.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, that was fun. Excellent racing, including for the win and Mercedes were also-ran. Plus the stewards didn’t change the result two hours later. There seems to be hope for F1 yet.
Let's hope this is not one-and-done.

I was, frankly, shocked by Red Bull's performance in the second part of the race. Sure, there is a Max Verstappen factor, but Leclerc isn't exactly the slowest guy on the grid either.

Here's to a repeat in Silverstone.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Here, here. Don't know if you have read Mark Hughes, but he is several levels above any other motorsport writer that I have found. His post race analyses are particularly interesting. The Austrian GP analysis unfortunately suggests that the Mercedes issue was unlikely to be repeated, unless blistering heat is present at another race.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2019-austrian-grand-prix-race-report

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Here, here. Don't know if you have read Mark Hughes, but he is several levels above any other motorsport writer that I have found. His post race analyses are particularly interesting. The Austrian GP analysis unfortunately suggests that the Mercedes issue was unlikely to be repeated, unless blistering heat is present at another race.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2019-austrian-grand-prix-race-report
Austria or not, Mercedes has practically won everything already. It's just a matter of putting the dot. There will be no miraculous come back for Ferrari. Again. This year they were even further than usual, I think

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's to renew the idea of installing sprinklers on all racetracks. Nothing else gives a spectacle like wet race, especially a hormonally imbalanced teenage rain that just cannot decide whether to stay or to go. What a race ...

I was serious above, and I am serious now. Alonso once said it in passing, how teams who can simulate everything anhead will win, but that is far from best racers winning. So, back to sprinklers, nothing makes it impossible to prepare as wet track. As long as it is randomized by a computer and no human has any input when, how much nor for how long will it be wet ... we will have best racers battle each other for win.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Here's to renew the idea of installing sprinklers on all racetracks. Nothing else gives a spectacle like wet race, especially a hormonally imbalanced teenage rain that just cannot decide whether to stay or to go. What a race ...

I was serious above, and I am serious now. Alonso once said it in passing, how teams who can simulate everything anhead will win, but that is far from best racers winning. So, back to sprinklers, nothing makes it impossible to prepare as wet track. As long as it is randomized by a computer and no human has any input when, how much nor for how long will it be wet ... we will have best racers battle each other for win.

Lol, agreed. Perhaps a rain dance before each race would also help. Even if it only hits Quali and jumbles the start order, rain is the best thing that can happen to F1.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
YES. Bring. More. Rain.

Best race in years!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was just watching something on You Tube when this one popped as a suggestion. Nothing really to see here, but there are two shots following the car along the Donnington main straight from the outside. Goosebumps. Car is 1997 Benetton B197 V10. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wagsTR9ZH4

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
OK, first bomb was dropped by Red Bull and silly season got kicked into a higher gear now. For those not regularly reading F1 news, Pierre Gasly was dropped by Red Bull team effective immediately and is replaced by Alexander Albon from Toro Rosso. Gasly is going back to Toro Rosso.

Frankly, I do not understand Red Bull logic in this specific moment. Yes, both Vettel (22 when he got RB ride) and Verstappen (18 when he got RB ride) paid off. But, both Kvyat and Gasly did not. In this specific moment, you have now-cooler-headed Kvyat who is showing better racecraft (if not sheer speed) than Albon and you are filling the seat for only half season. Frankly, I would have placed Kvyat in the second car. The only reason I see for this current RB decision is that, considering all the experience, Kvyat should have more than almost twice the points of Albon (Kvyat 27 - Albon 16). Not buying that argument. Furthermore, they just said to Kvyat that he is going nowhere in the Red Bull family, there will be no second chances. Awesome way to motivate the driver.

If we go back and see all bone-headed moves Kvyat made in Red Bull and then go back and see all bone-headed moves Verstappen made while driving Red Bull, I am pretty sure I know who did worse. The only difference was that the first big result for Kvyat was a 2nd place, the very first result for Verstappen was a win - after 2 Mercedes cars collided and took each other out in turn 3-4 in Barcelona. Yes, he did keep back blisteringly fast Raikkonen in a Ferrari for more than half race distance, no mean feat. But still ...

All other opinions welcome. We might as well yap about it, we won't be seeing a race for another 3 weekends. Hopefully, it will be an actual race :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Well, we have had four good ones in a row and the Ferraris should be competitive at Spa, so lets hope...for rain!

I wonder if Helmut and Christian have decided to throw Albon in the deep end just to see how well he swims. Either Bottas or Ocon will be free for next year and that may be Plan B if Albon sinks. I wouldn't necessarily rule Kvyat out of the running for next year either. He seems to be able to take a punch.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
OK, engines didn't even start yet at Spa and we have some surprises coming.

1. Ocon confirmed to drive for Renault in 2020. It was about time, that has to have been the lowest point of the modern Formula 1. Maybe not like Senna sitting the season out because of politics, but at least like Kimi sitting the season out because of politics and money. Disgusting. Best of wishes for Ocon - one of the last "normal family" drivers left in modern F1. You know, from normal family with normal income and without sponsors at the age of 5. Huge sacrifice, they deserve this.

2. Speaking of Kimi ... Seemingly, Marcus Ericsson (remember him?) had to change his plane ticket and, instead of flying to Portland to drive Grand Prix of Portland in Indycar he will be flying to Spa Francorchamps to, allegedly, replace Kimi Raikkonen in Alfa Romeo (Sauber) because of not better specified "issues with Kimi". Here is to hope that Kimi simply overcooked the corner and hit the bar way too fast for his age and is getting familiar with that abysmal feeling of curing bad hangover for days and not in one night anymore. :) All kidding aside, I hope that even this is just a precaution and Kimi will take the grid on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
OK, engines didn't even start yet at Spa and we have some surprises coming.

1. Ocon confirmed to drive for Renault in 2020. It was about time, that has to have been the lowest point of the modern Formula 1. Maybe not like Senna sitting the season out because of politics, but at least like Kimi sitting the season out because of politics and money. Disgusting. Best of wishes for Ocon - one of the last "normal family" drivers left in modern F1. You know, from normal family with normal income and without sponsors at the age of 5. Huge sacrifice, they deserve this.

2. Speaking of Kimi ... Seemingly, Marcus Ericsson (remember him?) had to change his plane ticket and, instead of flying to Portland to drive Grand Prix of Portland in Indycar he will be flying to Spa Francorchamps to, allegedly, replace Kimi Raikkonen in Alfa Romeo (Sauber) because of not better specified "issues with Kimi". Here is to hope that Kimi simply overcooked the corner and hit the bar way too fast for his age and is getting familiar with that abysmal feeling of curing bad hangover for days and not in one night anymore. :) All kidding aside, I hope that even this is just a precaution and Kimi will take the grid on Sunday.
LOL, Kimi should be OK. Its a foot injury. I found this quote:

Raikkonen did not elaborate on how he had sustained the injury: "Sport. It is dangerous. I always said it is more dangerous – drinking is probably safer. Usually you don't get injured, you just get a hangover."

He is magic.

Reactions: CinciOH
21 - 40 of 98 Posts