Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Vendor
6,486 Posts
Notice how no one responded to this !
You watch a lap viewing what the driver has to do to go that fast - no way manual.
Make the engines bigger, sweet sounding, manual trans and no electronics and you have the 70's.
Probably would be more enjoyable to watch and listen to - but never going to happen.
Just watch video of old races.
Nobody responded to that because it's utterly unrealistic in modern F1 cars. The technology will have to be rolled back QUITE A LOT for manuals to be workable option. I remember reading about Senna's mechanic taping his gearshift hand before the race so he doesn't tear it to blood...

If we are talking about fantasy world - yes, give all the drivers exactly, exactly, the same cars, with manuals and V12, and i don't really care about teams.

·
Vendor
6,486 Posts
Is there anything in new regs about innovation? The current F1 is so heavily restricted by specs, I see absolutely no reason for them to have different chassis.... or engines. As a result of tight specs they spend billions (it total) doing insignificant front wing tweaks, completely unrelated to real life, production cars. And fans won't even able to tell the difference between different team cars, if they painted same color. This waste is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Is there anything in new regs about innovation? The current F1 is so heavily restricted by specs, I see absolutely no reason for them to have different chassis.... or engines. As a result of tight specs they spend billions (it total) doing insignificant front wing tweaks, completely unrelated to real life, production cars. And fans won't even able to tell the difference between different team cars, if they painted same color. This waste is just ridiculous.
The problem is that the "tweaks" make all the difference, and the more you spend, the better the design you come up with. Williams and Racing Point have the same engine as Mercedes. The difference is in the chassis and aero and that difference is massive. More innovation means even more money will be spent by Mercedes, Ferrari and RB and the gap will grow even more until the Williams of this world pack up and go home. Which may happen anyhow.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
There is a way out of it. Set the hardest rule to be a budget ceiling. Second hardest rule is car safety - no wiggle room there either, to follow with max speed allowed and minimum weight permitted. EVERYTHING else should be free for all until we need to intervene.

They figured out that, if they leave spending unchecked, they will write so many rules to become a spec series in fact if not on paper. At which point they would lose the richest teams - who wants to spend 3X more than midfielder team in order to gain only symbolic advantage?

We can only hope that the budget cap proposed for 2021 will be properly enforced and some rules loosened up for creativity and innovation to crash the party again - like they did in the '80s and '90s. OK, also in 2009 but that one was a bit different story and it barely lasted long enough to scrap a single Championship. My fear is that overspenders will feel slighted by the new budget rules and pick up their toys and leave.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
..or Ferrari will use their veto and we stay where we are.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
On a different note, this was pretty interesting. The helmets are quite a piece of technology.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
On a different note, this was pretty interesting. The helmets are quite a piece of technology.
Very nice article.

I had to laugh when they were translating or quoting Italians speaking English - that's what I listen to most of the day every day and they sound exactly like that :) And I do not mean that as an offense or anything, it is just fun.

Also, Bassano del Grappa and Schio are a proverbial stone throw from the HQ of the company I work for and, in that same stone-throw radius, you will find Dainese and Alpinestars - just as another example. Think of bunching of F1 teams in the same "region" of UK - the concentration of small and highly specialized shops for anything high tech really is even denser in that corner of Italy. It is quite a place. As bad and dystopian as it looks when driving on A4 autostrada, just barely half a mile off the highway there is a sea of vineyards and orchards, beautiful villas and castles on hilltops. OK, nostalgia hour is over, back to topic :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
The change has to be agreed upon unanimously, right?
Top 3 will need to make some concessions on budget caps or the field is going to drop to 7-8 teams.
Maybe a soft cap, like baseball, where there is a financial (or points) hit for exceeding a certain figure.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The change has to be agreed upon unanimously, right?
Top 3 will need to make some concessions on budget caps or the field is going to drop to 7-8 teams.
Maybe a soft cap, like baseball, where there is a financial (or points) hit for exceeding a certain figure.
Budget cap has basically been agreed to, although it is apparently high enough that a number of the "lesser" teams won't reach it. The cap isn't the problem - the top teams don't like the proposals for standardization of some parts and the aero restrictions.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
OK, guys, now it is official.

There is something wrong with the space-time continuum that totally prevents drivers that sailed past 5th place to actually drive.

Whatever it is, I suggest to the new owners to have a quick look about it and discuss it with teams and FIA. If they just ignore it, they are really risking to completely lose control over the series of which they are stakeholders.

The race was actually happeneing ALL THE TIME from the 6th place to 15th place. Crazy $hit happening. People actually outbreaking others after the straights. People actually passing in crazy places. People actually hitting others in order to pass. Wow.

1st - 5th place? Nope, no racing drivers actually occupied any of those spots.

If I were F1 conglomerate, I would launch an investigation into the teams/drivers that are actually supposed to race, but refuse to do so at any venue where they can get away with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
OK, guys, now it is official.

There is something wrong with the space-time continuum that totally prevents drivers that sailed past 5th place to actually drive.

Whatever it is, I suggest to the new owners to have a quick look about it and discuss it with teams and FIA. If they just ignore it, they are really risking to completely lose control over the series of which they are stakeholders.

The race was actually happeneing ALL THE TIME from the 6th place to 15th place. Crazy $hit happening. People actually outbreaking others after the straights. People actually passing in crazy places. People actually hitting others in order to pass. Wow.

1st - 5th place? Nope, no racing drivers actually occupied any of those spots.

If I were F1 conglomerate, I would launch an investigation into the teams/drivers that are actually supposed to race, but refuse to do so at any venue where they can get away with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Can't argue. After a promising beginning, that was crap.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
This (article below) has little to do with 2019 season, but will have a very big impact on the sport. My first, knee-jerk reaction was, obviously, "OK, it has been a good ride, but after 30 years it is time to get off." My second, thoughtful reaction was "I have to find another sport to watch." My third reaction, after some more thinking, was "I really want to join in. Carbon-neutral sounds really awesome. When is Tour De France again?"

I know I will sound like a dinosaur but ... if you used lions to fight gladiators, after the pressure from society to modernize and stop being a cruel entertainment for ignorant masses, I am not sure that making lions to be vegetarian is a solution to your problem. Which is what is more or less happening here. Oh, yes, they will also ask public to cry instead of cheering when a lion rips somebody's head off. That will make it all better. I am referring to the bright idea to give public points for every green, carbon-neutral choice they make - from transportation they choose to come to the venue all the way to only recyclable containers on the track.

Who would have guessed, back in 2014, what travesty would come out of signing an exclusive until 2039 to run Formula E with FIA? There was also a higher quality article that I missed to save where there was a graph showing how is F1 carbon footprint distributed by activities linked to the sport. Anyone wants to guess what is the carbon footprint of ICE they are running now as a percentage of the total? That would be an enormous 0.7%. Logistics took an overwhelming part of that pie chart - fans travel and F1 travel was totaling somewhere above 66.6%. Of course, if we just put more efficient engines in the cars or even go electric, total footprint would be close to 0.

Why do we have to be so darn insane as a species? All the time at that. We don't seem to ever rest in that activity ...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It's been quite a while since science had much to do with the public's perception of climate change. It is now overwhelmingly political, and decisions are made on what will appeal to the public, no matter how illogical. If F1 was really concerned about carbon emissions, as opposed to public opinion of them, they would drastically reduce or eliminate the traveling circus that zips thousands of tons of equipment around the world many times each year. Instead, let's power the cars with Crisco and ask fans to walk or bike to the circuits. That will help Lewis sleep better on his 50th flight of the year.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts