Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Really
Granted Ferrari has Charles but give the years (how many ?) of disarray & screwups by their team leaders how could anyone come to the that conclusion ?
Vettel should have cleaned up when he went to Ferrari but has been a second row driver that didn't even when he clearly had the control of many races.
I am bias for Max and think he does a lot with inferior car. He is also no the crazy kid of a few years ago.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Verstappen is Vettel 2.0. Not Hamilton 2.0. Makes more sense for him to replace Vettel.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I would agree with that but Ver hasn't won 4 championships as Vettel had when he went to Ferrari

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I am not sure yet that there is Hamilton 2.0 on the grid yet. If there is, I am suspecting that Leclerc might be the one, not Verstappen. No, not for the right foot skill, but for the mental setup. Right foot wins qualifying and occasional race, mental fortitude wins champioships.

Continuing from that, Leclerc has shown exactly what he needed to show when the team shoved a lot of excrement down his throat. He first did it, THEN he was totally mad about it and conveyed that to the team in no uncertain terms. Verstappen never had to eat crap, we have no clue where he is in the head.

So, if Hamilton does go to Ferrari, I would ask clean swap Hamilton - Leclerc if I were Mercedes team boss. Of course, if I were Ferrari boss, I would LMAO at that proposal.

Please don't get me wrong, there is probably a lot more entertaiment potential in Verstappen than in anybody else on the grid and I want him in a competitive car as a spectator. But that is different from wanting him as a team boss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem understanding Paul DiResta ??

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
LOL, usually I get most of it but like all Scots it sometimes becomes a challenge. Happy to put up with the occasional miss of a word or phrase, as he is generally excellent and is probably my second favourite Sky commentator (next to Ted). Martin Brundle, on the other hand, is way past his best-by date. Seems a nice fellow, but his rambling monologues and the wince-inducing grid walk have me reaching for the mute button too often.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't think Haas can afford Alonso and he wouldn't sign with a mid to back of the field team anyhow. Much as I would like to see RoGro find a new line of work. Demolition derby perhaps.

Merc would be looney to take Fernando instead of Lewis. Or Max. And with a Honda in the back of the RB, no way that Alonso would get signed there. I think Marko is right about Liberty.

Who else would take Alonso? Not Ferrari; he burned bridges there as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The gift that keeps on giving. We are 8 months ahead of the official "silly season" yet stories are coming in like if it were June of 2020 :)

Latest iterations:

- Toto Wolff AND Lewis Hamilton go to Ferrari because Mercedes still needs to confirm long term intentions (hardly a given)

- Vettel is going to McLaren

- Max Verstappen exluded possibility to team up with Leclerc because "you cannot have two number one drivers". Which leaves Mercedes door wide open - IF they decide to stay and are still competitive

I will have to agree that Wolff-Hamilton package sounds WAY more probable than Hamilton alone going to Maranello. Ferrari certainly has the money. They would have 2 years of head scratching before Hamilton retires or moves on, then they have Wolff, Leclerc and head-healthy team to do another 1999-2004 5 years steam roller.

Hah! Whodda thunk ...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I can't decide which of those two rumors is more ridiculous. Seb talked to Andreas Seidel, which is not surprising since they are both German and have known each other for years. That is about the entirety of the "evidence" that the report was based on.

Hamilton to Maranello, maybe, but I cannot see Toto in red. A Ferrari team principal from Austria? And how is his Italian? No way.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I can't decide which of those two rumors is more ridiculous. Seb talked to Andreas Seidel, which is not surprising since they are both German and have known each other for years. That is about the entirety of the "evidence" that the report was based on.

Hamilton to Maranello, maybe, but I cannot see Toto in red. A Ferrari team principal from Austria? And how is his Italian? No way.
Well, it is not like Jean Todt was speaking Romagnolo dialect. If I remember correctly (possibly not), I lived in Italy when they started the partnership and he would speak English (not French) to TV when interviewed. But my memory is very bad, could be totally wrong.

Ross Brawn. Rory Byrne. Both followed Schumacher from Benetton to Ferrari. So, German driver, French team boss, two Brits - one as a designer, other as technical director. None really spoke italian and this group managed to engineer the biggest steamroller F1 has seen since ... well, Williams from '92 through '96.

Maybe Ferrari IS looking at the rearview mirror?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Good points. Maybe that’s why Ferrari has said that they will veto Toto becoming F1 head honcho.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just wanted to document here that the coverage of F1 on Jalopnik.com is absolute garbage.

Oof.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Just wanted to document here that the coverage of F1 on Jalopnik.com is absolute garbage.

Oof.

Yeah, pretty sad. That said, I do not see any downturn on Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes or Preakness Stakes. Speak about obsolete tech ...

I know I am nostalgic, but the sooner F1 goes back to glass-shattering, earth-shaking V10 or V12 kinetic motivators, the longer will GP of Monaco be the most televised event of the year.

I know younguns cannot possibly understand primordial appeal of that herd running amok mere feet from your body while you cannot breathe and earth shakes like a small earthquake. But if they could try, maybe, just maybe, they would accept how little do lap times mean when watching the race live on the track.

You cannot grow infinitely and you cannot please everyone. Maybe sticking to your roots will contract your business, but it just might make you stay alive for the next 50 years. And still make money.

My $0.02 and worth possibly less.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
This is probably not new to those of you who on top of F1 stuff but just read in Dec Pano (which means it's months old) that McLaren will be running Mercedes engines in 2021 and that former Porsche racing boss Andreas Seidl is at McLaren also they will be running an Indy car next; maybe that will work better than F1 has ??

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You are correct, that is very old news. Seidl was appointed almost a year ago - a great hire by Zak. The Merc engine switch was announced earlier this year. I think McLaren are teaming with an existing Indy team moving forward. They need help after the embarassment at Indy earlier this year.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts