Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
I understand, they were more entertaining then the current Sky crew, but Sky has a LOT more to offer during the coverage. IMO.

Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
Way more entertaining... veteran racer and Renault tech... it was the perfect combo... Diffey was good too...

Registered
After recently watching a lot of somewhat older races, I will dissent. I love the older "analog" cars and there were certainly some charismatic drivers, but the racing wasn't any better on average and,with the exception of James Hunt, the BBC coverage which we got back then was inferior compared to Sky today. (I have never seen Hobbs or Matchett). And this is coming from someone that thinks Martin Brundle is senile and should be put to pasture. Murray Walker lasted long enough to be considered a classic, but he was pretty brutal as an announcer.

As for Hungary this week, bring on the rain, the heat or a plague of locusts; anything to shake these guys up.

Reactions: CinciOH

Registered
Cincy, I still have cable as well as a few streaming services, including F1TV. I record the races on the PVR just in case the stream dies. Besides, the pre-race shows on F1TV are inferior. For some reason they aren't using the Sky feed.

Registered
You guys must have just started watching F1... Hobbs-cap and Match have only been gone for two years as commentators..
modern racing is loaded with a bunch of whiny punks with steering wheels... 鈥渉e cut me off鈥 鈥 he ran me off the track鈥 鈥 that crash was his fault 鈥. It鈥檚 f鈥檌ng racing... what is considered a racing incident vs a real elbow job is for the most part stupid... that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 tired of... just race, race hard... the cars are brittle so you know how it ends if you touch. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I have actually been following F1 for quite a while. The Hobbs crew were on NBC, not the world feed, which was BBC and now is Sky.

I would argue that the drivers of the past were every bit as petulant, but they didn't have them miked. Watch Schumacher go after Coulthard or Senna and Prost have their hissy fits. Same DNA

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Disgusting. And unwatchable.

That more than anything sums up this weekend 15 minutes after the race is over. I know "print" will go gaga over it and make it into finish better than '76 Championship, but I fully call BS.

Just to say it again ... You have one of the best talents ever to drive F1 car. He is driving the fastest car on the grid by at least 1 second over closest competitor other than teammate (eternity in F1). In a car that is one of the most reliable cars on the grid (no DNFs). And, when anything goes wrong, he is the only one to take advantage of it while everybody else, teammate included, is brutally punished.

Friday practice showed Mercedes struggling again because of high heat - struggling enough to put them on equal footing with two other teams. Looked promising. Surely enough, somebody made sure that qualifying AND the race will be held with 20-25 degrees F cooler weather. Not 5, not 10 degrees ... 25, right in the optimal temp for that car. Seriously?

Turns out that the chassis still ate tires more than the competitors and same tire (front left) failed on both cars right at the end of the race. Bottas got screwed and ended out of the points, Hamilton's tire blew at just the right moment to get him a race win for 6 crucial seconds. Mind you, no otherwordly skill here in driving the car on 3 tires, just pure, dumb luck. Oh, yes, also important. That tire blowout that screwed Bottas completely out of even a single point? That same event pushed Red Bull to do the most logical thing and go for fresh tires on Verstappen's car. A move which also gave dumb luck win to Lewis Hamilton.

How can we even watch rest of the season? I mean, what else needs to happen that will not favor the guy who least needs luck and God's favors?

I know this might sound like I hate on Hamilton, but it really isn't about that. And I really do not hate the guy. There is also a list of other things that happened this weekend that made it bad, but I will stop here for now. Simply unbelievable. If you wrote a script for the movie and you wrote in exactly what happened in 2019 season and first races of 2020 in it, culminating in 2020 British GP, nobody would buy it because it is/it would be totally unbelievable and way over the top. As they say, reality is always more fictional than the fiction.

Registered
Ya I have to agree... this season is just a lame continuation from last year.... the sport has lost its way.... Mercedes shouldn鈥檛 be punished because they got it right, but they鈥檒l continue to dominate until we change the rules.... of course LH will surpass MS... how couldn鈥檛 he!?!?

Registered
F1 has always been this way. The fastest driver in the fastest car will usually win. The fastest driver in not the fastest car will often find a way to win. The fastest car without the fastest driver will frequently not win. It's F1. If You want guaranteed tight racing, then you need to introduce methods to equalize cars through the season. Is that what you want? I certainly don't. Then it's Indy car or NASCAR, and I won't watch it.
I thoroughly enjoyed today's race, particularly the mid-field races. Watching Hamilton is just being able to observe precision, a fine watch ticking away to the ultimate result. It's racing though and things happen, and it did today. Watching Norris and Ricciardo and ... bringing it on is a great. The real disappointment was Hulkenberg not taking the start. Sigh.
MOO

Registered
Hulk never got the drive he deserved imo... I鈥檓 holding out for Mick!!! I hope he tear鈥檚 it up man!! Your right tho, the fastest car/driver usually wins... Hamilton is able to have precision because there is no one challenging him (for the most part)

Registered
Hulk never got the drive he deserved imo... I鈥檓 holding out for Mick!!! I hope he tear鈥檚 it up man!! Your right tho, the fastest car/driver usually wins... Hamilton is able to have precision because there is no one challenging him (for the most part)
I see it in the exact reverse. He's not seriously and consistently challenged largely because of his precision. He's a surgeon in his car.

Registered
I see it in the exact reverse. He's not seriously and consistently challenged largely because of his precision. He's a surgeon in his car.
He is, but he can afford to be precise because I don鈥檛 see him being challenged...

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
The real disappointment was Hulkenberg not taking the start. Sigh.
MOO
Exactly what I was saying in a very long post above. Hulk might be the fastest guy nobody ever heard about. Granted, couple of times in the past he himself found a way to inhelp himself, but speak about rotten luck ...

If you tell me that Albon's lack of luck today stems from his lack of confidence this weekend (crashed big in FP2 or FP3, can't remember) while Verstappen had no problems whatsoever, I will agree. But Bottas had no such confidence or skill issues.

Think Germany GP last year. It was a clustercrash festival for everybody. But Bottas lost control and was out, while Hamilton, after losing control and crashing the front wing, slid back onto the track with less than a foot margin to immediately enter the pits instead of missing it and needing a lap with broken front wing. Today? Bottas out for all practical purposes (0 points), same misfortune happens to Hamilton and it results in a win. C'mon!

Granted, if we banned Mercedes from competing this year, after two races we will all moan about Verstappen and how every race he leaves the field at least 20 to 30 seconds behind (look at the gaps this year before he went for fastest lap tire change, not end of race). If you agree, stop and think about it for a minute. Guy who is doing Michael Schumacher dumping to the rest of the field is of no consequence whatsoever to win a race. Sorry, one Michael Schumacher or Ayrton Senna or Sebastian Vettel I can take, three of them are a bit too much.

And you are right, racing for 5th - 12th place gets better this year with each race.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
Imagine having four laps remaining and the front of the field sees their tires delaminate. Then the race ends, drivers go to the podium and plop the hat bearing the logo of the sole tire manufacturer on their head.

Registered
Imagine having four laps remaining and the front of the field sees their tires delaminate. Then the race ends, drivers go to the podium and plop the hat bearing the logo of the sole tire manufacturer on their head.
Pirelli has designed the tires to F1's specifications, to make the race more exciting and to require at least 1 pit stop This is why this stuff happens, not because of Pirelli. I'm not a fan of theirs but I feel for them trying to meet so many disparate goals.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts