Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Due to the lighting... The small car has light from the camera LED (blue light) while the bigger one has light from the regular light bulbs (yellow light).
But I think this is a great example of how the color may appear under different circumstances - either blue or teal...
Yeah, I was joking. The best shot at that picture if using cell phone is outdoor on a slightly cloudy day. Place the model car on the hood or roof and then take a picture.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
Great new GT4 in perfect blue.Enjoy!
Looking forward reading your experiences with this dream car.
I guess you will take insurance when driving this one on the track ?
Reading last week there is a recall for the 4.0 engine !? Are you aware?
Have question about yr previous Cayman 981 (same a mine)
You changed the brakes to 718 Cayman S breaks.
Why not to 981 Cayman S ?
Regards
Peter

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Last Sunday (25th) I finally drove the car as it was meant to be driven - aka I attended a track day close to where I live. And here are my impressions...

First of all, the track... It is called Transilvania Motor Ring and it opened 2 years ago. It is build on top of a hill and, over the past 2 years, the hill started to move... The track is, as such, very bumpy and, in parts, dangerous. I new bump appeared on a heavy braking zone - braking from 210kph / 130 mph for a chicane - and that caught me off-guard. Hence I used the run off space and no drama:

Some repairs will be done to the track but they will only start at the end of May. There is another track day scheduled before and I am planning to attend that one as well.

The event (trackday) was organized by a rally driving school and it was extremely crowded. That is a good thing, in general, since I prefer to see people pushing their cars on track instead of the public roads, but not ideal for me because I really wanted to see what the car is capable of and there was no space. One thing that really annoyed me is that the drivers were only occasionally watching their rear view mirrors and, a lot of drivers were using the ideal line even on cool down laps and with faster cars coming from behind. I think I had 1 or 2 laps without traffic (out of the 54 laps the Porsche Track Precision App recorded until the phone died) and these were with passengers. So I couldn't really push 100% and the car was noticeably heavier with 90kg / 200 lbs extra. None the less, I managed a 1:42.6 with the GT4 (alone in the car), l compared to 1:48.5 with the 981 Black Edition. I can still go lower - traffic, different suspension setup, better driver.
Here is the best lap:

The data overlay is from the Porsche Track Precision App.
All in all, it was nice to spend some time on the track with some new and old friends.

Next up, the best passenger lap, a few more things about the car setup and a few ideas about the video and data overlay.
Any thoughts / advices are welcome.
Cheers!

P.S. Found a good use for the rear spoiler :) - drying the T-Shirt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Since I anticipate I will be very busy over the next days (Easter, spending time with the family, etc) and since I also received some photos of the car, I thought of sharing those and sharing the impressions of the car from the previous track day (without the passenger lap video yet).

So, photos first :) :

And about the car:
  • awesome engine - pulls like crazy (for my standards) and it's extremely responsive
  • awesome engine noise from inside the cabin. I only need a louder exhaust for the people watching but that is not important right now :).
  • the car is definitely more rigid compared to the 981 Black Edition even if the 981 was with the sport chassis turned on and the 718 is with the sport suspension turned off. The 718 is definitely better suited for trackdays - no surprises there :))
  • the brakes are great but they do need some improvements - started fading if pushed hard for a lot of laps. I will have the Manthey Racing pads and the steel brake lines which should solve the problem. My car is not unbalanced when braking hard from high speeds, like other cars over here on stock setup.
  • the cars' balance is great, but not exceptional. Please keep in mind I am 100% stock, I have not changed the alignment or sway bars. The car understeers more than I would like but I guess this will be solved in July when I visit Manthey Racing as well.
  • the Porsche Track Precision App is absolutely awesome! I highly recommend it for the trackday videos.
  • can't really feel the aero working because I am a bit too afraid to push in the areas where the aero is important.

All in all I love the way the car handles on track and it is clear that, besides the small alignment and brake mods, I should spend more time perfecting my skills.
None the less, this trip is a good starting point to measure the progress.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And the only passenger lap I didn't encounter any traffic is the best one - imagine that :). I am only 0.4 sec slower than the lap above and, usually the passenger is costing me more than that... So there still is room for improvement.

Any advice is welcome!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts