Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
After returning from Nurgurgring I was really curious to see how the new alignment settings feel.
So, I went to my local track with high hopes... The day started weirdly... we were expecting high temperatures but it rained in the morning - hence the dirt on my tires

Than is warmed up to 30+ degrees (Celsius). I started doing my regular laps and I kid you not, I have a different car...
The biggest differences are:
  • I can definitely feel the increased camber as the car is not understeering so much mid corner
  • when braking heavily and trying to tail brake, the car used to understeer. Now the car is very well balanced and I can get under or oversteer.
  • the tire wear is much better - no excessive wear on the outside.
  • the car feels overall, much better balanced than before (btw, the sway bars are still mid-mid).
I now understand why Manthey said that if I keep the OEM dampers their alignment and OEM suspension upgrade is a must.
That being said, I still think I need more camber and tires that can handle heat better :).

By best time was improved by about 0.5 sec. but I made a number of mistakes on my fastest lap:

I estimate if I were to have a similar lap (aka similar driving) with my previous best lap, I would be another second faster. If that is correct, to gain 1.5 seconds on a 1:42 is a lot...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The month of July was very busy with trackdays... I've already told you about the Nurburgring and Transilvania Motor Ring ones, just one more left: Red Bull Ring. Here it comes :)...
My goal is to visit as many F1 tracks as possible (and not only, I would like to see other historic tracks - for example I would love to go to Laguna Seca) and when I heard that some people I know are going on a tour around Europe and having a trackday at Red Bull Ring, I couldn't pass the opportunity.
I've met the people from SpeedSector.com in 2018 when they rented the Hungaroring track and I wanted to test the 981 Cayman. That event was top notch so I expected nothing less from this trip :).
Their trip was all around Italy (Venice, Alps, etc) and I only joined them for 2 nights. The accommodation was awesome - a restored castle. If you happen to be in the region, I truly recommend it: Schloss Gabelhofen. The company was also great and the cars attending were awesome...
There were a lot of supercars and for me to get compliments about my car coming from McLaren 720S or other supercar owners is a new thing :).

Unfortunately I don't yet have all the photos from the organizer, but I hope they will come shortly.
I will discuss the trackday experience in the following posts, for now just some photos I have.

Accommodation:

Proof that Red Bull does give you wings

Cars attending... The organizer usually has the best / most expensive cars upfront so it was an honour for me to be on the 3rd row... I think if I would have had a more "normal" colour I would have been further down the grid. PS. You can easily see the difference in colour between the Shark Blue 992 GT3 and the Sapphire Blue 991.2 Turbo.

Other photos:

Thanks for watching, have a great Sunday!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Man, those are some cool pictures! So ... please tell ... how exactly does off camber turn 4 feel in a street car? Also, how does super-tight turn 3 feel? Finally, we have a similar elevation change (almost free fall) fall from second last to last turn on a local track here - so how does nailing full throttle on exit of 9 and staying on it through turn 10 to front straight feel in your stomach? Can you do it in a car with only mechanical grip? Let us know, please ... :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
:). Sorry, for the late response - I've been crazy busy over the past few days and I also wanted to edit the video...

Before answering your questions, some general impressions about the track and the event.
I originally thought there was going to be an open pit lane event but it turned out to be only 5x25min sessions. But that what enough... The cars were split into 2 groups: street and race. The race group contained fast cars, extremely fast cars (720S, AMG GT GT3, a number of racing 911 GT3 class cars) but also some extremely slow cars: Ford Puma, Chevrolet Cruze. In most parts, there were not problems, I would get out of the faster cars way and that was happening for me as well. Thankfully it wasn't a huge number of cars in my group so I could really learn the track.

The track itself is a decent track - safe and great to improve your driving skills. I think, I like it least of the all F1 track I've visited (Spa, Nurburgring GP, Hungaroring) but it is clearly above the Romanian tracks I visit (Transilvania Motor Ring and Romania Motorpark).

There are 3 straight that I'm not so keen about but if you have a 800+ hp car (there were a few), you can obliterate anyone on the straights. As a comparison, the 720S would gain 5 sec / straight (just by looking at the 100-200km difference of 5 sec).
  • Turn 1, turn 3 are turns where traction is super important. But no real challenges - except for the fact that the exit is super important.
  • Turn 4 is quite an easy one for me - no drama, just a bit of understeer.
  • Turn 6 is one of my favorite ones... It is, as you say @CinciOH off camber and that makes it even more interesting :). By having an early apex approach and by tail-braking up to the apex, I can get the car to behave exactly as I want it to. Just by being on the brakes I can induce understeer or oversteer. Others prefer a late apex approach but for me it makes no sense as the next corner is 100m/yards away.
  • Turn 7 is a bit more challenging as it is hard-ish to be fast without understeer.
  • Turn 9 is also one I like and I don't feel I have mastered it yet... More practice is required.
  • Turn 10 is a strange one... I am in between gears (2 is too low, 3 is to high). I definitely brake for this corner as I consider a slow-in, fast-out approach is better suited since there is a straight coming. What I find extremely interesting is that, when I try to use the kerbs on the left, they seem to pull me to the outside of the corner. I have not experienced this effect the kerbs have on my car anywhere else. As such I have to be applying more steering angle and by doing this on the kerbs I am only destroying the Cup2's. So I decided to stay off them.

Here is my best lap of the day

Advice / comments are always welcomed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
And one last trackday experience for 2021...
Last Saturday, I managed to visit Hungaroring (another Formula 1 track), first time since the COVID madness started... I used to go there 2-3 times a year previously, but 2020 onwards, because of the restrictions to enter Hungary and because of some registration modifications, I didn't manage to attend any trackdays over there.

Anyway, I am pleased to say I really enjoyed this last trackday experience...
First up, some organizational points:
  • they only allowed 15 cars / session. Even someone really well connected couldn't get the marshals to overlook this rule (thumbs up from me)
  • there is a 105 db noise limit. Many tracks have noise limits but I was actually surprised to see they measured all cars. The test is done at 4k RPM with opened valves and at 40 cm from the exhaust at a 90 degree angle - I was way below the limit (@93 db)
  • I only managed 15 laps (including the warm-up and cool down laps) because of some incidents on track that either shortened or completely cancelled my sessions.

Then, about my laps...
  • the weather was very cold - had the first session at 7 degrees Celsius (~44 degrees Fahrenheit) and finished the last session, at noon, at 13 degrees Celsius (~55 degrees Fahrenheit). This was the ambient temperature, don't know how warm the track was, but it felt like I was on ice. I had massive issues to put some heat in the Cup 2's hence the Traction Control (TC) was intervening at each corner.
  • because of the lack of traction, the car was very alive but I enjoyed it a lot. Great fun if you don't crash the car :).
  • I am nowhere near what the car can do, but at least I have a reference for the future visits.
  • my best time was 2:07.66 - which is about 8 seconds faster than the 981 (2.7) time. Please consider the GT4 time is with an 80kg passenger.

And last but not least, the car...
  • on track it is awesome. I absolutely love it. I know there are a lot of areas where I can improve but that was the whole point of buying the GT4... to allow me to perfect my skills.
  • mods wise, I need more front camber...
  • I can't really say I enjoy the car to/from the track... It is too harsh and loud :(.
  • when returning from the track I got a speeding ticket (the previous one was ~10 years ago). I was doing 74km/h (46 mph) in a 50km/h zone (31 mph). I naturally got a ticket and the policemen said: "I would like to congratulate you for having this car and only going this fast" :).

Here is the best lap video:

Next up: photos from this event (after I manage to find the photographers)
Any advice / comment is, as usually, welcomed!
Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Cool track day!

I have a question about noise measurements. This is coming here even in the middle of cornfields of Ohio, I am sure of that. What you said about measuring makes very little sense. Many track cars are very, very low on the dB/rpm graph at 4,000 rpm. I know my Cayman barely opened variocam @ 4,000 (and it will not open it if you have partial throttle) and is very silent.

How do they extrapolate that from varying engine configurations? Was 4,000 rpm specifically for your Cayman or every other car was measured at same rpm? Just curious ...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I doubt it is specific to each car - at least at Hungaroring. The person making the measurements didn't care and didn't look at the car's maximum RPM or anything. He just told me to keep it steady at 4k RPM and to open the flaps. I noticed him giving similar directions to the other participants (I don't understand Hungarian, but all other were apparently doing the same).
I think a fly by is a much better way of measuring the sound - as that is the one that counts.
BTW, the noise regulations were imposed due to the people leaving close to the track, complaining about the noise (in general).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thank you for the information. Yes, if I understood correctly, when it is measured here, it is on a straight at full throttle and max rpm.

In any case, this is classic. Track has been there since 1986 for F1 racing. You buy a nice house in 2010 and all of a sudden, idiots make a racetrack close to your and now it is noisy. It just appeared out of nowhere. You have to sue someone. Yes, sarcasm.

I am even more shocked that they seem to be listening to people complaining about noise at Spa which held races since 1928. I mean, where does it stop? When will someone reply to these people "you didn't do due diligence when buying your property, it is your problem now, sell the house if you don't like it"?

Ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: v_rex

·
Registered
430 Posts
Folks didn't like the aroma of roasting chili peppers. Raised enough ire to get Sarachi to relocate.

Can hear the Saturday night dirt track off in a distance from my porch.

I actually find both appealing.

Perhaps if I was next door to the track or I was roasting chili's by the ton, I might object? Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Awesome pictures. But that brand new asphalt is making me cringe. How was the grip? I had one scary experience with freshly paved road here, but I would like to think that they use something slightly different for track resurfacing. I'm really curious how it was compared to before - that was your "home track", right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It was super slippery as you can see here (TC was going on at al most each corner):

Not sure if it was the weather (7-13 Celsius degrees in the air) or the asphalt...
Yes, theoretically this is the track I visited most times. But I haven't been there since 2019, so it is debatable how well I now the track :). I left a lot of time on the table as I've seen GT4's going almost 10 seconds faster than the above time...

61 - 73 of 73 Posts